Nixter is offline Associate Member

Which "breads" have the lowest carbs?

Just wondering which type of bread-type foods have the lowest carbs. Things like Pita bread, naan bread, bagels, eng muffins etc, etc. Is there something that I can be using instead of whole wheat bread to lessen my carb count?

Nixter.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    hmm ... ever think of going to the grocery store and finding out for yourself ???

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    White Bread

You're simplifying this too much, there's much more to the picture than just the amount of carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    hmm ... ever think of going to the grocery store and finding out for yourself ???
    Most bread like products don't print the carb content on the package. Maybe it's different in the states. Also, there's this wonderful thing here called the "diet forum", so I'd thought give it go. Guess I should have thought twice huh?

Nixter.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    White Bread

You're simplifying this too much, there's much more to the picture than just the amount of carbs.
    I realize that. My question was specifically regarding carbs though.

Nixter.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixter
    Most bread like products don't print the carb content on the package. Maybe it's different in the states.
    where the funk you live boy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixter
    Also, there's this wonderful thing here called the "diet forum", so I'd thought give it go. Guess I should have thought twice huh?
    nah, you just caught me in the middle of a smart-ass mood

Canada.

Most foods have it listed but some just don't.

Nixter.

FmRommel is offline Member
    Well like Sab said thats a pretty simple way of looking at it...however if youre simply looking for bread with low carbs they actually sell low carb breads all over the place now. Some of them dont taste too bad either. Most are made with a good amount of fiber and soy protein....check a health food store should be good.
    FM

rambo is offline The Lord God
    It may not be the amount of carbs you should be concerned with when looking at breads...it's the TYPE. You need to check the glycemic indexes of the breads you want to eat, and the lower the better. White bread, and pita have the highest GI's. e.g. 30 grams of low gi carbs are better than say, 20 grams of high gi carbs. Send me a pm, and I'll email you a .pdf that has most of the bread indexes listed.

hybrid is offline Member
    Look for breads with the word "whole" as the first ingredient. Also look for breads with 5 grams of fiber or more per piece. These are the ones that have the lower gi carbs and are better for you. Around here there is a brand called "Natural Ovens". They make a bunch of varieties of whole grain breads that are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid
    Look for breads with the word "whole" as the first ingredient. Also look for breads with 5 grams of fiber or more per piece. These are the ones that have the lower gi carbs and are better for you. Around here there is a brand called "Natural Ovens". They make a bunch of varieties of whole grain breads that are very good.
    Yep, I've always eaten Whole wheat bread, high in fibre.

Nixter.

Jeremy34 is offline Member
    I have eaten Nature's Own "100% whole wheat" for several years. After comparing many different kinds, it was the best. It has only 10g carbs per slice, and also has 4 grams of protein per slice. It might just be me, but I really like the taste. Nature's Own also came out with a specific low carb bread, it says "low carbohydrate" in green on the label. I think its like 7 grams of carbs per slice along with like 4 or 5 grams of protein, but I didn't think it tasted as good. Nature's Own is expensive, but if you go to the bread store and get the day old bread, will save you some money. Just my .02, hope it helps.

J

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    organic 12 grain bread of death burn 100 cals just trying to chew it 22 carbs 1 fiber 1.5 unfat 4 protein 110 cals per slice

Thread Information