THORSZ is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Question Milk? Good or bad?

I have heard people say to avoid milk because it will make you fat and others say they drink it by the gallon. Saveral cutting diets say to stop drinking milk a few weeks before a competition. Please share your opion on milk. Thanks

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    "Milk is for babies, Men drink beer" - Arnold

Ok sorry had to let that out. I personally dont drink any milk at all. It all depends on your goals I suppose. Are you bulking or cutting up??

rambo is offline The Lord God
    What are your goals?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Milk sucks. The carbs it contains are ALL SUGAR. Even if you are bulking, there are far more productive choices!

Humans are the only species that drink the milk of other animals.......................what does that tell you?

~SC~

I also never drink milk anyway, but I'm starting to think swole had a tramautizing experience with it as a youngster

THORSZ is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    What are your goals?

Looking to drop about ten pounds. I was thinking of cutting milk out of my protein drinks

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    I've been wondering about this myself lately...I had always heard milk was not good for cutting, but then how do you explain the recent studies showing a strong correlation between a high-dairy diet and fat loss? The studies i've read about have shown that people on a high dairy diet lost a much greater percentage of body fat than the control groups. Check out this article
    http://www.cdrf.org/newsletter/dbsum02/dbeat1.htm
    I personally don't like milk anyway, but splenda-sweetened nonfat yogurt and skim lattes are nice additions to my day.

There's been an influx recently in the amount of "studies" being published by companies who produce both the product being studied, and the study about the product. If you are still with me, then you get it. Don't forget that carbs are the enemy while cutting, and milk is full of sugary carbs. Why bother? There are much better sources of protein. Never trust a study that's not impartial.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    It is high in carb, as others have said. If you are not taking in any dairy you should consider supplementing with calcium tabs. Calcium is one of the electrolytes.

THORSZ is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Well, I think I will try taking milk out of my diet. I'll let everyone know the result. Thanks everyone.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    one interesting thing i just read is that although the sugars in milk are low GI because they come from lactose, they ellicit a high Insulin Response according to the insulin index...as for me I'm sticking with low fat cottage cheese and fat free cheese for my dairy intake.

Danielle is offline Female Member
    i've heard both myself.............regardless, i love milk and i would never give it up..........i drink about a gallon every couple days.....no joke
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    Maybe there are better sources of protein, but I'm a firm believer that you have to have some variety if you want to stick to a diet...maybe I could eat chicken all day, or i could eat chicken, and yogurt, and some sugar free fat free ice cream or pudding. And I don't think I need to mention the benefits of the calcium in dairy products, especially for women like myself. Sure, there are calcium supplements, but vitamins and minerals are much more bioavailable when they come from food. I have heard about the insulin index thing myself, but I'm not sure about the role it plays in digestion...all I'm saying is that I don't think we should completely rule out milk as an option. Just do a little research and decide for yourself before you just take someone else's word for it.
    Swole- Humans are also the only species that has sex for reasons other than procreation

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim2884
    Swole- Humans are also the only species that has sex for reasons other than procreation
    Amen to that

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    For my goals and those I train, I do rule it out as an option.

Once there (@ your goal) you may wish to introduce milk into your diet for whatever reason, but I'd advise against doing so until you are @ your respective fat loss goal.

~SC~

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    Milk is evil!

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Only milk for me is a small amount in my coffee. Other than that its a big NO NO. Makes me look too soft!

~US~

Thread Information