Polska is offline Anabolic Member

How to make whey digest slower at night...

I want a slow release of protein for night time to keep catabolism to its absolute minimum. My supplement store charges an arm and a leg for 'slow digesting' protein opposed to straight whey. What can I mix with the whey... so far before I go to bed I've been mixing it completely with milk and a few raw eggs.

Kato is offline Member
    flax seed oil.....sorry i don't have the 5 page answer as to why flax works but i know it does!

Andre Avigdor is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    I want a slow release of protein for night time to keep catabolism to its absolute minimum. My supplement store charges an arm and a leg for 'slow digesting' protein opposed to straight whey. What can I mix with the whey... so far before I go to bed I've been mixing it completely with milk and a few raw eggs.
    I take 250grams of fat free cottage cheese along with 3 X omega 3/6/9 and 3 X flax seed oil caps before bed... it's been working well for me and it's cheap!

The type of protein you find in good old cottage cheese is Casein... Casein is the opposite of whey. It is an insoluble, slow-digesting, milk derived protein. Casein has been shown to be anti-catabolic in several studies but has no effect on increasing protein synthesis. So what is it good for: Casein gels in the stomach and is slow to digest. In fact it takes casein at least 2.5 hours to digest and up to 4 in some cases. For that reason it is good at any meal other than post workout. Casein is an excellent choice especially right before bed since it gives you a slow stream of aminos over about 3-4 hours and prevents muscle breakdown. You need this slow stream of aminos since your body will be going 8 hours without any protein.
    Last edited by Andre Avigdor; 11-27-2003 at 08:13 PM.

Thread Information