bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member

Natural vs. Regular Peanut butter

For everyone that does not consume commercial peanut butter due to added sugar and trans fat content should really take a look at this article that my girlfriend found. It definately caught my eye because i do like having regular peanut butter from time to time. Here it is: http://www.peanut-institute.org/05-0...-fatty_PR.html let me know what you guys think about it.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Remember that the publisher of that article is promoting their own product (peanuts). The added sugar is useless, and 20% more trans fatty acid is still 20% more than you need. Nothing wrong with eating it on a cheat day, but when it comes to daily use, natural PB is still king.

Well according to the article it said only 2% of transfat which leads to .0032g per serving, so it seems negligable. Now im not going to be consuming regular peanut butter by the jarful, but it is an interesting thing. Also i do see your point on who it's funded by and i will keep that in mind as well.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Natural pb is the only way to go.

~SC~

hell ill just make it even easier and go with walnuts....i like em better anyway and they have 2.5g of omega 3's

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    I think you're all just paranoid...the peanut institute put the article on their website, but they did not FUND the study...the USDA did, and they have nothing to gain from promoting commercial peanut butter. When food labels are required to include values for trans fat in 2006, you will see 0g on a jar of skippy...so why the hell would you spend more money on something that tastes worse for the sake of sparing yourself three THOUSANDTHS of a gram of trans fat?

any other opinions on this...also if someone can give me some scientific proof as to why Natural is very much superior or an article that disproves the one i pasted please post it.

The scientific proof is on the back of the label. If you really want to eat Reese's peanut butter there is nothing any of us can do to stop you.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    The scientific proof is on the back of the label. If you really want to eat Reese's peanut butter there is nothing any of us can do to stop you.
    First of all I aint eating reese's peanut butter...secondly there is an article above that gives factual data funded by the USDA all im asking for is something to disprove the thousandth of a gram of trans fat...feel free to provide that because the back of the label also only says 2% or less.

SirBen187 is offline Junior Member
    Only thing I see wrong with natural PB is that it tastes like mortar.

Types of fats aside (which don't matter for $hit when I eat steak like no tomorrow but also take in tons of EFA's in tablespoon form), I wouldn't choose that Skippy or Jif crap, simply because it has added sugar in it.

A handful of almonds are also great, and again, no sugar.

~SC~

I can see your point on the sugar, but there's still only 3g in regular peanut butter, as opposed to 1g in natural...3g isn't gonna do anything to your insulin levels, especially considering the amount of fat in peanut butter and the 2g of fiber. And I don't think that's enough sugar to worry about anyway...a serving of broccoli has 2g of sugars...should we stop eating that too? I know this type of sugar is naturally occurring, but it's still sugar, and considering how everyone condemns the naturally occurring sugars in milk, I don't see how this would be any different.

Fine. Eat regular peanut butter. My head will hit the pillow at the same speed everynight. We aren't here to validate your poor diet choices.

No offense kim, but brocolli sugars are different from table sugar included in peanut butter like Jif, Skippy, etc. I know you acknowledged that, but don't know if you understand what that translates into when you introduce other macronutrients into the meal.

As well, brocolli is virtually fat free, whereas peanut butter of course is not. Anytime you have added sugar in items, especially when they contain large amounts of fat, you're in trouble.

You'd also be surprised how insulin sensitive some are, so yes, "that little bit" would matter that much.

~SC~

Fine. Eat regular peanut butter. My head will hit the pillow at the same speed everynight. We aren't here to validate your poor diet choices.
    Hey pal instead of trying to patronize others, try to contribute non-opinionated facts...if you cant do that then click to the next post.

Swole: thanx for some actual facts, this is all i was asking for.
    Last edited by bigsd67; 12-01-2003 at 08:59 PM.

Sure "pal" i stated numerous times that trans fat was not an issue. The amount in normal peanut butter IS negligible. I stated this several posts up. I am referring to the fact that some peanut butters have up to 6 grams of sugar per TBSP. That's 12 grams of sugar. Not only is this sugar, but some brands contain High Fructose Corn Syrup, the worst type of sugar. Take a look at a label and read off to me the numerous amounts of crap that is piled in to normal peanut butter. Natural peanut butter has the following ingredients: Peanuts, Salt. So it's up to you- as I stated ALREADY in a previous post, it's fine to eat in a cheat day. But it's downright destructive for you to eat something when there is a suitable, more constructive alternative. Again, your choice, it won't make or break your diet, but it baffles me to see that you are pressing so hard to justify your use of it.

Sure "pal" i stated numerous times that trans fat was not an issue. The amount in normal peanut butter IS negligible. I stated this several posts up. I am referring to the fact that some peanut butters have up to 6 grams of sugar per TBSP. That's 12 grams of sugar. Not only is this sugar, but some brands contain High Fructose Corn Syrup, the worst type of sugar. Take a look at a label and read off to me the numerous amounts of crap that is piled in to normal peanut butter. Natural peanut butter has the following ingredients: Peanuts, Salt. So it's up to you- as I stated ALREADY in a previous post, it's fine to eat in a cheat day. But it's downright destructive for you to eat something when there is a suitable, more constructive alternative. Again, your choice, it won't make or break your diet, but it baffles me to see that you are pressing so hard to justify your use of it.
    Well i dont know if you had a typo above, but according to your post you said that regular peanut butter has 20% more transfat. Also I indeed took a look at the label on some regular peanut butter and it's Peanuts, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Oil, and Salt. 3g of sugar per two tablespoons. As I also said above I mostly stick to nuts anyway as i like the more solid version of a nut. I actually only started this post to see what others thought about the negligable amounts of trans-fat and the 2g more of sugar. If i was to eat regular peanut butter it would only be around 1 tablespoon every few days just to change up a little bit from natural peanut butter, which i consume on a more regular basis anyway. I'll admit that I took some offense to you saying i had poor diet choices and this is why i kept pressing for more facts...just to keep a debate going. To me it doesnt really matter because in a few months im goin on a custom diet.

Swole- I think you're confusing insulin sensitivity with insulin resisitance, or carbohydrate sensitivity...for someone who is insulin resistant, you could argue that 3g of sugar would make a difference...although I still do not believe it would unless an entire jar of peanut butter was being consumed at once. For the people reading these discussions, people who are conscious of avoiding high-GI carbs and who exercise regularly, insulin resistance is usually not an issue. And in either case, 3g of sugar is still miniscule, no matter how much fat is in the rest of the meal. The whole theory behind separating carbs and fats is that the body will use the carbs for energy, and store the fat...I believe this theory is also debatable just because I have yet to find any research supporting it, and I see very fit people combining carbs and fats all the time, but for now I subscribe to it anyway...but can you honestly believe that after eating 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, my body is gonna use the 3g of sugars (12 calories) for its energy and then store the 16g of fat? The 12 calories from the sugar would be burned off in a couple minutes of breathing....and this scenario would only even happen IF there was a substantial insulin surge, which seems very unlikely to me considering the fat would slow down the digestion and absorption of those 3g of sugar, and IF the calories present in the 2 tbs of peanut butter were more than my body needed.

well........

CAPS BELOW........

Quote Originally Posted by Kim2884
    Swole- I think you're confusing insulin sensitivity with insulin resisitance, or carbohydrate sensitivity

ACTUALLY, NO I'M NOT.

..for someone who is insulin resistant, you could argue that 3g of sugar would make a difference...although I still do not believe it would unless an entire jar of peanut butter was being consumed at once. 3 GRAMS IS NOT THE USUAL FOR PB'S I SEE......I SEE THEM WITH 5-6 GRAMS OF SUGAR IN EACH TABLESPOON.

For the people reading these discussions, people who are conscious of avoiding high-GI carbs and who exercise regularly, insulin resistance is usually not an issue. IT VERY WELL COULD BE.

And in either case, 3g of sugar is still miniscule (MAGICAL #3 AGAIN)

, no matter how much fat is in the rest of the meal. IF YOU HAVE 40 GRAMS OF FAT IN A MEAL, BELIEVE IT MAKES A DIFF. TOO MUCH OF ANY MACRO ISN'T GOOD.

The whole theory behind separating carbs and fats is that the body will use the carbs for energy, and store the fat. WRONG, THAT'S YOUR VIEW ON WHAT THE THEORY IS. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND CARBS RAISE INSULIN LEVELS, AND IF THERE ARE FATS CIRCULATING AT THIS TIME, THEY ARE STORED IMMEDIATELY. IT'S NOT THAT THE BODY USES THE CARBS, THEN DECIDES IT DOESN'T NEED ENERGY FROM THE FAT INGESTED AND HAS TO STORE THE FAT. HELL, IF ONE ISN'T IN KETOSIS, THE BODY CAN'T USE THE FAT FOR ENERGY ANYHOW. MY POINT IS THAT WITH A RISE IN INSULIN FROM CARBS/SUGARS, FAT IN A MEAL IS A NO NO. I SPEAK FROM MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING 1000'S OF OTHERS.

..I believe this theory is also debatable just because I have yet to find any research supporting it, and I see very fit people combining carbs and fats all the time. VERY FIT IN WHAT SENSE, SKINNY? ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT LOOK YOU ARE AFTER. I, AND THOSE BODYBUILDERS I TRAIN WITH, COULD NEVER EAT AS SUCH, WE'D LOOK LIKE $HIT. I ALSO DON'T WISH TO BE "THIN" FOR THE SAKE OF EATING BELOW MAINTENANCE (AND STILL COMBINING FAT/CARBS), THUS LOSING EQUAL AMOUNTS OF FAT AND MUSCLE WHILE DOING SO. MY AIM IS NOT TO BECOME A SMALLER, JUST AS FAT, PERSON. THAT IS WHAT OCCURS WHEN YOU COMBINE FATS/CARBS AND REDUCE CALORIES SO YOU ARE LOSING "WEIGHT". LOSING FAT AND LOSING WEIGHT ARE TWO SEPERATE ISSUES. I SEE MANY PEOPLE SMOKING CIGARETTES THAT STILL PLAY BASKETBALL, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S BENEFICIAL OR ISN'T DETRIMENTAL IN SOME FASHION. BLANKET STATEMENTS HAVE NO VALIDITY.

but for now I subscribe to it anyway...but can you honestly believe that after eating 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, my body is gonna use the 3g of sugars (12 calories) for its energy and then store the 16g of fat? THAT'S YOUR THEORY OR YOUR TAKE ON A THEORY, NOT MINE. AGAIN, 3G IS NOT SOMETHING I'VE SEEN IN COMMERCIAL P.B.'S.

The 12 calories from the sugar would be burned off in a couple minutes of breathing

YOU KNOW THIS HOW?

...and this scenario would only even happen IF there was a substantial insulin surge, which seems very unlikely to me considering the fat would slow down the digestion and absorption of those 3g of sugar, and IF the calories present in the 2 tbs of peanut butter were more than my body needed. IT'S POSSIBLE TO EAT LOWER CALORICALLY DAILY THAN YOUR BODY "NEEDS", AND STILL LOSE NO FAT, AND EVEN STORE MORE. EXAMPLE..........EAT PIZZA ALL DAY, EVERYDAY. DO THIS FOR 3 WEEKS, AND STAY 300-500 BELOW YOUR OWN MAINTENANCE EVERYDAY, AND TELL ME YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE PURE CRAP IN 3 WEEKS. EATING BELOW MAINTENANCE DOES NOT MEAN YOU WON'T STORE FAT. THE INSULIN SURGES WILL ALSO BE CASE SPECIFIC, AND IT WON'T BE A MEASLY 3 GRAMS OF SUGAR THAT WILL DO IT, YOU MUST HAVE A BRAND THAT'S **** CLOSE TO NATURAL PB, IN WHICH CASE U HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. MOST WILL UTILIZE 2 TBSP'S OR SO, WITH EACH HAVING 5-6 GRAMS OF SUGAR, THUS TOTALLING 10-12 GRAMS OF SUGAR. THAT DOES HAVE AN IMPACT.

Anyhow, this has been beaten like a dead horse, all done here! Cheers!

~SC~

I'm not gonna address everything you just said, and i'm quite tired of arguing about it myself, but I just have to make a few final points
    - I dunno where you buy your peanut butter, but most if not all of the regular peanut butter i've ever seen has had an average of 3g of sugar (and this is in 2 tbs, not 1)
    - I know all about "fat skinny people" and it is not my goal to be "thin" ...the people i've heard of combining fats and carbs are bodybuilders...I read an article about the diet of the woman who just won a tri-fitness competition and ate whole eggs with potatoes on a regular basis. I wasn't trying to argue about the efficacy of separating carbs and fats anyway...i separate them myself, i was just saying that I think it could be wrong.
    I'm done now
    Last edited by Kim2884; 12-01-2003 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    Well i dont know if you had a typo above, but according to your post you said that regular peanut butter has 20% more transfat. Also I indeed took a look at the label on some regular peanut butter and it's Peanuts, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Oil, and Salt. 3g of sugar per two tablespoons. As I also said above I mostly stick to nuts anyway as i like the more solid version of a nut. I actually only started this post to see what others thought about the negligable amounts of trans-fat and the 2g more of sugar. If i was to eat regular peanut butter it would only be around 1 tablespoon every few days just to change up a little bit from natural peanut butter, which i consume on a more regular basis anyway. I'll admit that I took some offense to you saying i had poor diet choices and this is why i kept pressing for more facts...just to keep a debate going. To me it doesnt really matter because in a few months im goin on a custom diet.
    No problem, at one tablespoon every few days you won't notice a difference in the least. I assumed that by your frequency of use, it would be 2 tbsps a day, but at a rate such as you are planning, it really is no big deal.

Thread Information