xenithon is offline Member

Adding carbs: when is best?

Hi All,

I am currently on a low-medium carb diet, focusing carb intake at breakfast, post workout and post-post workout. I am going to slowly up my calories via carbs and was just wondering, if I had to add to just one meal, which meal should it be? At breakfast I have low GI carbs like oats (around 40g carbs), PWO is high GI (dextrose to be exact, 40g) and PPWO is low GI again (eg. yams, rice, buckwheat etc., 40g again) I know it does not make a huge difference and that it's a rather low priority question - but just wanted to get some opinions. (its just a toss up between high GI sugary carbs via dextrose PWO vs. low GI carbs either PPWO or breakfast)

Thanks!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Not sure what you are asking...............You have carbs in 3 locations I see, so where are you going to add more.........an additional carb meal, or more carbs to one of those existing 3??

~SC~

rambo is offline The Lord God
    If I understand correctly you can almost double the carbs in your PWO shake.

Hi There,

SC - I am going to add to one of the three meals. Focusing carbs in these meals has worked very well for me and I want to add to one of the meals, thus maintaining the carb timing. Which would be best to add to: breakfast (low GI), PWO (more dextrose) or PPWO?

Thanks!

Dextrose pwo IMHO.

Hint: take the full amount you were to add to this ONE meal, and split that amount up amongst BOTH of your PWO meals. This will further assure you that you don't take in too many carbs at once to spill-over, but you still ingest a good deal more during that "window" you have to get those nutrients in.
    This means you'll be having more dextrose pwo, then more of the solid starch in the 2nd post-workout meal.

Damn, there's another secret gone!

Remember that R-ALA and Biotin here as well, with both meals!

~SC~

BDTR is offline Retired
    Swole what are the benifits of biotin mixed with ALA? I know you're supposed to take it was ala, but not entirely sure why. Depletes natural levels?

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Dextrose pwo IMHO.

Hint: take the full amount you were to add to this ONE meal, and split that amount up amongst BOTH of your PWO meals. This will further assure you that you don't take in too many carbs at once to spill-over, but you still ingest a good deal more during that "window" you have to get those nutrients in.
    This means you'll be having more dextrose pwo, then more of the solid starch in the 2nd post-workout meal.

Damn, there's another secret gone!

Remember that R-ALA and Biotin here as well, with both meals!

~SC~
    Swole.... don't think I'm not writing all of this down....*evil laugh* I will soon Know all your diet secrets. LMAO!!!!

Hey bro, if it helps you or someone else, it's all good as that's the point of what we all do and why we live the fitness game.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    Swole what are the benifits of biotin mixed with ALA? I know you're supposed to take it was ala, but not entirely sure why. Depletes natural levels?
    Yes, exactly. Pulls it from your body and your joints/tendons/ligaments, so it's crucial to supplement w/Biotin if you plan on making R-ALA a part of your arsenal.

~SC~

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    LOL... I hear ya Swole. I've learned a great deal from ya over the past year or two. Keep the info coming, I can always stand to learn a thing or two more about diet.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    If you were to follow Swole around the boards like a shadow, you could probably come up with a very close replica of one of his diets on your own without paying the small donation ("beat the system").

But for me the fact he really enjoys helping others on the net (free of charge) shows the type of person Swole is and is that he's not just in it to make a quick buck. He trully loves what he's doing. That's exactly what I would look for if I was interested in an online trainer (and it doesn't hurt that he knows a little too lol).

Hi Guys,

After a few weeks of adding carbs to both PWO meals, I am seeing an increase in BF levels. I think its mainly due to both my sensitivity to carbs and the increase in simple carbs.

Is it okay if I drop my dextrose to the amount I was having before, and add carbs just to my PPWO meal as well as breakfast. Both of theses are low GI carbs so perhaps will not affect BF levels. Or will it be better to keep breakfast carbs and PWO dextrose as I had before and simply add the whole lot to PPWO, to get the carbs in during the 'window'??

Thanks!

EDIT: BTW - it may be an important factor to keep in mind that breakfast is my preworkout meal - and I have read that many people suggest to focus carbs during carb restrictions to the preworkout, PWO and PPWO meals.
    Last edited by xenithon; 12-06-2003 at 01:45 AM.

bump - anyone?

EDIT - a bit more background:

I have tried many diets. I used to be very overweight, lost it all, and am slowly building back up (very sowly - too scared to try bulk up quickly ). I have found that my body tends to store excess carbs as fat, and thus a lower carb, higher fat diet has worked for me. Its now roughly 50/30/20 (P/C/F). I get in around 150g total carbs for the day.

What I am trying to ascertain is: if I want to have less high GI carbs, is it okay to have fewer in the PWO shake and then more low GI an hour later, as mentioned in my previous post. Or will this lobsidedness mess things up in any way?

Thanks!
    Last edited by xenithon; 12-08-2003 at 12:09 PM.

Thread Information