IronAdam is offline Member

Ketones when dieting, but not on a low carb diet?

I've been on my diet to cut fat for about a week and I already feel more lean, but today I tested for ketones for the hell of it and none were present. Can I still be burning fat without showing ketones?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yes, through cardio and through a reduction of calories. (watch for muscle loss too, there are ways to counter-act this). Unless you are burning ketones for fuel on a ketogenic diet, the only other time you burn pure fat is when you do cardio for about 45 mins at 65-75% of max heart rate.

~SC~

IronAdam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Yes, through cardio and through a reduction of calories. (watch for muscle loss too, there are ways to counter-act this). Unless you are burning ketones for fuel on a ketogenic diet, the only other time you burn pure fat is when you do cardio for about 45 mins at 65-75% of max heart rate.

~SC~
    Thanks, thats what I wanna hear. I've been doing 40 on an eliptical in the morning on an empty stomach. Should I bump it up to 45 to be on the safe side?

45 is great.

Figure you tap into fat stores around the 20 min mark while on E, so when people do cardio for 30 mins, they are only burning fat for 10 mins. If you do it for 45, you are burning fat for 25 mins. Big difference when you begin to add up everyday...........so yeah, increase from 40 to 45......

~SC~

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAdam
    I've been on my diet to cut fat for about a week and I already feel more lean, but today I tested for ketones for the hell of it and none were present. Can I still be burning fat without showing ketones?
    Of course. People lost weight long before low carb dieting. If you burn more calories then you take in you will lose weight.

Right.......u can lose "weight" many ways, but there are specific ways in which one loses fat. "Weight" is usually indicative of fat AND muscle when calories are reduced equally amongst all macros, but that's not the goal for myself or those like me.

~SC~

Thread Information