rambo is offline The Lord God

Calling nerds...

Let's preface this with me acknowledging my current delirious exhaustion, so for the sake of brevity I'll get right to it...

I'm looking for scientific studies that will support the intake of a postworkout shake before or after cardio that directly follows a weight training session.

That's all I'll write now, I have to get back to Tyrosine-Kinase receptors.

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    Let's preface this with me acknowledging my current delirious exhaustion, so for the sake of brevity I'll get right to it...

I'm looking for scientific studies that will support the intake of a postworkout shake before or after cardio that directly follows a weight training session.

That's all I'll write now, I have to get back to Tyrosine-Kinase receptors.
    I had pretty much the same questions from my malto/dex thread
    here is what was posted Skeletal muscle fat and carbohydrate metabolism during recovery from glycogen-depleting exercise in humans.

Kimber NE, Heigenhauser GJ, Spriet LL, Dyck DJ.

Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1.

The primary aim of the present study was to determine whether intramuscular triacylglycerol (IMTG) utilization contributed significantly to the increase in lipid oxidation during recovery from exercise, as determined from the muscle biopsy technique. In addition, we also examined the regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDHa) and changes in muscle acetyl units during an 18 h recovery period after glycogen-depleting exercise. Eight endurance-trained males completed an exhaustive bout of exercise (~90 min) on a cycle ergometer followed by ingestion of carbohydrate (CHO)-rich meals (64-70 % of energy from carbohydrate) at 1, 4 and 7 h of recovery. Duplicate muscle biopsies were obtained at exhaustion, and 3, 6 and 18 h of recovery. Despite the large intake of CHO during recovery (491 +/- 28 g or 6.8 +/- 0.3 g kg-1), respiratory exchange ratio values of 0.77 to 0.84 indicated a greater reliance on lipid as an oxidative fuel. However, there was no net IMTG utilization during recovery. IMTG content at exhaustion was 23.5 +/- 3.5 mmol (kg dry wt)-1, and remained constant at 24.6 +/- 2.6, 25.7 +/- 2.8 and 28.4 +/- 3.0 mmol (kg dry wt)-1 after 3, 6 and 18 h of recovery. Muscle glycogen increased significantly from 37 +/- 11 mmol (kg dry wt)-1 at exhaustion, to 165 +/- 13, 250 +/- 18, and 424 +/- 22 mmol (kg dry wt)-1 at 3, 6 and 18 h of recovery, respectively. PDHa was reduced at 6 and 18 h when compared to exhaustion, but did not change during the recovery period. Acetyl-CoA, acetylcarnitine and pyruvate contents declined significantly after 3 h of recovery compared to exhaustion, and thereafter remained unchanged. We conclude that IMTG has a negligible role in contributing to the enhanced fat oxidation during recovery from exhaustive exercise. Despite the elevation of glucose and insulin following high-CHO meals during recovery, CHO oxidation and PDH activation were decreased, supporting the hypothesis that glycogen resynthesis is of high metabolic priority. Plasma fatty acids, very low density lipoprotein triacylglycerols, as well as intramuscular acetylcarnitine stores are likely to be important fuel sources for aerobic energy, particularly during the first few hours of recovery.

PMID: 12651914 [PubMed - in process]

ENraged is offline Senior Member
    here is also a great link for further info
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...pportunity.htm

Right, but the medline article doesn't state the actual weight of before/after, it only gives us what we already know, which is that muscle glycogen recomposition is of high priority.

decadbal is offline Banned
    so you want something thats high on the G-index. some quick protein uptake and a small carb meal with high glycemic index quality.

No, I don't think anyone even read my original post. I want to know the ideal intake times for intake post and pre cardio after a weight training session. I know very well what kind of shake to take in. I'm not incompetent.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    I'm not incompetent.
    Are you 100% positive about this? hahahahaha

Sorry bro but I can't answer your question...............I'm not known for my brain power. hahahaha

Thread Information