seesamplay is offline Junior Member

Don't combine carbs and fats?

I just read a post from one of you guys that said not to combine carbs and fats in the same meal. I honestly learn something new here everyday. I have made daily changes to my diet, but it still has some holes in it. I am getting fats from flaxseed oil among other things. The problem as I see it now is combining flaxseed oil with bananas in my shakes.

I want to have enough calories/fats/carbs to effectively build muscle, but I don't want anything unneccessary that is going to add fat. I am 5'11" 188lbs.

My diet is attached, and any advice would be appreciated.

Sam
    Attached Files Attached Files

rambo is offline The Lord God
    I'll try and get to this later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    I'll try and get to this later tonight.
    Thanks in advance. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Sam

bobbo23 is offline Associate Member
    I follow that rule for cutting, but with bulking you would have to consume a massive amount of carbs or fat if you were separating them to get a high calorie count.Usually the protein limit is 1-1/2 or 2 times bodyweight. So the extra caloires have to come from some where. Ex would be a cup of oatmeal, some form of protein and some maybe 3/4 tbsp of flax or some pb.

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to hear Swole's input on this question. Something I was wondering myself for once I started bulking again.

Again, my biggest challenge is taking in whatever necessary to bulk up without overdoing it and getting fat in the process. I was still eating to stay lean while trying to bulk and it wasn't working.

I added:

bananas - high in carbs
    flaxseed oil - fat
    walnuts - fat fat fat
    8% ground turkey instead of extra lean - more fat
    cheese - fat

I put some weight around the belly almost instantly. If that extra weight is 100% necessary to facilitate bulking, I will have to accept it. But, if it's b/c I'm mixing carbs with fats three times a day, then I can change that.

Sam

alert is offline Junior Member
    eating fats with carbs will boast your insulin levels higher then eating carbs alone .. something like 50% i believe .. so if your bulking .. this would most likely promote the storage of food as fat .. if your consuming alot of calories in an attempt to bulk .. so u might be adding to much fat as opposed to lean mass .. and in afew months you might be alot fatter then bigger .

OK, ditch the Bananas, the milk, and the cheese. All those things are unnecessary. You need to lower that sugar down to around 80 max, most of which should be in the PWO shake. If you insist on using that Phosphagen crap, then don't have sugars outside of that shake. You need to cut those carbs down to around 250 at least if you are more concerned with not picking up extra weight. The most important thing is to dump the fruit that is high in fructose and simple sugars, and replace them with 1/2 cup of low GI oats (29grams carbs).

Edited to elaborate:

Sugar Sugar Sugar. That's what's killing you. It's our best friend and worst enemy. Remember, the only time you want to spike your insulin is after a workout, and MAYBE slightly in the morning (depending). You've got sugars thrown in all over the place. Dump them and replace them with brown rice or oats.
    Last edited by rambo; 12-12-2003 at 07:52 AM.

Obviously, you are not a big fan of the Phosphagen. I have half a container left. I've already purchased maltodextrin (100%) and dextrose (100%) from supplement direct.com. They're sitting in my kitchen until I figure out exactly how to utilize them best.

I'm assuming that you would be in favor of me making my own PWO shakes with these two items as key ingredients. What else do I need? in what amount? and how do I make it taste all right?

I'll ditch the bananas in favor of oats. Do you eat oats throughout the day (in a shake for example), or is this a once-a-day at breakfast item for you?

Thanks again,

Sam

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by alert
    eating fats with carbs will boast your insulin levels higher then eating carbs alone .. something like 50% i believe .
    Actually, no, fats in a meal tend to supress an insulin surge, but to what degree no-one knows as it's known that with an insulin spike of any sort, fats eaten in the same meal will be stored as bodyfat. Not a good idea to combine the two in my opinion, bulking or not. Bulking for me doesn't mean throwing caution to the wind, and saying Phuck It..................

~SC~

I've always thought it to be more important to separate carbs and fats in bulking then when you are in caloric deficit....

As for you sesameplay... the PWO shake should be 50 g protein, 40g dextrose, 40g malto, and yes, split the oats up throughout the day.

All right. I've taken the bananas out. My heavy days are starting to resemble my lighter days. These attachments are much more readable I think.

I will phase out the EAS Phosphagen XT and start making my own PWO shakes.
    I will add in oats in yet to be determined places.

Now that I have stripped down some carbs, are there still enough for me to put on muscle?

Do I consume enough calories to bulk up?

If not, where can I get more calories without subjecting myself to potential fat gains?

Sam
    Attached Files Attached Files

It looks good.

Pinch is offline Associate Member
    fats will slow the digestion of the carb, but you will still raise your blood sugar levels and end up storing the fat...

thats why fat+protein meals are the best because they slow the digestion of the protein

cheers

Thread Information