fugi1 is offline Junior Member

Carbs frustration

I'm on a low carb diet and so far it's been a nightmare. I keep being hungry even an hour after eating. My friend told me to continue to eat protein whenever your'e hugry. But surely your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein per sitting? What happens to the rest? Can it get stored as fat?

J-F
    J-F is offline Associate Member
    well, you can't get more than 30-40g protein per 2-3 hours...

if your body dosent use a certain amout it will be converted into fat, but it is harder for your body to convert protein into fat than converting carb into fat...

stick on it... really soon youll get use to it and wont be always hungry anyway...

drink alot of water when you feel hungry, it help...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Not only that, excess protein will lead to gluconeogenesis, and muscle loss.
    (I do believe you can take in more than 30-40 dependent upon WHO it is and what they also make be taking). Myself, I diet on 50 grams or pro every 2.5 hours, sometimes 2 hours, and I drop weight like mad, not muscle, but fat.
    Anyhow, it'll differ greatly amongst physiques and weight classes.

You need to up your fats tremendously I'm guessing (good guess, I've seen cases such as yours numerous times), that should provide more satiety along w/drinking more water.

~SC~

SwoleCat, for a guy who weighs 190lbs, what is the recommended amount of fats saturated/non sat should i be consuming? And can you tell me if this is correct, some guy at the gym said when he was competing he stopped consuming carbs after 3pm, and that your metabalism slows down in the evening so any carbs can be stored as fat, is this true?

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Not Swoll but I stop carbs after my midafternoon meal. Unless I have an evening workout then I'll have them with my post workout shake. The carbs are from dextrose or honey.

You are eating every 2-3 hours right? And drinking a minimum of 1 gallon of water per day. Could you give us an idea what your meals look like for an average day?

This is probably what i'll consume on an average day:

10.00am Can of tuna (35g of Pro), 2 slices of toast
    1.00pm (after w/o) Pro shake (25g pro), cereal
    3.00pm Tuna again, 100g of peanuts
    5.30pm pasta 200g, tuna again!
    8.00pm Anything thats high in pro and very little carbs
    Before sleep pro shake
    My water intake is about 2 litres

I'm always nibbling on something between meals cos this low carb thing is killing me!

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I'll take a stab at this but I want to tell you right now not everyone on this board will agree with what I'll suggest so you'll have to take what you learn and see how it will work for you......we are none the same.

First, drop the bread, you're on a low carb diet and it packed with it....not to mention Swoll as well as everyone else will tell you it's no good. If you're bulking whole wheat bread is alright but again I would not eat more than a couple of slices per day but on a low carb diet cross it off the list.

Drop the cereal, again high in carbs and loaded with sugers. Most bro's will eat high protein (first meal) and a cup or half a cup of oatmeal. Oatmeal is far better than anything else. Depending on how drastic you want to cut carbs you could skip the oatmeal but, again, others will advise not to. Also depends on your workout schedule.

Drop the pasta....carb city nothing more to say. Oh, if you do eat pasta after your diet switch to wheat pasta....yes it taste different.

Pre workout have a protein drink but no carbs....mix it with water and down it about a half hour before you workout. After workout have your post workout shake again with water but add dextrose or honey (here is were you need a fast acting carb). Forget about milk.

As for peanuts one oz has 6 carbs (if my memory serves me correct, bro's correct me if I'm wrong) A better choice would be almonds, imho.

Stop eatting three hours before bed. Do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If you workout in the morning then have your PWO shake right after and then an hour later eat egg whites and oatmeal....jut an idea and a starting point for you to get a game plan together.

Again, if Swoll advises different then go with advise......he knows his stuff far better than I.
    Last edited by Juggernaut2148; 12-16-2003 at 08:35 AM.

that's interesting that, i'm thinking about the wheat pasta, what's the difference?

Not much diff in the two, but more importantly you'd only consume pasta on OCCASSION, and it would be only when the body would utilize the nutrition for recovery and muscular growth preparation, NOT fat storage. So, quite simply, white or brown rice makes no diff, wheat/white pasta, yams or regular potatoes, etc.

The rule about cutting of carbs at a certain time is horrid and seriously flawed, for if you are performing activity that demands you take in such nutrition to help your physique, who on earth would you take that out??

~SC~

SC can you just explain this to me if it makes any sence. I know for sure that i only put on excess fat when i'm on gear doing a bulking cycle. When i'm off it i won't gain a single pound, is not that i'm dieting or anything, i'm just not consuming as much calaries/fat when i'm natural. But now i want to get rid of this fat so can i get away with just cardio work and not bothering with the diet and still lose weight?

Nope. If you do that, you'll lose muscle and fat.

Doing cardio and eating basically "whatever" is not going to support fat loss efforts. An ideal plan of attack for fat annhialation is a sound cardio schedule, and a very solid diet schedule. The two produce harmonic results, one w/out the other is a struggle, and makes no sense.

~SC~

~SC~

SC you mentioned about having to up my fats tremendously, is that what you need to do on a low carb diet? bit like the Atkins diet, burning fat for energy? Even saturated fat?

Indeed.

I eat steak like there is no tomorrow, but also utilize flax/hemp/olive oils, and my cholesterol has never been better. As soon as I cut back on all the diabetic carb and fat meals, I completely changed.

~SC~

It just seems scary having to consume more fat, when i look at the nutritional values on a product, the first thing i look at is the calaries/fat and i just think if it's got fat your'e gonna get fat. They say the recommended daily intake of fat for men is 90g, 30g of saturated, i suppose that doesn't apply to us

Nope, that would apply to normal sedentary men, who for the most part, are the ones over-feeding on carbs, have high blood pressure, a beer belly, are diabetic, and the doctors keep telling them to cut down on red meat and fats as they think those are the culprits for the above conditions......

LMFAO.............

~SC~

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    hey just my $.02.. you might try an appitite suppressent.. i know some people that would do keto and take a ECA stack or something like xenadrine EFX and it would do fine.. im also doing something of a low carb diet and when ever i feel hungry i drink water or brush my teeth.. dont ask why but after brushing my teeth i dont feel hungry anymore.. yeah im a wierdo but good luck on your struggle bro

yeah thanks, i think i have all the info i need at the mo, thanks you guys especially SC!

Thread Information