rasiaca is offline New Member

Is this straight?

Ok, I have spent a lot of time reading on this site now...just wondering if this is right...
    Healthy fats are the EFA's right? ...and they actually encourage your body to burn fat? That is cool.
    What is the deal with tuna, why not salmon, or other fishies? I heard on the radio the other day that one should not eat more than around 3 cans of tuna a week due to the high mercury content....is it for the EFA's (essential fatty acids)?
    Why also the aversion to fruits? Sugar is high maybe, but because it is in a piece of fruit (fibre), it doesn't give you a quick rush and crash, and not only that, extra ascorbic acid is needed to digest protein, it is very beneficial to eat fruit and protein together. Fruit is clearly meant to be eaten, it tastes good, its colourful, that is clearly what it's for... Plus its really high in antioxidants too! Don't get me wrong, not saying hoards of fruit, but a lot of these diets have like... none.
    Now I understand that you want to minimize carbs, particularily complex carbs like rice, pasta, and potatoes....and breads and sweets. But if you are not eating fat and carbs in the same meal, and veggies are carbs too, then you can't eat even lettuce with some fat/flaxseed oil dressing? ...or is that okay.
    I am not looking to become a body builder, I just wanna be a hot soccer mom, lol. I used to be actually , but five kids later, bedrest for the last two pregnancies....I have 20 pounds to lose, and some toning to do.
    I have lived a very healthy life for the most part, and am quite accustomed to having no butter, salt, mayo, soya sauce, etc...and also eating fish, rice and green veggies for supper for an eternity. So going back to those restrictions will not be new territory.
    I am trying to figure out from these threads about supplements, glycogen, biotin, creatine etc. but that is all new to me. Are these things found in foods? I am starting to grasp what they are for and how they are beneficial, but am unclear on how exactly how to use them and what I need for my goals.
    So I am for sure going to do the morning cardio thing (45 min), and the weight training in the pm. I can eat small meals 4-6 times a day, I plan on listening to my body, eat when I get substantially hungry, and only eat enough to feel content...never full. Lots of fruit and veggies (no starchy ones) and eggs and nuts/seeds (almonds), beans/legumes, soup. I figure if I eat enough of those only when hungry, then I won't overeat on carbs. ...and untill I am done 'cutting' I will have no dairy, perhaps permanently.(...but maybe a little cheese here and there). Oh ya, only water, and plain green tea to drink ...as now.
    I couldn't give a specific diet really, because variety is really good for you, I think. Especially since I don't do vitamin tabs... Protein with every meal, carbs after cardio only? Or weight training too? ...and carbs only really then?
    Have I got this basically right?
    Will I become a hot soccer mom, and live past a hundred?
    Thanks, Anna

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    CAPS BELOW.......

Quote Originally Posted by rasiaca
    Ok, I have spent a lot of time reading on this site now...just wondering if this is right...
    Healthy fats are the EFA's right? USUALLY, YES.

...and they actually encourage your body to burn fat? IF YOUR DIET IS CONSTRUCTED IN THAT FASHION. YOU CANNOT MERELY TAKE THESE AND THINK YOU ARE GOING TO BURN FAT.

What is the deal with tuna, why not salmon, or other fishies? YOU CAN HAVE THOSE, NOT SURE WHY YOU THINK YOU CAN'T.

I heard on the radio the other day that one should not eat more than around 3 cans of tuna a week due to the high mercury content....is it for the EFA's (essential fatty acids)? YOU CAN BELIEVE THAT, OR SIMPLY CHOOSE OTHER FOODS.

Why also the aversion to fruits? THERE IS NO AVERSION IF EATEN AT THE CORRECT TIME(S).

Sugar is high maybe, but because it is in a piece of fruit (fibre), it doesn't give you a quick rush and crash, and not only that, extra ascorbic acid is needed to digest protein, it is very beneficial to eat fruit and protein together. Fruit is clearly meant to be eaten, it tastes good, its colourful, that is clearly what it's for... Plus its really high in antioxidants too! Don't get me wrong, not saying hoards of fruit, but a lot of these diets have like... none. THERE IS A REASON FOR IT.......

Now I understand that you want to minimize carbs, particularily complex carbs like rice, pasta, and potatoes....and breads and sweets. But if you are not eating fat and carbs in the same meal, and veggies are carbs too, then you can't eat even lettuce with some fat/flaxseed oil dressing? ...or is that okay. THAT IS FINE AS IT'S A VEGETABLE, NOT A STARCH.

I am not looking to become a body builder, I just wanna be a hot soccer mom, lol. I used to be actually , but five kids later, bedrest for the last two pregnancies....I have 20 pounds to lose, and some toning to do. THOSE 20 LBS. CAN COME OFF QUICKLY.

I have lived a very healthy life for the most part, and am quite accustomed to having no butter, salt, mayo, soya sauce, etc. THOSE THINGS ARE ACTUALLY STAPLES ON MY FAT LOSS PROGRAM, LOL.......

..and also eating fish, rice and green veggies for supper for an eternity. So going back to those restrictions will not be new territory. RICE CAN BE TAKEN OUT!

I am trying to figure out from these threads about supplements, glycogen, biotin, creatine etc. but that is all new to me. Are these things found in foods? SOME ARE, YES, BUT SUPPLEMENTS ARE GOOD.

I am starting to grasp what they are for and how they are beneficial, but am unclear on how exactly how to use them and what I need for my goals.
    So I am for sure going to do the morning cardio thing (45 min), and the weight training in the pm. I can eat small meals 4-6 times a day, I plan on listening to my body, eat when I get substantially hungry, and only eat enough to feel content...never full. Lots of fruit and veggies (no starchy ones) and eggs and nuts/seeds (almonds), beans/legumes, soup. I figure if I eat enough of those only when hungry, then I won't overeat on carbs. ...and untill I am done 'cutting' I will have no dairy, perhaps permanently.(...but maybe a little cheese here and there). Oh ya, only water, and plain green tea to drink ...as now.
    I couldn't give a specific diet really, because variety is really good for you, I think. VARIETY IS FINE, BUT YOU MUST CHOOSE FROM ONLY CERTAIN FOODS AT CERTAIN TIMES.........YOU CAN HAVE VARIETY, BUT NEED TO CONTAIN THE VARIETY IN GROUPS.

Especially since I don't do vitamin tabs... Protein with every meal, carbs after cardio only? Or weight training too? AFTER WEIGHTS, NOT AFTER CARDIO, YOU HAVE IT BACKWARDS.

...and carbs only really then?
    Have I got this basically right?
    Will I become a hot soccer mom, and live past a hundred? LET'S SEE A PIC AND I CAN TELL YOU!

~SC~

Thanks, Anna

rasiaca is offline New Member
    [[below]]

What is the deal with tuna, why not salmon, or other fishies? YOU CAN HAVE THOSE, NOT SURE WHY YOU THINK YOU CAN'T.

[[Well, just because all the diets I see talk about eating tuna, tuna, tuna and more tuna...]]

Why also the aversion to fruits? THERE IS NO AVERSION IF EATEN AT THE CORRECT TIME(S).

[[Well then why is lacking in everyone's diet around here?]]

THERE IS A REASON FOR IT.......

[[the sugar?]]

THOSE 20 LBS. CAN COME OFF QUICKLY.

[[]]

I have lived a very healthy life for the most part, and am quite accustomed to having no butter, salt, mayo, soya sauce, etc. THOSE THINGS ARE ACTUALLY STAPLES ON MY FAT LOSS PROGRAM, LOL.......

[[Well, it came from a strict regime my father implemented due to heart disease, and due to his type A,....no salt, no MSG (referred to as 'slow poison') and so on.]]

..and also eating fish, rice and green veggies for supper for an eternity. So going back to those restrictions will not be new territory. RICE CAN BE TAKEN OUT!

[[I realize the rice can be taken out, and should be...it was the blandest part of the meal anyways due to having ....no soya sauce, no nothing...]]

VARIETY IS FINE, BUT YOU MUST CHOOSE FROM ONLY CERTAIN FOODS AT CERTAIN TIMES.........YOU CAN HAVE VARIETY, BUT NEED TO CONTAIN THE VARIETY IN GROUPS.
    .. AFTER WEIGHTS, NOT AFTER CARDIO, YOU HAVE IT BACKWARDS.

[[Okay, so no oatmeal for breakfast then, if I am doing weights at nite. No carbs if I am not doing weights at all.. I think I read in another post...interesting. I think I am understanding the groups now, no fat and carbs near each other, minimize carbs to only when needed. thanks....still need to learn why, but don't worry about teaching me that, I will figure it out]]

Will I become a hot soccer mom, and live past a hundred? LET'S SEE A PIC AND I CAN TELL YOU!

[[Well, I will get right on that...]]
    Thanks so much,
    Anna.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    No problems here helpin' out.

~SC~

Thread Information