Shredz is offline Respected Member

Help finding micro nutient values!!!????

I am trying to fix up my diet. I had a very knowledgeable bro take a look at it and he was telling me that the values I have are slightly off. Which leaves me not talking in enough protein or calories.

I have tryed using www.nutritiondata.com But they seem to be slightly off. I am looking for total cals, proteins, fats and carbs in all my selected foods. Does anyone have any accuate source of finding this info. It seems that a lot of people and websites seem to have quite different opinions of the values for specific foods.

For example Nutritiondata.com has 100gms of chicken breast(meat only/roasted) down as 197cals,30gms protein,0carbs and 8 grms of fat.

Where as I have been told by a few realiable sources that an ounce of chicken breast is = to about 7gms of protein. 28gms in an ounce now equals 3.6oz so at 7gms an oz and a chicken breast of 3.5oz(100gms) =25.2gms. Far different then 28gms as rated by nutritiondata.com?????????

I am also looking for other foods as well.

Hope you can help gotta get this baby on track!!

Thanks in advance
    Shredz

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    well all i can say is that unless your values are way outta sync with each other i wouldnt worry about it. writing down what you eat day to day is never going to be 100% accurate, more of a base to make sure you are in the ball park.

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    like bigsd67 said, i wouldn't worry about being 100% accurate.... its unattainable. even the labels on food products aren't totally accurate... companies are allowed a certain variance from what is listed (a percentage that i can't recall at this time). just use the numbers to figure out whether you're somewhere within your desired range.

i've used nutritiondata.com in the past. others that i've used are:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl
    http://www.nutri-facts.com/

and for restaurant nutritional info i've used:

http://www.dietfacts.com/default.asp

hope that helps

also, as a side note, nutrients such as protein, fats, and carbs are macronutrients and not micronutrients... it might've just been a slip of the tongue (or finger in this case) on your part, but i just figured i'd clear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by sinista63

also, as a side note, nutrients such as protein, fats, and carbs are macronutrients and not micronutrients... it might've just been a slip of the tongue (or finger in this case) on your part, but i just figured i'd clear it up.
    Thanks it was just a slip of the finger..I was typing this fast. Wanted to get it out before I went to bed.

The reason I posted this is because I wanted to get it as close as possible. That is all..just wanted to know what other sources of information your guys were using.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i found that the biggest help for me was to buy a 30 dollar digital food scale too...making sure the portions are near perfect. also i have used
    www.fitday.com
    it give the nutrients for food cooked certain ways as well as raw...and currently i use a take home software called the Total Diet Assessment that my girl got with one of her nutrition books. good stuff.

Thanks for all your replies!!

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    I think diet tracking software is the best thing you can get if you're being meticulous about what you're eating. There are many different kinds out there, and they all have their own databases for common foods, plus you can add in your own food items if they're not in the database. I dunno what I'd do with out mine. You could also get a book of calorie counts for reference.

Thread Information