newbie82 is offline Female Member

questions about isoflavones

i eat about 2 pounds of soybeans a day...i eat them CONSTANTLY. i thought they were good for me. i just read an article which states that soy causes high high levels of estrogen in your body, because your body converts the plant hormone isflavone (phyto-estrogen) into regular estrogen. my question is, forgive it if it's a dumb ques...wouldn't excess estrogen impede my muscle gain and really screw with my hormones? if i ingest so much soy, am i really doing my body harm and counter acting my efforts at body building?

so are there any of you guys who consume a lot of soy and still bodybuild...? anyone who has heard of any thing like this?

Teabagger is offline Senior Member
    soy based extracts are supposed to help women that are pre/current/post menopausal by increasing estrogen natty and I understand estrogen is not for muscle development...so...your logic sounds reasonable to me, but again I have no difinitive answer.

Why do you eat so much soy? Whey is a better protein for muscle development.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    DROP THE SOY.

I used it and gained 5 lbs of STUBBORN fat in 2 weeks. Shiit took forever to get off. You will stay leaner with whey, though egg will keep yyou leaner still cuz it doesnt spike your insulin like whey, but anything is better than soy. Though soy has a high BV, so does whey, and so does egg. they are all very similar in BV rating.
    2 POUNDS OF SOYBEANS A DAY :0
    thats alot of estrogen! Even though as a female you can handle it, i really dont think high estrogen levels are good for anybody. Even for hormeone replacement soy would not be good. Many docs who do HRT on women go more for PROGESTERONE than estrogen. I know i doctor who wrote a book on the subject and i picked her brain about it. Estrogen is way more carcinogenic than progesterone. Progesterone is actually anti- carcinogenic.
    But you dont even need to think about that, your young and don't need HRT. the point im making is that most of the experts "in the know" nowadays belive that i higher progesterone to estrogen ratio is better for female health. So floodiing your little bod with a bunch of soy estrogen wont be good.
    Now dont shiit your ppants that you gave yourself cervical or breast cancer cuz of your soy kick, even if it was a few years in lenght i doubt you gave yourself cancer. besides your young, you still have enough progesterone to counteract the cancer effects of estrogen.. Just drop the soy and let your hormones return to normal. see if you don't look leaner after a few months.

Will estrogen impede muscle growth? No. Actually it increases it, but at the expense of more fat gain. (Thats why all the strongest steroids for mass are estrogenic as well). Estrogen increase muscle water retention and upgrades GLUT-4 receptors. I dont have time to explain this but you can PM me if ou really want to get the scientific stuff.
    Anyway, if anything ,the soy just kept you from getting as defined as you could have, which as a woman your probably more concerned about that anyway than getting huge.

Good luck.

Peace

newbie82 is offline Female Member
    thank you so much for that answer, i really appreciate it. i was eating the soy because i was on a vegan kick. off the vegan kick now. and i swear since i quit eatign the soybeans i am starting to lean out.

thanks again

Thread Information