Flynman is offline Associate Member

HRT after cancer

Does anyone know if they will prescribe hrt to a person has had cancer in the past? I am 2 years cancer free but my test levels are almost non existant the Doc said. I was wondering what the thinking is on a situation like this. Has anyone been given hGH & Test after cancer treatment?

Thanks

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    You better ask a cancer doctor! Cancer feeds on red blood cells.

Mobligator is offline Associate Member
    I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2002 and had radioactive seeding plus 7 weeks of external radiation. My last PSA was 0.03 but has been as low as .008, which I believe is as low as it goes. I went to an endocrinologist with all of my medical records and he gave me the weakest form of Androgel , 2.5 mg. I only take it a few times a week to keep down the hot flashes but I go off of it a month or 6 weeks before I have another PSA just to make sure the testosterone doesn't raise it. My therory is, if the cancer hasn't spread outside of the prostate the testosterone won't hurt me but I've learned from experience that the testosterone will cause the PSA to go up slightly. So far the highest mine has only gone up was to 0.77 but then four months later after going off the AndroGel it went back down to 0.05. My normal testosterone level is only about 73 ng/dl so I'm virtually running on empty. However, if you do have any cancer cells that have metastasized, any type of androgen will cause it to grow faster, like pouring gasoline on burning embers. Cancer cells also have have androgen receptors. Most MD's will tell you to stay away from HRT once you've had cancer. If my PSA ever goes above 0.1 again I will stop taking Andro altogether and will just have to deal with the hot flashes and other adverse effects of having low testosterone .

Ufa
    Ufa is offline Anabolic Member
    Mobligator- sounds like you really know your stuff. This board needs people like you. Welcome; hope you stick around.

Flynman is offline Associate Member
    Mobligator, Do you think that prostate cancer would be more affected by testosterone because of the fact that the prostate tends to swell during use? All of my blood work is now normal except my test levels. By the way I had testicular cancer (lost the right side). I will go to a doctor to discuss all of this. Anyone now of a good HRT doc in New York?

Thanks

Thread Information