zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation

Anyone Heard Of Total Androgen Index Level?

I was groovin along with my script for 10mg androgel .....and the doc got results of my latest blood work (drawn and checked at his office). He makes a call to my phamacist b4 I can even use my new script! The doc. office calls me AFTER THE FACT....to tell me ...the nurse didn't know exactly why...but told me that my total test level was 700+....well, I said, I don't understand...the doc said that 700 would be an ok level, but nothing higher pretty much....I had to wait the weekend out to find out more....the nurse said the reason was a high total androgen index level of like 152. I am not familiar with this new verbage. If anyone has any knowledge of this index stuff or anything similar...please chime....thanks

balin is offline Junior Member
    Free Androgen Index (FAI)
    The FAI is the ratio of total testosterone (TT) to SHBG. It provides a simple assessment of physiologically active testosterone.
    FAI = 100 x TT (in nmol/L) / SHBG (in nmol/L)
    cFT
    Free testosterone concentrations may be estimated by using a mass action formulation that factors in the theoretical equilibrium of steroids and their binding proteins in serum. These complex calculations incorporate total testosterone, SHBG and optional serum albumin values. The complexity of the formulation, which takes several variables into account, is likely an improvement over the FAI.

Thread Information