Enfuego129 is offline Junior Member

Cardio before or after resistance training for weight loss?

Any advise on whether or not to do my cardio training before, after or both when combined with resistance training.

Typically, I have 2 and 1/2 hrs to work out at the gym while my kids are at pre-school. During that time I try to get about 30 - 45 minutes of cardio and 1 1/2 hour of resistance training per session. During cardio I maintain my HR between 65 and 75% or max and during resistance I do a total body workout using circuit training to keep my HR up also. Any advise on how I can better use the time in the gym for max weight loss.

FYI, I will post diet related stuff later.

tboney is offline Anabolic Member
    I do cardio after weight training. Increase your cardio to 45 mins to an hour. Weight training should not take more than an hour. Max weight loss is all about the diet! Go to the diet section and start reading. Good luck

Brian McClay is offline Junior Member
    If you can break up your cardio and weight training, cardio first thing in the AM before you eat and weight trainning sometime after that. If that is not possible do your cardio after weight training....

Enfuego129 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian McClay View Post
    If you can break up your cardio and weight training, cardio first thing in the AM before you eat and weight trainning sometime after that. If that is not possible do your cardio after weight training....
    Since it is rare that I can get a cardio workout at home I can only combine cardio and resistance during the same session.

Teach me master....what is the benefit of doing it after resistance?

subnet is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian McClay View Post
    this, although some people say to not do anything without eating as it's catabolic (wasting) to your muscles. I still say cardio before eating is good.

My vote is for cardio after. If you do cardio before weights, you'll use a lot of energy first and won't have as much for lifting your max weight (in both reps and poundage). If you hit the weights first, you'll have fresher muscles/more energy to lift more, then you can keep your heart-rate up with cardio after...

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    i really think its based on your goals and would be better answered in a different forum...

for example if you strictly wanted to lose fat and just maintain lbm rather than gain muscle then i would keep the whole workout focusing on keeping your heartrate up...similarly to what i'm doing now....i do a 5 to 10 minute cardio prior (warm up) then hit a total body workout for 30-40 minutes then end with 20-25 more cardio...

before when i was gaining muscle i would rest between sets so i could lift heavier weights and then do a light cardio session after lifting

Thread Information