casberger is offline Junior Member

my GP wants to give me synthroid?

Blood results came back today and I reviewed them with my normal GP. My T3 and T4 levels came back a little lower than normal. T4 Free 0.75 range is 0.77 - 1.61. T3 76 range 71 - 180. Doc wanted to prescribe me Synthroid , I told her I wanna do my own research on this and try to bring my levels up naturally. She is not my Endo, im going to review this with my Endo and decide with him if this would be the right thing to do. I feel like I am putting enough crap in my body as it is and I dont wanna add anything else. I do however have a really hard time losing fat and I may be able to benefit from this.

Do any of you guys have any experience with Synthroid? Should I ask for something else? Im going to be asking my Endo for some HGH too since it was very low. Maybe by adding HGH this would help out my T4 and T3?

Im feeling kind of lost here. Already taking Test C, Arimadex, and im only 25! I feel great since I have been on TRT but it seems like everytime I get my bloodwork done something is out of wack.

tubs is offline Associate Member
    give a little background. how long have you been on trt? stats.?

Quote Originally Posted by tubs View Post
    give a little background. how long have you been on trt? stats.?
    2 years on TRT. 100mg Test C EW. .5mg Arimadex Eod. Cyst found on pituitary gland causing hypogonadism.

25 years old
    212 lbs
    5'11"
    12% BF

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I was on synthroid for about 8 years----and switched to Armour thyroid this past year--I feel SO MUCH BETTER and did this before the gh---I did a lot of research about this---and the bottom line is: armour is desiccated porcine thyroid which contains t-3 and t-4 and a trace of 1 and 2---and when I was on synthroid I felt wired up---and---most important: some people do not easily convert t-4 ( synthoid) into t-3-----this is why my doc put me on Armour---so I would have both---and---it has already improved by doing so!

I could be wrong however, I get the feeling you may be a little confused by the name. Even though "Synthroid " sounds like a "synthetic steroid " or that it might be related to TRT, it's actually for a different condition all together. Synthroid [Which I too am taking, as well as TRT and Arimidex ] is for treating "Hypo-THYROID-ism".

While your thyroid and gonads are both part of your endocrine system, they perform two entirely different functions. Thyroid has nothing to do with your sexual, gender or reproductive systems. It's mainly your body's thermostat that controls your metabolism.

BTW- It's not likely to help you loose any significant amount of BF. On the other hand, Armour might; however I'll have to defer to SlimmerMe to answer that one.

That said, I agree with SlimmerMe, that Armour is a better way to go. I too, have been doing quite a bit of research on the matter, and I plan on asking my doc if I can switch to Armour. To better understand everything, I highly recommend you look up "Hypothyroidism" and it's symptoms. FYI a few symptoms do happen to be the same as Hypogonadism, such as energy, mood, anxiety etc. however they both address them in different ways.

I hope this helps clear things up a little bit.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 07-13-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    I could be wrong however, I get the feeling you may be a little confused by the name. Even though "Synthroid " sounds like a "synthetic steroid " or that it might be related to TRT, it's actually for a different condition all together. Synthroid [Which I too am taking, as well as TRT and Arimidex ] is for treating "Hypo-THYROID-ism".

While your thyroid and gonads are both part of your endocrine system, they perform two entirely different functions. Thyroid has nothing to do with your sexual, gender or reproductive systems. It's mainly your body's thermostat that controls your metabolism.

BTW- It's not likely to help you loose any significant amount of BF. On the other hand, Armour might; however I'll have to defer to SlimmerMe to answer that one.

That said, I agree with SlimmerMe, that Armour is a better way to go. I too, have been doing quite a bit of research on the matter, and I plan on asking my doc if I can switch to Armour. To better understand everything, I highly recommend you look up "Hypothyroidism" and it's symptoms. FYI a few symptoms do happen to be the same as Hypogonadism, such as energy, mood, anxiety etc. however they both address them in different ways.

I hope this helps clear things up a little bit.
    Thanks for the help on this matter. I definitely am experiencing the symptoms of Hypothyroidism and it sounds like Armour Thyroid would be the better way to go. Im just worried about having to take synthetic thyroid medication for the rest of my life. I already took the plunge of shutting my Test down with TRT which was worth it, but shutting my thyroid down kind of scares me. I'm gonna research more on these meds and discuss them with my endocrinologist. All my blood test results for the past 2 years showed low T3 and T4. I'm not really sure why my endo hasnt recommended thyroid medication yet...

Vitruvian-Man is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by casberger View Post
    Thanks for the help on this matter. I definitely am experiencing the symptoms of Hypothyroidism and it sounds like Armour Thyroid would be the better way to go. Im just worried about having to take synthetic thyroid medication for the rest of my life. I already took the plunge of shutting my Test down with TRT which was worth it, but shutting my thyroid down kind of scares me. I'm gonna research more on these meds and discuss them with my endocrinologist. All my blood test results for the past 2 years showed low T3 and T4. I'm not really sure why my endo hasnt recommended thyroid medication yet...
    Bro, tons of people have thyroid issues. I've been on thyroid replacement therapy since I was like 21 years old. It's not even an issue. A tiny little pill a day, lol. I can handle that for the rest of my life.

-VM

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruvian-Man View Post
    Bro, tons of people have thyroid issues. I've been on thyroid replacement therapy since I was like 21 years old. It's not even an issue. A tiny little pill a day, lol. I can handle that for the rest of my life.

-VM
    Nah that aint too bad I guess. Seems like im having to take a whole lot of meds but its probably worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by casberger View Post
    Nah that aint too bad I guess. Seems like im having to take a whole lot of meds but its probably worth it.
    In your defense, I can entirely understand at 21 it seems like a lot to do for the rest of your life. And that's certainly a LONG time... You're still immortal at this point. =)

However, consider the alternative for a moment. Have you ever heard the saying, "there but for the grace of God go I"? If you were to meet me in person, you'd be thinking just that. The truth is, my Low T began in my early twenties too. And I'm starting to realize I've had high E even longer. The sad truth is, I did not learn *any* of this until last year and now I'm 42. I'm not exaggerating in the *least bit* when I say, I've freakin lost ***everything*** due to LowT. I had a ton going for me and it's all gone. The good news is I'm being giving a second chance here, but I'll never be able to get those years back.

Be grateful you know now. You still have *plenty* of time to lead a **normal** life. Embrace it. Accept what you cant change and go forward.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    In your defense, I can entirely understand at 21 it seems like a lot to do for the rest of your life. And that's certainly a LONG time... You're still immortal at this point. =)

However, consider the alternative for a moment. Have you ever heard the saying, "there but for the grace of God go I"? If you were to meet me in person, you'd be thinking just that. The truth is, my Low T began in my early twenties too. And I'm starting to realize I've had high E even longer. The sad truth is, I did not learn *any* of this until last year and now I'm 42. I'm not exaggerating in the *least bit* when I say, I've freakin lost ***everything*** due to LowT. I had a ton going for me and it's all gone. The good news is I'm being giving a second chance here, but I'll never be able to get those years back.

Be grateful you know now. You still have *plenty* of time to lead a **normal** life. Embrace it. Accept what you cant change and go forward.
    Thats pretty inspirational advice bro, thank you!

WELL SAID!!! Lovely --and so so true---

PPC
    PPC is offline Super Knowledgeable ~ Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    I was on synthroid for about 8 years----and switched to Armour thyroid this past year--I feel SO MUCH BETTER and did this before the gh---I did a lot of research about this---and the bottom line is: armour is desiccated porcine thyroid which contains t-3 and t-4 and a trace of 1 and 2---and when I was on synthroid I felt wired up---and---most important: some people do not easily convert t-4 ( synthoid) into t-3-----this is why my doc put me on Armour---so I would have both---and---it has already improved by doing so!
    Are you using the new forumlated thyroid? So many went back to hypo after they added more of a filler and had to use erfa or NT. Maybe they have changed back?

Using the new----which is better than the Synthroid I was using for so so long---I do not think Armour has changed back to the original formula that I know of---but---first I went on compounded t-3/t-4 synthetic (thinking it was the porcine but not and called the pharmacist to make sure it was porcine and it was not-- and asked why it was not and he said he did not typically use the porcine for religious reasons for most of his customers so)---then I switched to compounded t-3/t4 desiccated porcine-----then simply to Armour which is easy to pick up at any pharmacy without relying on compounding all the time ( if in fact they have it!)---ANYTHING was better than Synthroid! I am happy with the Armour--smooth --I have no comparison to the original Armour formula which I hear was MAGIC

and----I keep Erfa and Nature Thyroid in the back of my mind just in case----do you use either of these?? any thoughts?
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 07-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.

PPC
    PPC is offline Super Knowledgeable ~ Female Member
    Using the new----which is better than the Synthroid I was using for so so long---I do not think Armour has changed back to the original formula that I know of---but---first I went on compounded t-3/t-4 synthetic (thinking it was the porcine but not and called the pharmacist to make sure it was porcine and it was not-- and asked why it was not and he said he did not typically use the porcine for religious reasons for most of his customers so)---then I switched to compounded t-3/t4 desiccated porcine-----then simply to Armour which is easy to pick up at any pharmacy without relying on compounding all the time ( if in fact they have it!)---ANYTHING was better than Synthroid! I am happy with the Armour--smooth --I have no comparison to the original Armour formula which I hear was MAGIC

and----I keep Erfa and Nature Thyroid in the back of my mind just in case----do you use either of these?? any thoughts?
    I don't use them, right now my thryoid is fine.

There is also thyroid-s from thailand if you ever find yourself in the predicament of not having a prescription. It is similar to armour.

When armour was taken off the market for a while, erfa came into the forefront. I encouraged two of my friends to use it since they could no longer get armour. They are still using erfa and think it is great.

If you feel good on the new armour, stay with it, that is what counts. My Mom's antiaging doc just prescribed her armour today. He was putting people on compounded t3/t4 meds for awhile but is going back to armour since people respond better to it.

Sorry to thread-jack but I have a related question. I've been on Synthroid since Feb of this year. I began with .75 daily and now I'm up to 200mcg daily. My latest blood test, as of about a month ago, shows my Free T3 is 3.4 [According to my doctor, normal range is 2.3-4.2] and my T4 Free is 1.08 [Normal is .58 - 1.64]. Based on those numbers my doctor says I'm fine with Synthroid however, I still have quite a few symptoms. Based on those details, would someone like me be able to benefit from Armour?

I think this dialogue might help Casberger's original question ---(so not a thread - jack to me)---what kind of symptoms are you still having? my doc told me I was fine with Synthroid FOR YEARS until I found a much better doc who is anti-aging and thinks out if the box---I have read so much about the resistance of docs switching to Armour---or compounded t-3/t4 --- it is amazing----and to tell you the truth I don't think many docs are even familiar with Armour----I LOVE getting off Synthroid----my energy is back--I do not have the mood swings--my temperature is more steady--I do not have the Synthroid jitters--to me Armour has been perfect--or the compounded t-3/t4---BUT--what are you symptoms?

I think this dialogue might help Casberger's original question ---(so not a thread - jack to me)---what kind of symptoms are you still having? my doc told me I was fine with Synthroid FOR YEARS until I found a much better doc who is anti-aging and thinks out if the box---I have read so much about the resistance of docs switching to Armour---or compounded t-3/t4 --- it is amazing----and to tell you the truth I don't think many docs are even familiar with Armour----I LOVE getting off Synthroid----my energy is back--I do not have the mood swings--my temperature is more steady--I do not have the Synthroid jitters--to me Armour has been perfect--or the compounded t-3/t4---BUT--what are you symptoms?
    Other than my bloodwork coming back low both on T3 and T4. My symptoms would include very low libido, depression, hard to lose weight, easily fatigued. A lot of these coincide with hypogonadism.

remember the thyroid is a major player in your hormone system---so----just make sure you pay attention to it---monitor it--and remember it really needs to be addressed for everything else to fall in line---

when you say you want to "bring your levels up naturally" what do you mean? how do you plan to do this? curious
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 07-15-2010 at 05:17 PM.

In my case it's the cloudy / foggy thinking or difficulty recalling simple details and facts. More significant is the constant feeling of tiredness and fatigue; falling asleep throughout the day etc. Then there's the constipation, moodiness, difficulty loosing weight and a few other minor symptoms not really worth mentioning. I just want to get on with my life and I feel as if this is holding me back.

remember the thyroid is a major player in your hormone system---so----just make sure you pay attention to it---monitor it--and remember it really needs to be addressed for everything else to fall in line---

when you say you want to "bring your levels up naturally" what do you mean? how do you plan to do this? curious
    I have heard supplementing with kelp can help out your thyroid, eating fish 3x a week. Im gonna give this a shot and see if it helps out any. I go back for more bloodwork in 6 weeks. If my levels dont improve I will be resorting to meds.

I also have trouble thinking, like brain fog, its hard to remember peoples names right after they tell me. Constantly feeling anxious all the time. Not sure if these symptoms fall under hypothyroidism.

All I can say is: my anxiety, mood swings and fatigue in the late afternoon disappeared when I started the combo of t-3/t4 and I have heard a lot of people (I became obsessed with this topic a few months ago before switching and really studied it ) do better with both since many people do not easily convert the t-4 into t-3 -- I would definitely ask your doc ---I do however, think many docs are stuck on Synthroid just out of habit and are not open to Armour or comparable (compounded or Erfa or Nature Thyroid)
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 07-15-2010 at 09:00 PM.

deleted
    Last edited by casberger; 07-16-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Casberger--I hope your natural approach works---I really do----and if it does, I am sure we would all love to hear about it!
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 07-16-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Joseph956 is offline Associate Member
    What's the recommended dose for ERFA?

I'm between that and novotiral..

Thread Information