kingfish is offline Junior Member

Typical HRT dosing?

I'm 42 and have a history of low T so I went to an endo in July. I'm going back to see her in two weeks, and she's having me tested again now that I've been off Androgel for over two months (Rx from another doc 3 years ago).
    I'm curious to know what's considered typical dosing for HRT? I know it depends on several factors, but is there a typical range? I told the doc about my two aas cycles from three years ago, and she said she'd definitely consider me a candidate for HRT, but wanted to see where my levels are without the Androgel. I've been testing in the high 200's to very low 300's (some tests have been lower) and would like to be in the upper 1/3 of the normal range 300-1000. From what I've read here, 200mg weekly sounds like a normal therapeutic dose for HRT. Any educated guess as to where might that dosing raise my T levels to?

talstar is offline Junior Member
    I started at 150mgs every 6 days and after 3 months went to 200mgs. My total test was around 700. This amount(200) may be to much for you as everyone is different. It will take you six months to a year to find what your body likes. Good luck

Vettester is offline Banned
    Everyone responds differently, so it's just a guessing game at this stage to tell you what your score will be. It didn't sound like you were getting much benefit out of the gel. Do you feel that this female endo will treat and medicate you properly after you get your results back? I hope your E2 is being looked at with everything going on too.

ds53 is offline Junior Member
    I agree it takes 5 to 6 months to really find out and get your system leveled out for a good blood test, but the dr. useally goes off of the 6 week test and makes adjustment then and will make your prescription for 6 months or maybe a year. I would stay away from any creams or gels if you have a wife, girlfriend, grandchildren, dogs, ect.. as the cream and gel will eventually get in contact with them and will screw them up!

Vetteman, the Androgel wasn't doing much for me. It was maintaining my T around the low 300s. The patch wasn't any better. Three years ago I got an Rx for 200mg Test C every 7 days, which seemed to work well - at least I felt a lot better than I do now. I didn't get your E2 reference, what is that? The endo I'm going to is a jock herself, and is open to different treatment modes so I think she'll be a good doc to work with.

Vettester is offline Banned
    King, the E2 is in reference to the estrogen value, specifically estradiol. Taking exogenous testosterone like gels or injections will convert downstream to estrogen. Your body needs this hormone, but not too much. This process is pretty much inevitable, so it's critical that you keep this score balanced by adding a estrogen blocker like Anastrozole if/when it's needed. Add a E2-Estradiol panel to the labs and you will know where you're sitting.

Review this with your endo and let us know what she says. This needs to be a priority in your program, especially if you're looking to ramp up your score like you are talking about. Read some of the stickies in this forum to get a better idea of the different variables involved with maintaining a optimal HRT program. Keep us posted.
    Thanks!

Vetteman, I did see she's checked off estradiol on the paperwork for my labs (next week) so I'd say she's on top of it. I took Anastrozole 3 years ago as an anti-estrogenic with the Test C. I'm hoping to do this same routine again, but have some reading to do. Will update when I have more data. Thanks.

Update: went back to the endo today

She was a little concerned about my low HDL (35) but wrote me for 200mg Depo EOW. I asked if I could break that up into 100mg EW and she said no problem. No anti-estrogenic necessary because of the low test dose, so I'm assuming there shouldn't be any water retention. She had no problem with me self-injecting, so that makes my life a lot easier. I told her I wanted to get my T levels up into the upper third of the normal range ultimately - she said no problem as long as the labs support it. Then she read me the riot act on losing weight and lowering my cholesterol (triglycerides were high) and blood pressure. My goal is to lose 40lb (I'm at 255 now) and get all those stats well into the normal range. She's going to test me in 6 weeks to stay on top of my progress.

This doc is a rock star.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    She was a little concerned about my low HDL (35) but wrote me for 200mg Depo EOW. I asked if I could break that up into 100mg EW and she said no problem. No anti-estrogenic necessary because of the low test dose, so I'm assuming there shouldn't be any water retention. She had no problem with me self-injecting, so that makes my life a lot easier. I told her I wanted to get my T levels up into the upper third of the normal range ultimately - she said no problem as long as the labs support it. Then she read me the riot act on losing weight and lowering my cholesterol (triglycerides were high) and blood pressure. My goal is to lose 40lb (I'm at 255 now) and get all those stats well into the normal range. She's going to test me in 6 weeks to stay on top of my progress.

This doc is a rock star.
    agree...she sounds like she wants to help....still gonna monitor the estro even though the rock star and u dont expect i hope? and good luck getting the body fat and lipids in check...should be a lil easier for you with good hormone levels and a good training program

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    agree...she sounds like she wants to help....still gonna monitor the estro even though the rock star and u dont expect i hope? and good luck getting the body fat and lipids in check...should be a lil easier for you with good hormone levels and a good training program
    Yep, she sent me home with the lab paperwork already filled out. She's watching estradiol and free/total test as well as complete lipid profile. Plus a bunch of other parameters I don't recall. Very thorough, as far as I can see.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hello, I'm new here but have really enjoyed this forum. Thank you to everyone who contributes. I'm in my early 40's, weight train daily & have been on HRT for 8 months and am doing very, very well. Somewhat similar to what talstar posted, I started at 100mgs every 6 days and after 4 months went to 200mgs ew. I inject .5ml 2 x week. My Total Test was around 800 @ 2-3 months after starting, but I still did not feel good. Dr. then OK'd going to 200mgs and I have felt so much better over the last 4+ months. I am also on HCG 250iu, 2 x week. I agree it will take some time for "you" to determine what the proper dosing should be (with rational judgement of course). Everyone is different. I am fortunate that my Dr. is more concerned with how I feel & perform, than with figures that appear on a piece of paper. However, a couple numbers did come back higher on my last BW. Test was 1400+, TC 212, LDL 141, E2 49.2. My Dr. was not too concerned though. He just asked that we move dosing to every 4 days, bump up the Arimidex , cut down on the Red Meat (I Love Steak), add more Chicken and do more cardio. We will then retest in 3 months. We are thinking the Test figure was partly from when I did the BW anyways. Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by APIs View Post
    Hello, I'm new here but have really enjoyed this forum. Thank you to everyone who contributes. I'm in my early 40's, weight train daily & have been on HRT for 8 months and am doing very, very well. Somewhat similar to what talstar posted, I started at 100mgs every 6 days and after 4 months went to 200mgs ew. I inject .5ml 2 x week. My Total Test was around 800 @ 2-3 months after starting, but I still did not feel good. Dr. then OK'd going to 200mgs and I have felt so much better over the last 4+ months. I am also on HCG 250iu, 2 x week. I agree it will take some time for "you" to determine what the proper dosing should be (with rational judgement of course). Everyone is different. I am fortunate that my Dr. is more concerned with how I feel & perform, than with figures that appear on a piece of paper. However, a couple numbers did come back higher on my last BW. Test was 1400+, TC 212, LDL 141, E2 49.2. My Dr. was not too concerned though. He just asked that we move dosing to every 4 days, bump up the Arimidex, cut down on the Red Meat (I Love Steak), add more Chicken and do more cardio. We will then retest in 3 months. We are thinking the Test figure was partly from when I did the BW anyways. Hope this helps...
    welcome bro...

good to hear...

do u know wut ur LDL and E2 was before? and u dont mention your dose of arimidex ...imo...cholesterol is more hereditary than dietary...also no HDL figures??
    OP, didnt think we would be hijacking since u may learn from his experience and these ?'s as well

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    welcome bro...

good to hear...

do u know wut ur LDL and E2 was before? and u dont mention your dose of arimidex ...imo...cholesterol is more hereditary than dietary...also no HDL figures??
    OP, didnt think we would be hijacking since u may learn from his experience and these ?'s as well
    Hi, last BW in early July was LDL @ 121, HDL @ 46 & E2 @ 71.6. Arimidex was just moved up to .5mg, 3 x week from 2 x week. My most recent HDL is 59. My HDL is usually good. I know from past history that 'my' Cholesterol level has a lot to due with how much Red Meat I'm consuming & amount of cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by APIs View Post
    Hi, last BW in early July was LDL @ 121, HDL @ 46 & E2 @ 71.6. Arimidex was just moved up to .5mg, 3 x week from 2 x week. My most recent HDL is 59. My HDL is usually good. I know from past history that 'my' Cholesterol level has a lot to due with how much Red Meat I'm consuming & amount of cardio.
    k...sounds like you're on track...great..

back to your original q....200mg ew is a high dose of test TO START, IMO....

for starting i would stay around 100-125..

my .02

welcome bro...

good to hear...

No worries, it's good to read about other guys in the same boat. 3 months sounds like a long time to wait between testing IMO. My endo tests me every 6 weeks, but then again I'm not as far along as API is in the process. Like him, my doc is more concerned with how I feel than vs going strictly by test results, which I really appreciate. She put me on Lovaza to lower triglycerides and Glumetza to lower my insulin sensitivity. I should be able to stop taking those two after the weight comes off.

Thread Information