View Poll Results: Do you switch needles after you draw to pin?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 62.86%
  • No

13 37.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member

Do you switch needles after you draw to pin?

Let's see it boys

gym_junki is offline Member
    yep draw wif a 19

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Yep...I always do

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    They're so cheap.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    absoglutely

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Yes of course,

tamvu is offline Junior Member
    absoglutely!

Quote Originally Posted by tamvu View Post
    absoglutely!
    wow great minds

crg
    crg is offline Junior Member
    be funny if I voted "yes" uh?

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You don't NEED TO, but it can make things easier. The reason most people swap needles with AAS is because they use different sizes to draw and inject. It's kind of generally accepted that even pushing a needle through the rubber stopper can dull it, although I'm not sure whether this is actually true or not. Hospitals inject with the same needle they draw with from everything I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by frawnz View Post
    You don't NEED TO, but it can make things easier. The reason most people swap needles with AAS is because they use different sizes to draw and inject. It's kind of generally accepted that even pushing a needle through the rubber stopper can dull it, although I'm not sure whether this is actually true or not. Hospitals inject with the same needle they draw with from everything I've seen.
    i've tried both and definately feel a difference

PC650 is offline Senior Member
    i draw with a 18 pin with a 23

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    i've tried both and definately feel a difference
    I've tried both as well and didn't notice any change. This was with sub-q insulin needle injections tho... although I would think the smaller needles would be more affected by "dulling" than a larger, thicker needle. I haven't tried it with IM AAS injections tho, as I switch from 18g to 25g for that so it's not even an option.

I've tried both as well and didn't notice any change. This was with sub-q insulin needle injections tho... although I would think the smaller needles would be more affected by "dulling" than a larger, thicker needle. I haven't tried it with IM AAS injections tho, as I switch from 18g to 25g for that so it's not even an option.
    could u imagine pinning with an 18 guage every week forever....OUCH

dosXX is offline Member
    a must

Vettester is offline Banned
    Switching from larger to smaller is the only way to go.

crg
    Flats,
    Not to beat a dead horse but I think an equally interesting poll would be to as people “WHY” they switch pins?
    I believe you would find most on this TRT board do whatever it is they do based on suggestions/ opinions of other board members. The results would be long on suggestion/opinion but short on any actual scientific proof or health benefit.

If the liquid exits the pin (injection) an acceptable rate, the only reason for drawing with a larger gauge would be the time it takes to fill the syringe is unacceptable. So it’s a time issue?

Or, you believe it dulls the end of the pin by piercing the rubber stopper and then it’s just too painful for you. So, it’s a pain issue?

Interesting topic though...

The needed force of pushing contents out of a syringe is exponentially less than that of drawing contents in, which is why it's a pain in the ass to draw AAS out of the vial with a small syringe.

could u imagine pinning with an 18 guage every week forever....OUCH
    I don't think I could make myself do an 18g injection unless it was an extreme emergency like sarin/mustard gas.

Quote Originally Posted by crg View Post
    Flats,
    Not to beat a dead horse but I think an equally interesting poll would be to as people “WHY” they switch pins?
    I believe you would find most on this TRT board do whatever it is they do based on suggestions/ opinions of other board members. The results would be long on suggestion/opinion but short on any actual scientific proof or health benefit.

If the liquid exits the pin (injection) an acceptable rate, the only reason for drawing with a larger gauge would be the time it takes to fill the syringe is unacceptable. So it’s a time issue?

Or, you believe it dulls the end of the pin by piercing the rubber stopper and then it’s just too painful for you. So, it’s a pain issue?

Thought about it - but too many variables. Knew you would ask that too.

Here is someone's homework who has more time than me - find a before and after magnified pic of a needle that has passed through the rubber. They are so friggen sharp and are manufactured to such low tolerances, that it would prolly scare you to death even if you can't feel the difference.

I switch because of both time and the dulling. They are so friggen cheap, who wouldn't want to save time and have a sharper pin?

Speaking of that, it is time for me to get my 18g 1" and my 25 1/2" ready.

Later

I had 25 guage pins at one time and believe i skipped the day i was due to pin because i didnt believe that drawing the solution out was even possible bought a box of 18's and was good to go the next day....agree, time and sharpness...black and white esp being on trt...8 week cycle, eh, less problem but even so...like stated b4 they are pretty cheap too

crg
    The needed force of pushing contents out of a syringe is exponentially less than that of drawing contents in, which is why it's a pain in the ass to draw AAS out of the vial with a small syringe.
    FWIW- I just pinned: right lat delt, 25g 1" auto retract, test C, 1/2 cc (200/cc)..it took 40 sec to pull it and I pushed it in 30 sec, same needle, no pain, no blood, no problems...all I'm saying is it works for me, but I'm in no rush

ok ok ok ok bro, I am happy for you. lmao

fleck is offline Associate Member
    i dont bother. haha well someone had to. btw when your drawing out liquid , do you do that slowly to avoid airbubles. And what is the best way to draw without getting airbubbles in there?

Quote Originally Posted by fleck View Post
    i dont bother. haha well someone had to. btw when your drawing out liquid , do you do that slowly to avoid airbubles. And what is the best way to draw without getting airbubbles in there?
    I just stick the needle in the stopper, flip over the vial and draw. It doesn't really matter if I get air bubble, because after I'm done pulling and remove the needle from the stopper, I draw back even further to make sure I pull any excess from the needle, then I swap out to the smaller needle and push all the air out until I get the small bead on the needle tip.

Interesting... I've pretty much always drawn and pinned with the same needle. Too cheap, too lazy, take your pick. I had 22g 1inch for a while and it was easier to draw but pinning became a pain after a while... literally. That's when I switched to 25g 1inch and now it's just a pain to draw but if your patient, it'll come. I have noticed however, that sometimes, regardless of size, if you hit the right spot, [or wrong spot as it may be] it hurts like a sombich. It happened to me just today, I'm talking just piercing the skin. I had to move about an inch away before the skin wasn't sensitive. Not sure the exact cause but I'm assuming it has to do with nerve endings etc.

OH... and here's your image. Clearly NO way you want to reuse the same needle 6 times... Seriously, WTF?! After seeing that, I just may start switching after all.

Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 09-17-2010 at 09:16 PM.

yeh forrest...same here...i like the go in like butter injects....fast i believe is key

Also, I always look at the needle tips before I inject because I have noticed that not all needles have the same angle/sharpness, even in the same batch. I've even had one that had literally no point to it.

77079M is offline New Member
    I use 25g needles and have always drawn and pinned with the same needle. I takes a little bit to draw up the .5cc I inject, but it's no big deal.

Epic Ed is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crg View Post
    Flats,

It's both for me. I prefer the ease of drawing with a larger gauge and I like a freshy to stab myself with. I ran out of 18 ga pins a while back and had to do two injections with the 25 ga pin as my draw and pin needle. It sucked coming and going in comparison. YMMV...

THORSZ is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    I always switch. Pins are cheap so why not? It's clean and feels better.

Termin8r27 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PC650 View Post
    i draw with a 18 pin with a 23
    This

ericzacha is offline New Member
    It's really just a matter of preference. You draw with a smaller gauge needle, it just takes a little bit longer. I draw and inject with a 27g

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    same needle

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    Interesting... I've pretty much always drawn and pinned with the same needle. Too cheap, too lazy, take your pick. I had 22g 1inch for a while and it was easier to draw but pinning became a pain after a while... literally. That's when I switched to 25g 1inch and now it's just a pain to draw but if your patient, it'll come. I have noticed however, that sometimes, regardless of size, if you hit the right spot, [or wrong spot as it may be] it hurts like a sombich. It happened to me just today, I'm talking just piercing the skin. I had to move about an inch away before the skin wasn't sensitive. Not sure the exact cause but I'm assuming it has to do with nerve endings etc.

OH... and here's your image. Clearly NO way you want to reuse the same needle 6 times... Seriously, WTF?! After seeing that, I just may start switching after all.

tol yu

thnx for finding those F/T

dosXX is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericzacha View Post
    It's really just a matter of preference. You draw with a smaller gauge needle, it just takes a little bit longer. I draw and inject with a 27g
    loving those 27s myself - painless!

johncalvin is offline Junior Member
    I don't

First6 is offline Member
    Also, I always look at the needle tips before I inject because I have noticed that not all needles have the same angle/sharpness, even in the same batch. I've even had one that had literally no point to it.
    Very True.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post

based on the pic.... I'm going to start trying to get about 12 pins out of each needle!

Seriously though.... No I use the same to draw ans pin. Never had a problem as long as you check the needle first. Once in a while you get a bad one and it hurts when it breaks the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by First6 View Post
    Very True.

based on the pic.... I'm going to start trying to get about 12 pins out of each needle!

Seriously though.... No I use the same to draw ans pin. Never had a problem as long as you check the needle first. Once in a while you get a bad one and it hurts when it breaks the skin.
    i saw that picture before....i wonder its similar to what the needle looks after piercing the rubber stopper on the vial

i saw that picture before....i wonder its similar to what the needle looks after piercing the rubber stopper on the vial
    I would think the rubber does more damage than our skin does (well some of us)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information