B EZ is offline New Member

Female Testosterone cream, pregnancy?

My wife recently was prescribed Testosterone cream (.5ml applied daily) for a severely low sex drive. Doc said to let her know if any unwanted side-effects appeared (ie facial hair, enlarged clit, ect..) and also stressed DO NOT get pregnant. But left out reasons why not too. Upon little research, the only thing it says is it can effect the gender of the fetus.

Anyone know any more details regarding what happens if she does become pregnant. We actually want another kid, no hurry but soon, but theres a slim chance shell get pregnant if she not on Test bcuz we wont be having sex lol.

Im kind of in a predicument lol.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by B EZ View Post
    My wife recently was prescribed Testosterone cream (.5ml applied daily) for a severely low sex drive. Doc said to let her know if any unwanted side-effects appeared (ie facial hair, enlarged clit, ect..) and also stressed DO NOT get pregnant. But left out reasons why not too. Upon little research, the only thing it says is it can effect the gender of the fetus.

Anyone know any more details regarding what happens if she does become pregnant. We actually want another kid, no hurry but soon, but theres a slim chance shell get pregnant if she not on Test bcuz we wont be having sex lol.

Im kind of in a predicument lol.
    interesting....this is a new one. Perhaps call the doc and find out? I would.

Termin8r27 is offline Junior Member
    All of the recommendations you will find with concur with this - do not take testosterone if you think you might be pregnant, are trying to get pregnant or are pregnant. My wife is on BHRT and we were thinking about having another child as well. I have some of a medical background, although I am NOT a Dr, but don't fully agree with this stance.

I think there are a few problems.
    1. Testosterone is still considered very taboo for the most part and unfortunately this affects most of the research done with it.
    2. Low Testosterone isn't really fully recognized in US medicine as a 'real' and proven medical problem/issue/disease. (remember, in the US we are all about treating diseases ((not curing them!)).
    3. There is much more research done around Progesterone and Estrogen with women - for menopause and pregnancy. Since it's more widely recognized and accepted that both of those hormones are 'female' hormones and more important for female functions, fertility and pregnancy they are therefore researched and tested more.

Because of these above reasons, Dr's (both regular MD's and Anti Aging) are only left with the data that is out there. There is no data or research showing efficacy and safety of taking Testosterone during pregnancy so the only safe recommendation those Dr's can make is one of elimination. The reasoning or hypothesis is just as you described, there is risk that it could negatively affect a female fetus.

I have trouble with this hypothesis because #1 it's only a hypothesis and #2, if a female is not producing enough of her own testosterone, she should be able to take it to bring it up to 'normal' range just as she would with Estrogen and Progesterone. If a 'normal' female makes more testosterone, would they be negatively affecting a female fetus...? I'm sure dosing and type of testosterone can come into play here as well, but at the end of the day, all of the Dr's are going to say the same thing - they don't or will not condone the usage during pregnancy.

Based on all of that, if we ever get pregnant again, my wife still feels most comfortable if she ceased testosterone, for the sake of safety and knowing it would only be temporary. If she felt so bad, we could always have blood work done to see where her testosterone levels were and talk to the clinic again.

Hope that helps in some way, and maybe at least to let you know that there is at least one other person out there in a similar situation!

B EZ is offline New Member
    Appreciate the advice, we think very similar, Im no doctor, but i cant see how testosterone in itself (unless your abusing it and have high levels) can harm or effect a womans pregnancy. Testosterone is a hormone in everyone (women too), everyones levels are different thats why they have such a broad range of "normal" levels. So bringing up a woman with low test to a "normal" range shouldnt harm anything. I'll keep researching though...
    Anyone else have opinions???

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Here is the issue: Testosterone levels can confuse the gender feltal development. What does this mean? A female fetus could have stunted female development and possibly stunted, partially formed male development (dual gender child organs). This is not something you want or want to risk. It is only a minimal risk, but it is a risk!

If you are thinking of getting pregant, just don't take the Test. Getting pregnant is motivation to have sex. Once she is pregnant she won't be horny anyway because of morning sickness.

Thread Information