maxwkw is offline Associate Member

endo appointment

So I have my first appointment with an endocrinologist this coming week. I was prescribed androgel by a gp.

She really doesn't know anything about hrt, so thats why I decided to get an appointment with an endo.

Should I let her know that I am rather well informed about hrt and its standard protocols, or should I play dumb?

I have been playing dumb with my gp, and it seems to get me nowhere, but I don't want to seem suspicious to my new doc.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    could work either way bro......hard to know the ego of the doctor....is that your only question/concern?

playing completely dumb is usually going to get you nowhere except what you got (the gel) (BIGGEST PROFIT FOR THEM)....some docs dont like to be shown up and dont appreciate patience researching and knowing the answers...its slippery bro...i guess you'll have to pose it "what youve researched and ask her if she agrees so it looks like she's the smart one"...

good luck bro

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you play dumb you have to go along with what the doc gives you. If you don't play dumb, you can inject your opinion and preferences.

There is a difference between demonstrating you are well informed about your health issues and being an arogant pain in the ass for the doc. Ask really good questions that show you know what you are talking about. Those questions should also let the doc know what you expect to be addressed (E2 levels not just total T, Free T, etc.). Listen to the doc's answers. Don't argue with the doc, just express "concerns". Only when push comes to shove do you deman tests, treatments, etc. If push comes to shove, it is usually better just to find a new doc.

n00bs is offline Member
    Just print off Crislers protocol and take it with you.

I'm probably going to bring along the standard protocol as written by the AACE and see what she thinks of it. Beyond that I'll probably phrase things in the form of questions, such as.

How do you feel about your patients injecting themselves at home?
    What do you think about incorporating hcg /ai's?

Shol'va is offline Productive Member
    I am constantly amazed by the amount of doctors who absolutely refuse to prescribe shots for their patients who need TRT treatment. The only thing that makes any sense is that they are getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical company, abbott labs. Think about it, a one month script of androgel dosed at 5gm per day runs approx 315.00 at costco pharmacy, and a bottle of testosterone cypionate , 10ml bottle, 2,000 mg at 200 mg per ml, costs 96 dollars at CVS pharmacy. so prescribed at 100mg per week for TRT, one bottle of Test-Cyp will last 5 months, 5 months mind you. These are legit pharmacy prices so I don't think I'm breaking any rules, but if I am I will gladly delete these facts. Of course these prices become a moot point if you have insurance. But still, think of the savings to the insurance companies by having doctors prescibe self injected shots for TRT. It's a mad house a mad house. Man I don't care if I have to go to a dozen docs when it's time for me to go on TRT, I'm going to find one who prescribes shots or die trying. Hopefully that will be many many years down the road. It's one thing to do it occasionally for cycles but another to have to do it all the time just to feel decent. That's why you kids need to listen to the pros here on how and when to do this stuff. Rant over. Sorry for the mini hijack of this thread. Oh and a tip to the OP here, when looking for an endo or doc for TRT, call around in your area first and ask the nurse if her doctor or endo prescibes shots for their TRT patients as an option. This will save you time and effort.

I had my endo appointment yesterday. She was VERY thorough and got me on a nice plan. She's putting me on 50mg/week of test and is going to check my levels in a month.

I had planned on doing a blast in the next few weeks, but that's going to be put on hold for a bit.

She was great, I'm glad that I went to a new doctor.

sirupate is offline Member
    Good news. Always good to find a decent doctor. Save the blast for now and see what your levels are like after being on 50mgs./week for a bit. That isn't very much of a dose, but you never know and she can always increase your dose after your next visit with her. Good luck and keep us posted.

dose too small

Vettester is offline Banned
    Agree with jpk, that's a pretty conservative dose. If they're letting you take your meds home and pin yourself, I'd sandbag taking my shot for about 9 or 10 days so that the labs definitely come back low. I can see some endo running labs 1 or 2 days after they give you a shot, and then your score is within their acceptable range, which means no mas medicino than what they're giving you now.

she's going to be testing me immediately BEFORE my injection in 4 weeks. I'm guessing that my levels are still going to be low. If they are, then she'll increase my dose.

My thoughts are that I'll play by her rules while she's watching me closely, and if she decides that her dose is high enough and I don't agree, then and only then will I decide to take things into my own hands.

I just don't see the point in buying extra test and treating myself when I have the opportunity to let my insurance pay for it. Especially when I can always decide to increase if I want to.

This isn't a cycle where I am trying to use large doses and grow like a weed. This is my TRT, and I'm fully aware that this is probably going to be for life. I'm not trying to be ON forever. I'm looking to be healthy and within normal range and blast a few times a year when I want to grow.

EASTCOASTKID is offline Associate Member
    Dude follow her rules. I did and Im now up to 200 per week. I started at 50 too. Last thing you want to do is piss her off.....

johnwynnejr is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shol'va View Post
    I am constantly amazed by the amount of doctors who absolutely refuse to prescribe shots for their patients who need TRT treatment. The only thing that makes any sense is that they are getting kickbacks from the pharmaceutical company, abbott labs. Think about it, a one month script of androgel dosed at 5gm per day runs approx 315.00 at costco pharmacy, and a bottle of testosterone cypionate, 10ml bottle, 2,000 mg at 200 mg per ml, costs 96 dollars at CVS pharmacy.
    I've done a lot of research into whether doctors get kickbacks or not. From all I have gathered is that kickbacks are given to docs based on their writing of Brand name meds only. Brand name meds brings in the big bucks. The kickbacks can be an all expenses paid vacation to Hawaii, except they must attend a short conference about the meds (The drug companies essentially manipulate a loophole. Kickbacks aren't legal).

Quote Originally Posted by johnwynnejr View Post
    I've done a lot of research into whether doctors get kickbacks or not. From all I have gathered is that kickbacks are given to docs based on their writing of Brand name meds only. Brand name meds brings in the big bucks. The kickbacks can be an all expenses paid vacation to Hawaii, except they must attend a short conference about the meds (The drug companies essentially manipulate a loophole. Kickbacks aren't legal).
    thanks

MJRuff01 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    dose too small
    Agree. You really need about 7 mg a day of Test, and that is the absorbed and usable number not the injection amount. At 50 mg's, you really are just going to shut down natural production and replace it with about the same. Better off not even taking it. 100 mg a week should be the minimum prescribed.

Thread Information