leewil1 is offline Junior Member

Blood tests normal

Hi all, 40 year old male living in the uk 5'11" and 186 1lbs and around 13% bf, I'm convinced although I'm not sure I have low t. Been suffering from the usual symptoms for about 3 years . Thought I felt the way I did because I'd put on weight, was eating poorly, smoking and not exceeding. 2 years ago I decided I'd had enough of feeling shit. I started running , finished smoking and started eating a really clean diet. Then a year ago started weight training. But I still felt the same although I was now toned and looking a lot better. I finally realised there was a problem when I couldn't had muscle, I done it fairly easily in the past but this time nothing and I was beginning to feel more lethargic and sex drive is zero. I then read an article about low t and then did some research and came across this site. Taking the advice I'd seen from the various posts I decided to get bloodwork done. I spoke to my doctor who told me I was depressed and to have some tablets. I said no I want blood tests, which didn't go down well but she agreed. I phoned for the results and she said there normal. Now I'm going to see her tommorrow and as you can probably understand inn going to have a battle on my hands. Now I don't know for sure I have low t and the results could well be normal, but I've read many posts on here about guys being told, there in the normal range. I understand people will want to see the results before commenting but if I leave her office tommorrow without an arguement as to why I shouldn't get treatment it's going to be an ev en bigger battle. I'd appreciate any help, thanks Lee

Do your research on lab blood ranges. In most cases they are extreme and antiquated. Your Total and Free T need to be in optimal ranges and NOT near the bottom of your labs range! That is also true for E2 ranges as well as SHBG and Albumin. Also, make sure you had your Thyroid levels checked; Hypothyroidism has many of the same sides as low T

You may be better served finding a Doctor who understands Low T and TRT protocols.

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    there is a graph here somewhere which shows normal ranges by age - hopefully someone has time to help you find it.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    i'd be willing to bet your levels are less than 500 and probably closer to 200 your symptoms say it all but agree you have to have a full hormone panel and rule out everything and sounds as if you got on of those docs

best of luck

What would you call the lowest threshold 500?

sirupate is offline Member
    Even if you are in the "normal range", I'd stress the symptoms you are experiencing to the doctor. The symptoms may cause your doctor to decide to treat you even if you are low to mid-normal. Good luck with your doctor visit.

Thanks guys, i will keep you posted. Im going to push for a full blood panel, my last blood test was a blood test for god knows what plus testosterone just to pay lip service, the problem is not well understood in the UK and my doctor was giving me that im looking at you but im not listening look, add to that the nerve of me telling her what i think is wrong and the fact that in the UK people think that men needing HRT is absurd, its for women. And the medical proffession wonders why men dont go to there doctors, which must be a contributing factor in why men dont live as long as women. Thats better got it off my chest now, it helps to talk, lol. Thanks again.

THE-DET-OAK is offline Banned
    ^^^^ amen.

they think we dont go through "manopause", when in all actuality the only difference is their's happens almost over-night. ours is a slow progression, over a long period of time.

Got blood tests back

Serum testosterone level 30.0 nmol/L (9.9-27.8)
    Is this conclusive as doctor seems to think. I've managed to persuade her to give me more blood work which will include total, free, estradiol, LH and FSH and have booked an appointment for the 28th of this month with a senior doctor turns out my doctor is a trainee, is there anything else I could look into, any help will be appreciated

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    out of range high??????....strange result...

yes more bloodwork bro...good luck

Igf-would be a good one, and thyroid. oh and maybe prolacitn

Ive had thyroid checked

Serum TSH level 1.80 mU/L (0.27-0.42)
    Can total test come in high but the real problem is free test is that a possible scenario?

yes, we have seen it here a cpl of times

Quote Originally Posted by leewil1 View Post
    Ive had thyroid checked

Serum TSH level 1.80 mU/L (0.27-0.42)
    Can total test come in high but the real problem is free test is that a possible scenario?
    oh yes, you can score 800 but be in the tank on free and need TRT to remedy symptoms. since TSH is responsible, partially, for your bodies natural aromatase inhibition keeping that in check is important. this can be the culprit of high aroma.

for the IGF its important to check because of AGHD ( adult growth hormone deficiency). although igf-1 alone is not sufficient to diagnose that, and usually you need a physical exam to see about organ problems, like degenearative tissues. IF you have low igf-1 with multiple other hormones out of range it can be assumed up to like 90% (i think thats the number) that you have aghd and can be diagnosed without further testing.

always wanna check prolactin cause if its out of control it can be indicative of a tumor, usually when this happens prolactin will be MUCH MUCH higher than normal and if thats the case you want to rule that out. it is a pituitary tumor. usually though if you have high prolactin you will have symptoms like penis insensitivity, half-steam wood, and lactation from the nipples. this fluid is clear and watery, and can also be seen in ejaculation, watery clearish.
    Last edited by THE-DET-OAK; 05-10-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Free t is much more important than total.

So its a waiting game then, get blood work done tommorrow and wait for results, i suspect that free test is the real indicator of hypogonadism, would this assertion be correct?

Quote Originally Posted by flatscat View Post
    Free t is much more important than total.
    So its not unusual to have a high total test reading but a low free t reading? The doctors driving me nuts with is depression angle. She even said to me why would you want to put that into your body ,synthetic test, and then in the next breath is offering me anti depressants, depressing in its self.

do do the anti-depressents, it will only make your situation worse.

Quote Originally Posted by THE-DET-OAK View Post
    do do the anti-depressents, it will only make your situation worse.
    In the UK its almost universally accepted that anti depressants are bad shit, I can assure you i wont be taken any anti feckin depressants, I was also offered the sevices of an happy clappy head shrink, unfeckin believable, a lot of these symptoms are in the head she tells me, its a good job ive found this site and am very grateful for the help i recieve from the guys on here, id be pulling my hair out if it was just me and the doctor, thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by leewil1 View Post
    So its not unusual to have a high total test reading but a low free t reading? The doctors driving me nuts with is depression angle. She even said to me why would you want to put that into your body ,synthetic test, and then in the next breath is offering me anti depressants, depressing in its self.
    most have both low free and total, but it is not unusual to have ok total and low free.

good luck bro, all i can say at this point is educate yourself, that way when you go in to the doc and they start laying a line of BS on you, you will quickly have a logical reply, after that how can they tell you no? there are kind of obligated to treat you, and they are suppose to take your thoughts into consideration.

[QUOTE=leewil1;5635767]So its a waiting game then, get blood work done tommorrow and wait for results, i suspect that free test is the real indicator of hypogonadism, would this assertion be correct?[/QUOTE

you are correct imo

Thread Information