asiandudexxx is offline Junior Member

Kaiser endo prescribed injections, still meeting Dr. Ullis for consult

So in exploring my different treatment options I decided to give the endocrinologist at Kaiser a shot, if anything at least for the free MRI. At my first meeting he ordered the MRI and said, that assuming it comes back clean, he will start me on self-administered testosterone injections (100 mg/week) and we will reassess in 3 months. I was floored as this wasn't the response I was expecting. He actually discouraged use of gel/cream and said it wasn't as effective.

The only problem is he won't prescribe an AI or hCG off the bat as I currently don't have signs of excess estrogen (even though I probably will start to during therapy) and he doesn't deal with fertility so the fertility docs would work with me on that portion later down the road. Is it okay to run injections solo for now and see what happens down the road?

Even though I pretty much got what I need from Kaiser, I'm still meeting with Dr. Ullis next week as he is highly recommended. He looks like he really cares about his patients and knows how to optimize their TRT/HRT.

What do you guys think?

You're Doctor is actually doing the correct start-up protocol.

One thing at a time and measure and monitor along the way and adjust accordingly...perfect!

Looks like you are in good hands and good for you.

Phew thanks for the reassurance! As I've heard horror stories with most mainstream doctors and endos, I just want to make sure to get this right.

FRDave is offline Senior Member
    Wow, very suprising coming from kaiser. I had no luck as I fell in range for all labs even though my test levels were mid 300's at 31 yrs of age on a scale of 250-900. Ended up having to go to an anti aging clinic.

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? Is your test/syringes just costing you the typical $20 co payment?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by FRDave View Post
    Wow, very suprising coming from kaiser. I had no luck as I fell in range for all labs even though my test levels were mid 300's at 31 yrs of age on a scale of 250-900. Ended up having to go to an anti aging clinic.

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? Is your test/syringes just costing you the typical $20 co payment?

Dave
    Well my case may be a little different as I'm 24 and my levels ranged from a high of 270 ng/dL (8 am draw) to a low of 63 ng/dL. Plus I think I lucked out and found the one in a million endo who has some experience with TRT.

I'm in LA, I'm not sure on the copay. I'm assuming it should be the normal amount, but the endo is waiting on my MRI results before actually prescribing the test.

ab037 is offline Associate Member
    Wow glad to hear you actually got somewhere with Kaiser. I too have kaiser (for now) and recently just ran my blood work and came back with high TSH indicating low thyroid and a total test of 231 ng/dl (39 years old) and kaisers lab range was 220 - 1100.. Have tried 2 doctors and many requests just to get them to run additional bloodwork and they wont put in the request.. (was asking for LH, prolactin, PSA, E2 etc) all they would even talk about was the thyroid. I too have talked ot dr Ullis so was glad to actually here he comes highly recommended. Have been feeling like crap so hopefully I can get things moving in the right direction soon.

likelifting is offline Senior Member
    I had zero luck with Kaiser also. I just asked to be tested and he looked at me and said 'No'.

JD250 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Wow, it would seem as though you found a good doc right away, that's the sort of story I would like to hear more often, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by likelifting View Post
    I had zero luck with Kaiser also. I just asked to be tested and he looked at me and said 'No'.
    No kidding. I asked my GP 3 different times over the course of 1 1/2 years to just check my test levels. He denied me each time and actually tried to reassure me that it was normal for my libido to decrease with age (I was 23!). He also said that since I had hair on my head I was definitely not testosterone deficient. I had to get bloodwork done on my own and shove it in their face to get them to move.

Quote Originally Posted by JD250
    Wow, it would seem as though you found a good doc right away, that's the sort of story I would like to hear more often, keep us posted.
    Will do!

Good luck Asiandude.

Quote Originally Posted by ab037 View Post
    Wow glad to hear you actually got somewhere with Kaiser. I too have kaiser (for now) and recently just ran my blood work and came back with high TSH indicating low thyroid and a total test of 231 ng/dl (39 years old) and kaisers lab range was 220 - 1100.. Have tried 2 doctors and many requests just to get them to run additional bloodwork and they wont put in the request.. (was asking for LH, prolactin, PSA, E2 etc) all they would even talk about was the thyroid. I too have talked ot dr Ullis so was glad to actually here he comes highly recommended. Have been feeling like crap so hopefully I can get things moving in the right direction soon.
    Yeah Kaiser is terrible, which is why I was so surprised that I got a relatively good response from the endo on the first visit.

Have you been continually consulting with Dr. Ullis? When I googled him, he was mentioned infrequently but all were positive and usually mentioned in the same category as Dr. Mariano and Dr. Crisler. Despite not even having my first consult yet, he is very courteous via email and seems to really care.

Good luck Asiandude.
    Thanks man.

No, I too have just been emailing him, just got my additional lab tests done this morning, had to come out of pocket and get them myself. So once the results come back I will schedule with Dr U. He was referred by a buddy of mine who uses him for his script.

So I met with Dr. Ullis and couldn't be happier. I'm being prescribed an hCG challenge treatment to see how my testes respond. 1000 iu every 3 days for a month followed by bloodwork. So blessed to be with a doctor who knows what he's doing.

Also going for an MRI today just to rule a tumor out, but I'm expecting it to come back clean.

Anyone have any opinions about the dosage of 1000 IU every 3 days? The hCG sticky recommends not dosing more than 500 iu at any given time due to increased intratesticular E2. Should I split it up to 500 IU every 1.5 days?

kQuick is offline New Member
    I'm with Kaiser also (Northern CA Bay Area) and they are just garbage. Glad you found a Endo to help! Kaiser is such crap, most of them only work there because of their loaded retirement package. They also have protocols not to "go over another Doctors head" aka once they say no they write it in your file and they could red flag you for future visits.

But my 2 cents about this topic, if you have paid for anything out of pocket you should file a grievance form at the members services area. I recently did and they FINALLY gave me a referral to an Endo (not really interested in their help, just for blood testing, MRI's, etc). Also, if you have receipts for anything you've paid for outside of Kaiser regarding your issue, they might be liable to pay you back.

I'm awaiting word on my reimbursement, should know within a few days as it will be 30 days from the date I filed it. But it's worth a shot if you have paid a lot of money outside of Kaiser. I paid more than $1500 and am hoping I get it back. And if I don't I'm going to file a complaint to the California Department of Managed Health.

Again glad you actually got a Kaiser doc to help you though! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kQuick View Post
    I'm with Kaiser also (Northern CA Bay Area) and they are just garbage. Glad you found a Endo to help! Kaiser is such crap, most of them only work there because of their loaded retirement package. They also have protocols not to "go over another Doctors head" aka once they say no they write it in your file and they could red flag you for future visits.

But my 2 cents about this topic, if you have paid for anything out of pocket you should file a grievance form at the members services area. I recently did and they FINALLY gave me a referral to an Endo (not really interested in their help, just for blood testing, MRI's, etc). Also, if you have receipts for anything you've paid for outside of Kaiser regarding your issue, they might be liable to pay you back.

I'm awaiting word on my reimbursement, should know within a few days as it will be 30 days from the date I filed it. But it's worth a shot if you have paid a lot of money outside of Kaiser. I paid more than $1500 and am hoping I get it back. And if I don't I'm going to file a complaint to the California Department of Managed Health.

Again glad you actually got a Kaiser doc to help you though! Good luck!
    Wow that's terrible. Glad you at least got a referral for the free services. I'm doing the same thing but seeking treatment from someone who knows what they're doing, cares, and wants to work with me. Even though the Kaiser endo seems good compared to other doctors I have heard of, they've already left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm hesitant to trust them with my long term health.

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna file a grievance as well to see if I can recoup some of my expenses. Good luck on the reimbursement situation, that sounds like a big headache to get back money you shouldn't have needed to pay anyways.

Hey Kquick,
    this member services area you mention, is this online or actually at the facility? I recently battled with a cpl Dr's at kaiser to get bloodwork done anyway I ended up going on my own through Labcorp. So would love to get those turds to reimburse the cost..

FTR Kaiser has treated me pretty good. I can't complain other than my doc not checking my T levels.

Wow, that is surprising.. congrats, you seem to be the lucky one

Quote Originally Posted by asiandudexxx View Post
    Anyone have any opinions about the dosage of 1000 IU every 3 days? The hCG sticky recommends not dosing more than 500 iu at any given time due to increased intratesticular E2. Should I split it up to 500 IU every 1.5 days?
    You asked this in the sticky and I responded...but will do so here for everyone's benefit.

1000 iu in one shot will shock your testicles and can cause a number of things to happen;

1. You have a fixed number of leydig cells on your testicles so over dosing does nothing but...
    2. Desensitizing your leydig receptors to future dosing...
    3. Increase serum E2 levels which you don't want...
    4. Making future HCG injections less effective.

This is one peptide you want to take in lower doses more frequently.

Ideally, a man on a TRT protocol would be something like 100 iu daily.

The only time we see extremely high doses like this is for fertility treatment...I even second guess that protocol to be honest.

My dose is 175 ed. Too much, gdevine? thx.

My dose is 175 ed. Too much, gdevine? thx.
    That's fine...may want to go to 100 iu ED as that would be just as efficient and it's what Dr. Crisler likes as well.

^ Thank you.

fitness buff is offline New Member
    i also had a tuff time with kp, my age is 54 so i went to an advance med dr . after my blood work and 3 rxs later about 800.00 bucks . my script is gel from a compounding pharma. 1st and 2nd batch was good then i leveled off (about 6 weeks) . sometimes the effects i felt were slim to none but with the right foods and supplements its working. i also take d-mulsion 1000 ,multi vitamin and krill oil

kQuick is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ab037 View Post
    Hey Kquick,
    this member services area you mention, is this online or actually at the facility? I recently battled with a cpl Dr's at kaiser to get bloodwork done anyway I ended up going on my own through Labcorp. So would love to get those turds to reimburse the cost..

Hey sorry for the late reply. I did it in person through the Member Services Department. It's the area you go to if you need insurance, file a complaint, etc. They are still delaying on paying me back, but I'll see what happens. They probably don't want to repay the $1500 I have spend, but if yours is lower they probably will. Also you have to currently be on a Health Plan, either workers HMO or out of pocket paid plan.

Thread Information