wannabeme is offline Junior Member

Female HPTA Shutdown with Exogenous Estrogen, Progesterone, and others?

Sorry if this has been covered. I have searched but not found anything. I have finally convinced the wife to go to a clinic (and great news is there are several locally which accept my insurance) for a consultation and blood workup. I read 2 hormone books over the holidays which were fantastic - could not put them down. Natural Hormone Balance for Women by Uzzi Reis and Testosterone - A Man's Guide Second Edition by Nelson Vergel.

One thing that was not really covered in Reis' book to my recollection was Female HPTA shutdown. This topic is extremely well-covered regarding testosterone in men, but I cannot seem to find any information about it with women. Anyone have any information regarding this? Does it seem silly to be concerned about it if we are talking about a lifetime commitment to therapy anyway? It just "feels" a little scary to think that once on therapy, can't really go "off" therapy without major consequences that would be, maybe, worse than if no therapy was ever done. What if, heaven forbid, we are ever without insurance or the means? I don't know - I guess I'm just nervous because it's getting very "real" now that she has agreed to get things checked out. Considering how much she has changed in the last few years, I am fairly certain she will be a good candidate for therapy.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    I am not a shutdown expert, but my wife is on HRT. She has very high estrogen and very low testosterone and progesterone. She uses a daily cream and is happy but your financial fears are valid. It is a little expensive ($60 a month, I think) and not covered by her insurance. If money ever got tight she might chose to stop treatment and would go back to having problems. Personally, I would cut cable before agreeing to have her stop treatment. It all comes down to priorities.

We were not worried about a lifetime of treatment because I have been on TRT for a while and it is just a fact of life - if you want to feel better you need to take your "meds."

Don't worry yet. Get blood work done and find out what the problem is (if there is one).

CrazyTeddy is offline New Member
    I agree with you.

Johnny Vegas, do you know what's in the cream? Is it a custom compounded combination? Off the shelf prescription?

The good news is my insurance will cover things like oral progesterone at $20/month copay and, just browsing for myself potentially, Test Cyp 200mg per unit 10 unit vial copay is $88.

Don't know if they will cover compounded meds or not but I doubt it...

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Custom compounded combination:
    Testosterone 20 mg/g
    Progesterone 15 mg/g
    DHEA 15 mg/g

My insurance will cover Cyp, but only a 30 day supply at once. I pay out of pocket so I can get 10ml at a time.

very cool - thanks!

Thread Information