Thread: diet advice

cornfedboy2000 is offline Associate Member

diet advice

Posted in nutrtion forum, figured I'd try here too. How drastic can I cut my caloric intake, focussing on taking in higher protein (shakes, lean meat, fish) and lower but good carbs (veggies, fruit), while still maintaining healthy bone re-growth? I'm 4 days away from my 5th surgery since august on my leg, (titanium rod replacement and bone graft), but still need to drop weight NOW. I was thinking of sticking around the 1500-1800 range. thoughts?

jomamma007 is offline Member
    height, weight, bf% etc???

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cornfedboy2000 View Post
    Posted in nutrtion forum, figured I'd try here too. How drastic can I cut my caloric intake, focussing on taking in higher protein (shakes, lean meat, fish) and lower but good carbs (veggies, fruit), while still maintaining healthy bone re-growth? I'm 4 days away from my 5th surgery since august on my leg, (titanium rod replacement and bone graft), but still need to drop weight NOW. I was thinking of sticking around the 1500-1800 range. thoughts?
    mate. saw the pics.

I'll say it again. The atkins works, and it works fast. keep it under 50 grams of carbs/day for the first two months. this will force your body into keto and burn fat. if you do it right, guarantee you will lose 30+ pounds of fat your first two months.

Ever read anything abouut the atkins diet?

Yes, I've heard of it, never did much research as I've never had this big of a problem. I know it was designed by a cardiologist as a shock start diet for his obese cardiac patients. As I now fit into the obese category I think I'll look into it. The pics were pretty tough to post, but reality is some times a difficult burden to bear.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    When it first came out, my wife followed it to the "t". She dropped about 20#. So yea, it works...rapidly

Good luck with the surgery.

EDIT: of course, I need to tell you that she gained it all back+some. So, maybe a slow, steady pace will be more beneficial in the long run.
    Oh, and I applaud you for putting up pics. Right on, bro!!
    Last edited by Rusty11; 03-30-2013 at 07:39 PM.

The trick is to slowly add complex carbs back in over a matter of a month or better, at least according to a friend of mine that did it with lasting results. Thanks for the props. Its ugly, but that's why I'm here. Thinking of printing those pics and putting them on my fridge and cabinets.

jomamma007 is offline Member
    Low carb diets just make you lose water initially and so you think you lost more fat then in actuality. Then when you go back to your normal diet you gain back all the water from eating carbs again.Whatever "diet" you chose, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is calories in vs out. Whether you want to do low carbs or high carbs, just make sure you are in a caloric deficit. That number is depended entirely upon the individual as everyone runs on a different metabolic rate along with their exercise and TDE. Like the above said his wife gained it all back, don't fall for fad diets brother, keep it simple and something that you can do long term. Aim for 2-4 lbs loss a week as you said you are obese so you can shoot for more then the normal 1-2lbs. I like to do my weight X13 to find out my starting daily caloric intake when I diet. I start with set calories and adjust if needed. Good luck!!!
    Last edited by jomamma007; 03-30-2013 at 07:49 PM.

ctenosaura is offline Associate Member
    I did the Atkins diet for 3 months. I did drop weight, but slowly lost strength and muscle fullness. When I went back to a more normal diet my strength shot back up and I filled out. For pure weight loss, it works but its hard to maintain. For your goal at this time, it may be the right thing to do.

GeriatricOne is offline Associate Member
    Cut out bread, pasta, and sugary drinks. Keep your diet to whole unprocessed foods. Meat and vegetables, some fruit, nuts and seeds. Minimal to no sugar. Shop around the perimeter of the grocery store. Produce, meats, dairy (limited). Avoid the isles. That's where all the processed crap is. Add intensity to your workouts, if necessary.

Eat clean. Prepare your own meals. Eat like your great grandparents would have eaten and avoid all this modern advertised processed "food" and you'll be fine.

raym is offline New Member
    I will tell you about my experience. I stayed low carb but calorie sufficient through my spinal fusion and hip replacement and follow up procedures for removing hardware, etc. yay motorcycles! I was having serious problems in rehab, so started doing lean protein, 200gr clean carbs and a 500-600 calorie deficit and made huge progress, even lost some weight though that was not my goal. I'm done with rehab now and running an extreme low carb deal. My advice is to do what is necessary to heal, then do wat you have to when it is time to lose weight.

Oh postoperative folks said my post surgery recovery was really fast and uncomplicated...I credit the lower carb eating.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by raym View Post
    I will tell you about my experience. I stayed low carb but calorie sufficient through my spinal fusion and hip replacement and follow up procedures for removing hardware, etc. yay motorcycles! I was having serious problems in rehab, so started doing lean protein, 200gr clean carbs and a 500-600 calorie deficit and made huge progress, even lost some weight though that was not my goal. I'm done with rehab now and running an extreme low carb deal. My advice is to do what is necessary to heal, then do wat you have to when it is time to lose weight.

Oh postoperative folks said my post surgery recovery was really fast and uncomplicated...I credit the lower carb eating.

Ray
    that's what I'm hoping will happen. I'm thinking that by cleaning it up my body will become more efficient and I'll finish healing a little easier. It's a fine line trying to balance calorie deficit enough to lose weight, yet enough calories to heal. This all has been great advice guys... First things first will be cleaning it up and breaking out my old intake log. Perhaps I'll start a log on here to, with pics of current weight etc. Just to keep me honest lol.

Papiriqui is offline Productive Member
    Bottom line is, that this has to become a lifestyle rather. If you think of it as a diet just to drop some weight and then continue to eat crap than you will be in a roller coaster. Once you drop the weight you need to be smart in knowing what to eat and keep eating lean the rest of your life.

Thread Information