rollingthunder is offline Associate Member

elevated calcium=hyperparathyroidism?

just had blood work done last week - full "basic panel", which includes a bunch of stuff, in addition to TRT items, such as testosterone , dhea and E2.

free test - 15.9 (a bit low, but i had the blood drawn on the day i was due for my next test cyp injection.)
    E2 - 19.1 just about where i want it

anyway, my serum calcium number was 10.7, with a reference range of 8.7-10.2.

looking back over the past 4 years, that number has been slightly elevated (10.5-10.9) in every previous blood test. i never gave it much of a thought because, 1. it's not that much above the range, and 2. i eat a ton of dairy, like cottage cheese and yogurt, plus whey protein powder, all of which has calcium, so i figured "diet related".

however, i did a bit of online research and am concerned i might have "hyperparathyroidism". apparently, the parathyroid regulates calcium in the body, and if your blood shows elevated levels of calcium, it is possible, if not likely, due to a benign tumor on one of the parathyroid glands.

it is not "life threatening", but if left untreated can casue some serious health problems, including osteoporosis and increased risk of some forms of cancer.

the good news is there is a relatively simple "micro-surgical" procedure that can remove the tumor.

anybody know anything about this?

Joseph956 is offline Associate Member
    What are some of the symptoms? Are you exhibiting any of them? I've always thought I had elevated calcium levels because my nails seem to grow really strong REALLY fast, but I don't have any dairy hardly at all.. unless you count cheese.

This oriental lady when I was getting my nails cut said that strong nails like that meant that I was healthy, so I just brushed it off.. I wonder where I'm really at though.

rollingthunder is offline Associate Member
    ironically, some of the symptoms are similar to those of low testosterone :

from "parathyroid.com":

Symptoms of Parathyroid Disease (Hyperparathyroidism)
    -Loss of energy. Don't feel like doing much. Tired all the time. Chronic fatigue.
    -Just don't feel well; don't quite feel normal. Hard to explain but just feel kind of bad.
    -Feel old. Don't have the interest in things that you used to.
    -Can't concentrate, or can't keep your concentration like in the past.
    -Depression.
    -Osteoporosis and Osteopenia.
    -Bones hurt; typically it's bones in the legs and arms but can be most bones.
    -Don't sleep like you used to. Wake up in middle of night. Trouble getting to sleep.
    -Tired during the day and frequently feel like you want a nap (but naps don't help).
    -Spouse claims you are more irritable and harder to get along with (cranky, bitchy).
    -Forget simple things that you used to remember very easily (worsening memory).
    -Gastric acid reflux; heartburn; GERD.
    -Decrease in sex drive.
    -Thinning hair (predominately in middle aged females on the front part of the scalp).
    -Kidney Stones (and eventually kidney failure).
    -High Blood Pressure (sometimes mild, sometimes quite severe; up and down a lot).
    -Recurrent Headaches (usually patients under the age of 40).
    -Heart Palpitations (arrhythmias). Typically atrial arrhythmias.
    -Atrial Fibrillation (rapid heart rate, often requiring blood thinners and pacemakers).
    -High liver function tests (liver blood tests).
    -Development of MGUS and abnormal blood protein levels

i definitely have some of these symptoms, mostly related to low energy levels

Joseph956 is offline Associate Member
    LOL I wouldn't sweat it.. most of these diseases sound like fortune tellers,

they name every single thing that someone can possibly be feeling and hope that they nail you with at least one of two symptoms so they can label you and make money treating you..

Just checked my levels from last year and since not much has changed since then I would imagine it's the same: 9.3 mg/dl 8.5 - 10.5

it's on the high side but I don't think it's anything to stress over.

Thread Information