samwalt is offline New Member

low/normal lh/fsh pre possible trt visit.

Hi,

Total test 584 ng/dl 348- 1197

SHBG 56.7 nmol/L 16.5-55.9 High

Free, T 8.5 ng/dl Low

LH 5.6 mIU/mL 1.7-8.6 HD

FSH 3.7 mIU/mL 1.5-12.4 HD

Prolactin 7.9 ng/mL 4.0-15.2

TSH 1.7

Estrogen 13 3-70

I just got some blood work back, and I have an appointment with an endo in 3 weeks.
    He's discussed a hcg mono or possible trt for me.

Before, my estrogen was 42, and my SHBG was 75. He had me take a couple proviron , which I finished 6 weeks ago. It seems it was a bit overkill, and knocked down my SHBG, but I'm still having a problem with it.
    So it appears the sole reason for high SHBG.

I'm 32, no kids, and would like to have a couple, maybe 5 years or so out.
    So my questions related to the LH, FSH. The FSH is lower then the LH.
    I know they're 'normal' but a bit on the low side.
    How good is this level? Should I do any more tests now, in case me and future wife run into problems trying to have some kidos later?

Trific is offline Member
    LH & FSH are pulsatile, so it depends on where in their cycle they were caught.

They don't look low to me, but there are guys here that know them better than me....
    I'd get that high SHBG remedied if you can so you can get some free T and look at all the other hormones like thyroid too, then reassess...

584 test isnt too bad..no reason to screw with trt when u have that much t..what was the range for free t.

range for free T 5 - 25 ng/dl

And my available test (free + albumin bound, non shbg bound) is ~200, which is only 1/3 of the ideal of ~ 600 i've seen.

Average for men 30-40 was ~ 12.3 in a study of a couple hundred men. W/ a standard deviation of 2.3, so mine's low.
    ~ in the bottom 5% or so people my age.
    I've been losing a lb or two of muscle every year, and gaining 1-2 of fat like clockwork. Energy's low.

Plus, my TT was higher before at 610, when the Shbg was 73. Most likely, Shbg, the carrier protein, was holding onto my test (pooling it), and as it was released my body didn't replace it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by samwalt View Post

And my available test (free + albumin bound, non shbg bound) is ~200, which is only 1/3 of the ideal of ~ 600 i've seen.

Average for men 30-40 was ~ 12.3 in a study of a couple hundred men. W/ a standard deviation of 2.3, so mine's low.
    I've been losing a lb or two of muscle every year, and gaining 1-2 of fat like clockwork. Energy's low.

Plus, my TT was higher before at 610, when the Shbg was 73. Most likely, Shbg, the carrier protein, was holding onto my test (pooling it), and as it was released my body didn't replace it quickly.
    584 and 610 is normal fluctuation imo....when were you tested both times? your free t is low, i agree...but what was the range for the free and loose? just because you arent ideal doesnt mean you should go on trt...but your free t might warrant it. i dont think there's a way to lower shbg..that sucks a it could really help. maybe arimisdx could hel depending on estradiol.

Quote Originally Posted by samwalt View Post

maybe try stinging nettle root and all tht other herbal crap rofl.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Nettle and vitamin D should help improve your SHBG/ free test. Focus on other variables like diet, exercise, and plenty of sleep as well. Review other areas as well like your thyroid, DHEA, cortisol, ... etc., to ensure that you are looking at the entire picture.

Thanks. All of this is sound advice. Unfortunately, I've already been through most of it.
    I was tested earlier in the morning on the 2nd lab, and the scale went higher too. So, an overall lower place in it.
    I'll still admit it could be normal fluctuations.

Yes, I took some aromasin to kill the estrogen, and it did lower the shbg, just not that much.
    Using arimidex before, I had a rebound effect, and it was actually higher later on.
    And I've been supplemented vit d (it's high on other labs). I've never tried stinging nettle, but I will be shortly.

Thyroid is good. Diet's very good. I'm 193 lb, 6' 1. Maybe 11%. but this is been gradually trending up.
    Naturally if unimpaired, I've been a legit 8% or so, my whole life. Also getting weaker, with same training and workouts.

I've seen other things that can kill off the shbg (danzol, etc), but from what i've read, it doesn't seem to make people feel better, and it usually lowers the total T. This could make sense as the bound test could have been pooled for a long time, and then once released, it was metabolized, and was inefficiently replaced.

For perspective, using a test calculator, I have the same free test of people with low mid 400 TT, and slightly higher then normal shbg.
    Overall, not that great.

I remember taking clomid, years ago, and perhaps this elevated my shbg so high. But too late to tell now.

thanks for all your help everyone
    Last edited by samwalt; 06-13-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Thread Information