TraceMYD is offline Associate Member

Can Dexamethasone cause Tesosterone suppresion?

Hey there.. I was wondering about this drug called Dexamethasone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamethasone

My Father is 67 years old(NOT ON TRT) and a doctor gave it to him after a surgery he had on his hand to deal with some post surgery complications

However, ever since he took it he has been seeing more relevant and classic signs of LowT, almost like he has crashed his T levels.

I read what wikipedia says about the drug and it seems very suspicious.. especially after reading "it is widespread among prostitutes in Bangladesh in spite of the dangers, because it helps them develop fat easily.[19][20]"

I'm wondering if taking a steroid like this should have been followed by some form of PCT?

Or if anyone has any opinion about it?

I convinced my father to get his Test levels checked today but we are waiting on the blood results.

THanks Trace

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    The knee jerk answer would be no its a corticosteroid - not an anabolic / androgenic steroid . However given elevated cortisol can definitely lower test levels and this(dexa) is WAY more potent than cortisol its a viable thory or thought to put out there imo.

phaedo is offline Associate Member
    Depending on how much and how long is really the largest determining factor for negative side effects of corticoidsteroids. The studies you're referring to, for example, show that corticosteroid CAN cause fat gain around the abdomen and thinning of the appendages, but only under certain conditions. In other words, you develop Cushings when used in excess.

Do corticoid steroids need a PCT? In short, no. If used for long terms, such as those treated for adrenal insufficiency, then the hydrocortisone or predisone (for example) are slowly tapered (over the course of months). When used for post-surgical inflammation concerns, tapering provides no real benefit since your adrenals will likely recover with proper cortisol output.

How long has your father used dexamethasone?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedo
    Depending on how much and how long is really the largest determining factor for negative side effects of corticoidsteroids. The studies you're referring to, for example, show that corticosteroid CAN cause fat gain around the abdomen and thinning of the appendages, but only under certain conditions. In other words, you develop Cushings when used in excess.

Do corticoid steroids need a PCT? In short, no. If used for long terms, such as those treated for adrenal insufficiency, then the hydrocortisone or predisone (for example) are slowly tapered (over the course of months). When used for post-surgical inflammation concerns, tapering provides no real benefit since your adrenals will likely recover with proper cortisol output.

How long has your father used dexamethasone?
    Two cycles of 14 days. Several months apart.
    He did get a high sense of well being and high energy level from it.

phaedo is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, there'd be minimal side effects from such short use of duration.

If he felt noticeably "better" on the drug, I'd suggest maybe he have a thyroid panel, since cortisol usually effects thyroid (T3) uptake and T4/T3 conversion. This *maybe* could explain his energy levels.

Usually, high doses of corticoidsteroids can induce anxiety, nervousness, and irritability.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedo
    Yeah, there'd be minimal side effects from such short use of duration.

If he felt noticeably "better" on the drug, I'd suggest maybe he have a thyroid panel, since cortisol usually effects thyroid (T3) uptake and T4/T3 conversion. This *maybe* could explain his energy levels.

Usually, high doses of corticoidsteroids can induce anxiety, nervousness, and irritability.
    Thanks buddy! Appreciate the info.

pawn master is offline Junior Member
    I am currently using dex for tendonosis. I have cortisone injections in my right shoulder joint and then use dex 4mg a day for 7 days and it helps me a lot. I have done this 3 years in a row and it always helps me. I am half your dads age so I do not want to make any sort of recommendations just letting you know my experience.

Thread Information