Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte

Thread: Giving blood ?

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member

Giving blood ?

Gave blood Saturday due to trt even though my hematocrit was only 46, while there I noticed I can give double reds. Is there any plus to doing this? High hematocrit has to do with rbc correct?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    double reds, although delta blood bank doesn't offer it yet (requires special equipment, like a centrifuge) is good if your RBC is on the high end. I believe it is a 2 hour process, which probably means some bruising on the arm

donating blood is just plain good for your health too.

i remember keith richards would get blood transfusions, and after, he's say, "man, i feel like a million bucks!"

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    double reds, although delta blood bank doesn't offer it yet (requires special equipment, like a centrifuge) is good if your RBC is on the high end. I believe it is a 2 hour process, which probably means some bruising on the arm donating blood is just plain good for your health too. i remember keith richards would get blood transfusions, and after, he's say, "man, i feel like a million bucks!"
    yes I used to give a lot, Red Cross does a lot for military personal to include paying to get me home for a family emergency. I'm gonna give every two months since I'm on trt now. Doesn't hematocrit being high mean you have to many rbc? They did have the machines set up there, I was just kinda curious.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It only takes a little longer than whole blood. The advantage is that they extract twice as many RBCs, so it has double the effect on your hematocrit (which is the percentage of your blood comprised of RBCs). There is no more potential for bruising than a whole blood donation.
    TestingMe likes this.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    The downside to double RBC donation though is twice the wait time as usual. It's a trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    It only takes a little longer than whole blood. The advantage is that they extract twice as many RBCs, so it has double the effect on your hematocrit (which is the percentage of your blood comprised of RBCs). There is no more potential for bruising than a whole blood donation.
    thanks this is all I was wondering about. I will keep giving blood but if my readings go up I know I can give dreds. Learn something everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    The downside to double RBC donation though is twice the wait time as usual. It's a trade off.
    It doesn't. I've done both on multiple occasions and double reds only takes a bit longer. Plus, the majority of the time spent at the blood bank usually isn't spent with a needle in your arm. It's the waiting around, filling out forms, getting vitals, etc, so even doubling your draw time would save a lot more time than making twice as many visits.

LT75 is offline Associate Member
    It doesn't. I've done both on multiple occasions and double reds only takes a bit longer. Plus, the majority of the time spent at the blood bank usually isn't spent with a needle in your arm. It's the waiting around, filling out forms, getting vitals, etc, so even doubling your draw time would save a lot more time than making twice as many visits.
    I think he meant time between donations. With double red you have to wait 16 week between donations. At least at my place you do. I have been thinking about trying it. Only takes 20-30 minutes to donate. They use a saline solution and a anticoagulant in the IV.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LT75 View Post
    I think he meant time between donations. With double red you have to wait 16 week between donations. At least at my place you do. I have been thinking about trying it. Only takes 20-30 minutes to donate. They use a saline solution and a anticoagulant in the IV.
    Correct LT75, I meant time in between donations not time at the center. Sorry if I worded that poorly Bonaparte

Ohh ok.
    Yeah, that is true.

Thread Information