jomamma007 is offline Member

dehydration , help!!!!!

Guys I really need help. All my levels seem pretty good except iron is a bit off.
    My problem is that I always feel dehydrated especially when I workout. I'll drink half gallon just during my workout and and my piss will Still be yellow and my muscles will lose my pump, my energy goes to near nothing, and I'll start getting a little dizzy if I don't sip water after every set. I don't know if this can be cause by low estrogen, mines at 19 on the sensitive panel. Other then that I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by jomamma007; 12-13-2013 at 04:28 PM.

NEFLRick is offline Associate Member
    Are you drinking water throughout the day? Are you drinking other things like coffee or anything which will act as a diuretic? On any other medications which have a diuretic in it (like high BP)?

I drink caffeine, but even when i don`t i still have this problem.
    And yes im easily taking in 1-2 galloons a day

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I was substantially dehydrated recently due to, well, explosive diarrhea. I think i lost almost a gallon of fluids the first night. Anyways, the answer is rehydration salts. i take them all the time, and you will notice a substantial improvement within the first 24 hours.

but then again, most of you really don't know, or have experienced the effects of severe dehydration...\
    ...typically, they are general fatigue, lethargy, compromised cognitive abilities. I would get off work, and go straight to bed and sleep the entire night through. This lasted for weeks. within 24 hours of re-hydration salts, big improvement!

chances are, you do not have severe dehydration issues, as it is reasonably uncommon in all but the poorest of countries around the world. but just in case you do, here is the least expensive way to make it yourself. quite simple actually....

Oral Rehydration Solutions ORS Made at Home - Rehydration Project

...and don't skip the glucose because you are afraid of it GV. just follow the directions, and viola!!

MICKY H is offline Associate Member
    Yes Roman, the old fashioned way was just put a teaspoon of salt in your drink bottle. Don't taste so good but it works. I still use this in Ironman competitions.

BallSak is offline Associate Member
    Unquenchable thirst and fatigue are also signs of diabetes. Have you had a A1C test lately? Have you been losing weight somewhat rapidly?

If it is dehydration, I would suggest looking into Electrolyte Stamina by Trace Minerals. Great product!

J DIESEL3 is offline Associate Member
    I don't believe it's the low estrogen.

I struggle to get my e2 over 14 on a sensitive panel and never have any dehydration issues.I don't use any AI either.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSak View Post
    Unquenchable thirst and fatigue are also signs of diabetes. Have you had a A1C test lately? Have you been losing weight somewhat rapidly?

If it is dehydration, I would suggest looking into Electrolyte Stamina by Trace Minerals. Great product!
    Doubt it -___-

Hemoglobin A1c 5.0 4.8-5.6 % SO .
    Increased risk for diabetes: 5.7 - 6.4 Diabetes: >6.4
    Glycemic control for adults with diabetes: <7.0

Insulin 4.0 2.6-24.9 uIU/mL

Glucose, Serum 80 65-99 mg/dL SO

Quote Originally Posted by MICKY H View Post
    Yes Roman, the old fashioned way was just put a teaspoon of salt in your drink bottle. Don't taste so good but it works. I still use this in Ironman competitions.
    Yes i been taking a few teaspoons of sea salt daily, doesnt seem to help..

Metalject is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I used to have some horrible dehydration issues for years. It was a very bad problem. It got so bad that I started having severe muscle cramping issues. At times nearly full body and it was paralyzing. The worst were the stomach cramps as in the ab muscles. Those could just about make you vomit they were so painful.

Anyway, in the end it ends up I have a sodium issue. It took going to 3 doctors to figure this out. I require a very large amount of salt every day, far more than the average person as my body doesn't process it like a normal person. It's not a very common thing but not as rare as you might think but anyone who's active and has this issue is going to need a fair amount. Unfortunately for me, I'm not a big salt guy so I started taking salt tablets every day on top of eating soy sauce on everything. Now that it's under control I just make sure I get plenty of salt and water every day and I'm fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalject View Post
    I used to have some horrible dehydration issues for years. It was a very bad problem. It got so bad that I started having severe muscle cramping issues. At times nearly full body and it was paralyzing. The worst were the stomach cramps as in the ab muscles. Those could just about make you vomit they were so painful.

Anyway, in the end it ends up I have a sodium issue. It took going to 3 doctors to figure this out. I require a very large amount of salt every day, far more than the average person as my body doesn't process it like a normal person. It's not a very common thing but not as rare as you might think but anyone who's active and has this issue is going to need a fair amount. Unfortunately for me, I'm not a big salt guy so I started taking salt tablets every day on top of eating soy sauce on everything. Now that it's under control I just make sure I get plenty of salt and water every day and I'm fine.
    What kind of test did you run to figure this out, and how much salt do you injest daily?

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalject View Post

Interesting. I assume this is a defect in the renin-angiotensin system, because most people have too much sodium and not enough potassium. Angiotensin II stimulates adrenals to product aldosterone, which helps the reabsorption of sodium and water into the body, and there could be a problem along the way there. I mention this, jomamma, as I thought you were one of the people who was wondering if you had adrenal issues. I'm sorry I can't recall whether you went to see an endo to get some testing done to get some answers there. If I have you confused with someone else, I apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    Interesting. I assume this is a defect in the renin-angiotensin system, because most people have too much sodium and not enough potassium. Angiotensin II stimulates adrenals to product aldosterone, which helps the reabsorption of sodium and water into the body, and there could be a problem along the way there. I mention this, jomamma, as I thought you were one of the people who was wondering if you had adrenal issues. I'm sorry I can't recall whether you went to see an endo to get some testing done to get some answers there. If I have you confused with someone else, I apologise.
    You're correct, that was me. And I just had bloods tested and it doesn't seem like adrenal fatigue.

ACTH, Plasma 39.9 7.2-63.3 pg/mL SO
    DHEA-Sulfate 405.4 164.3-530.5 ug/dL (been supplementing)
    Cortisol - AM 18.1 6.2-19.4 ug/dL
    Although I couldn't test for aldosterone :\,
    labcorp doesn't seem to test for it anymore, at least through privatemd labs

My systolic bp been going up slightly as of late as well, but with an estradiol sensitive of 19 it's not from high estrogen.

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    What was the DHEAs before you started supplementing (and remind me of your age)? And what time was the cortisol test (apologies if you had said this elsewhere, there have been a fair few posts about adrenal and/or thyroid issues lately, and I can't keep all the details in my head).

I'm just reacting to the fact that it seems you have been thinking your symptoms were related to adrenals. Now it sounds like you may be having a problem related to aldosterone regulating your fluids, and that is also an adrenal problem. Sometimes people respond decently to synacthen, because that is such an incredibly strong stimulus to the adrenals, but are still not making the optimal amount of hormones. That's why I am asking about the DHEA - if it was very low, it's another sign your adrenals are not making the right amount of hormone.

Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    What was the DHEAs before you started supplementing (and remind me of your age)? And what time was the cortisol test (apologies if you had said this elsewhere, there have been a fair few posts about adrenal and/or thyroid issues lately, and I can't keep all the details in my head).

I'm just reacting to the fact that it seems you have been thinking your symptoms were related to adrenals. Now it sounds like you may be having a problem related to aldosterone regulating your fluids, and that is also an adrenal problem. Sometimes people respond decently to synacthen, because that is such an incredibly strong stimulus to the adrenals, but are still not making the optimal amount of hormones. That's why I am asking about the DHEA - if it was very low, it's another sign your adrenals are not making the right amount of hormone.
    DHEA-S was around 170 (164.3-530.5). Just in range, barely. Also I'm 22..
    Cortisol was taken at 8am

ironbeck is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    It could be caused by any prescribed medications? Or you could be having mild anxiety while working out?

Quote Originally Posted by ironbeck View Post
    It could be caused by any prescribed medications? Or you could be having mild anxiety while working out?
    I definitely have anxiety, but I feel good if that makes sense. It's like my body is anxious and I can feel it, but my mind feels great and confident. No other medications being taken..
    I've taken this into consideration as the obvious cause of my "dehydration issues". But my hormones all seem in check so not sure what could be casuing this.

CBC With Differential/Platelet
    WBC 4.8 3.4-10.8 x10E3/uL SO
    RBC 5.12 4.14-5.80 x10E6/uL SO
    Hemoglobin 15.7 12.6-17.7 g/dL SO
    Hematocrit 46.6 37.5-51.0 % SO
    MCV 91 79-97 fL SO
    MCH 30.7 26.6-33.0 pg SO
    MCHC 33.7 31.5-35.7 g/dL SO
    RDW 13.0 12.3-15.4 % SO
    Platelets 259 155-379 x10E3/uL SO
    Neutrophils 58 40-74 % SO
    Lymphs 34 14-46 % SO
    Monocytes 6 4-12 % SO
    Eos 2 0-5 % SO
    Basos 0 0-3 % SO
    Neutrophils (Absolute) 2.8 1.4-7.0 x10E3/uL SO
    Lymphs (Absolute) 1.7 0.7-3.1 x10E3/uL SO
    Monocytes(Absolute) 0.3 0.1-0.9 x10E3/uL SO
    Eos (Absolute) 0.1 0.0-0.4 x10E3/uL SO
    Baso (Absolute) 0.0 0.0-0.2 x10E3/uL SO
    Immature Granulocytes 0 0-2 % SO
    Immature Grans (Abs) 0.0 0.0-0.1 x10E3/uL SO

Comp. Metabolic Panel (14)
    Glucose, Serum 80 65-99 mg/dL SO
    BUN 13 6-20 mg/dL SO
    Creatinine, Serum 0.95 0.76-1.27 mg/dL SO
    eGFR If NonAfricn Am 113 >59 mL/min/1.73 SO
    eGFR If Africn Am 131 >59 mL/min/1.73 SO
    BUN/Creatinine Ratio 14 8-19 SO
    Sodium, Serum 138 134-144 mmol/L SO
    Potassium, Serum 4.2 3.5-5.2 mmol/L SO
    Chloride, Serum 99 97-108 mmol/L SO
    Carbon Dioxide, Total 24 19-28 mmol/L SO
    Calcium, Serum 9.7 8.7-10.2 mg/dL SO
    Protein, Total, Serum 6.6 6.0-8.5 g/dL SO
    Albumin, Serum 4.4 3.5-5.5 g/dL SO
    Globulin, Total 2.2 1.5-4.5 g/dL SO
    A/G Ratio 2.0 1.1-2.5 SO
    Bilirubin, Total 0.8 0.0-1.2 mg/dL SO
    Alkaline Phosphatase, S 57 39-117 IU/L SO
    AST (SGOT) 21 0-40 IU/L SO
    ALT (SGPT) 23 0-44 IU/L SO

Urinalysis, Routine
    Specific Gravity 1.007 1.005-1.030 SO
    pH 6.5 5.0-7.5 SO
    Urine-Color Yellow Yellow SO
    Appearance Clear Clear SO
    WBC Esterase Negative Negative SO
    Protein Negative Negative/Trace SO
    Glucose Negative Negative SO
    Ketones Negative Negative SO
    1 of 3
    Occult Blood Negative Negative SO
    Bilirubin Negative Negative SO
    Urobilinogen,Semi-Qn 0.2 0.0-1.9 mg/dL SO
    Nitrite, Urine Negative Negative SO
    Microscopic Examination Comment SO
    Microscopic follows if indicated.

Lipid Panel
    Cholesterol, Total 119 100-189 mg/dL SO
    Triglycerides 63 0-114 mg/dL SO
    HDL Cholesterol 41 >39 mg/dL SO
    According to ATP-III Guidelines, HDL-C >59 mg/dL is considered a
    negative risk factor for CHD.
    VLDL Cholesterol Cal 13 5-40 mg/dL SO
    LDL Cholesterol Calc 65 0-119 mg/dL SO

Iron and TIBC
    Iron Bind.Cap.(TIBC) 341 250-450 ug/dL SO
    UIBC 109 LOW 150-375 ug/dL SO
    Iron, Serum 232 HIGH 40-155 ug/dL SO
    Iron Saturation 68 HIGH 15-55 % SO

Vitamin B12 and Folate
    Vitamin B12 936 211-946 pg/mL SO
    Folate (Folic Acid), Serum 18.5 >3.0 ng/mL SO
    A serum folate concentration of less than 3.1 ng/mL is
    considered to represent clinical deficiency.

Testosterone,Free and Total
    Testosterone , Serum 772 348-1197 ng/dL SO
    Free Testosterone(Direct) 15.6 9.3-26.5 pg/mL BN

Hemoglobin A1c
    Hemoglobin A1c 5.0 4.8-5.6 % SO
    Increased risk for diabetes: 5.7 - 6.4
    Diabetes: >6.4
    Glycemic control for adults with diabetes: <7.0

TSH
    TSH 2.400 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL SO
    Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S
    T4,Free(Direct) 1.44 0.82-1.77 ng/dL SO
    Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum
    Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum 3.5 2.0-4.4 pg/mL SO

DHEA-Sulfate
    DHEA-Sulfate 405.4 164.3-530.5 ug/dL SO

Luteinizing Hormone(LH), S
    LH <0.2 LOW 1.7-8.6 mIU/mL SO

FSH, Serum
    FSH <0.2 LOW 1.5-12.4 mIU/mL SO

Prolactin
    Prolactin 11.4 4.0-15.2 ng/mL SO

Prostate-Specific Ag, Serum
    Prostate Specific Ag, Serum 0.3 0.0-4.0 ng/mL SO

C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac
    C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac 0.71 0.00-3.00 mg/L SO
    Relative Risk for Future Cardiovascular Event
    Low <1.00
    Average 1.00 - 3.00
    High >3.00

Estradiol, Sensitive
    Estradiol, Sensitive 19 3-70 pg/mL BN

GGT
    GGT 11 0-65 IU/L SO

Magnesium, Serum
    Magnesium, Serum 1.8 1.6-2.6 mg/dL SO

Insulin
    Insulin 4.0 2.6-24.9 uIU/mL SO

Ferritin, Serum
    Ferritin, Serum 64 30-400 ng/mL SO

Sex Horm Binding Glob, Serum
    Sex Horm Binding Glob, Serum 34.5 16.5-55.9 nmol/L SO

Cortisol - AM
    Cortisol - AM 18.1 6.2-19.4 ug/dL SO

ACTH, Plasma
    ACTH, Plasma 39.9 7.2-63.3 pg/mL SO

Reverse T3, Serum
    Reverse T3, Serum 18.5 9.2-24.1 ng/dL
    Last edited by jomamma007; 12-14-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Thread Information