thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member

Testosterone and dry eyes

I've been reading recently that someone has found a correlation between at least some cases of dry eyes and low testosterone levels . Based on this there are now ophthalmic creams containing testosterone to treat dry eyes, but I am wondering about systemic testosterone and the effect on dry eyes.

Has anyone here used TRT and noticed that their previously dry eyes improved?

FRDave is offline Senior Member
    Ever since I started TRT my right eye twitches (every day all day for the past 4+ months). I know twitching can be caused by dry eyes, but that would mean adding testosterone dried out my eyes, not having low testosterone ... Then again, I think my issue is from another cause, not dry eyes!

testytim is offline Associate Member
    Yes i had dry eyes big time... that was the first thing i noticed when my t levels went up the dry eyes stopped...

ZenFitness is offline Associate Member
    Eye twitching can be a sign of fatigue (i.e. going two weeks with less than 5 - 6 hours of sleep a night, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by FRDave View Post
    Ever since I started TRT my right eye twitches (every day all day for the past 4+ months). I know twitching can be caused by dry eyes, but that would mean adding testosterone dried out my eyes, not having low testosterone... Then again, I think my issue is from another cause, not dry eyes!
    Dave, do you have any signs of your eyes being dry except the (possibly) twitching? Are they uncomfortable or itchy or stinging? Any excessive watering or tearing (sounds like the opposite of dry eyes, but this is a symptom)?

Quote Originally Posted by testytim View Post
    Yes i had dry eyes big time... that was the first thing i noticed when my t levels went up the dry eyes stopped...
    Thanks for letting me know, Tim. I appreciate it.

schon is offline New Member
    Did the study correlating low test to dry eyes have data on estrogen levels? I would imagine that, in men, low test would also be associated with low estrogen, which IMO would sound like a bigger culprit for dryness. I have absolutely no data to back that up however, and I doubt the same hormonal situation would apply for women, so I'm pretty much babbling at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites

Dave, do you have any signs of your eyes being dry except the (possibly) twitching? Are they uncomfortable or itchy or stinging? Any excessive watering or tearing (sounds like the opposite of dry eyes, but this is a symptom)?
    None at all. Other than the twitching which started about two weeks into my protocol, I have no other symptoms of dry eyes.

I am just trying to figure out this twitching and I know one symptom was dry eyes, but I'm almost positive that is not the culprit since I have no other symptoms of dry eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenFitness
    Eye twitching can be a sign of fatigue (i.e. going two weeks with less than 5 - 6 hours of sleep a night, etc.)
    I get average of 7-8hrs per night. This twitching has me stumped, trust me lol.

Caser1 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by testytim View Post
    Hey Testytim,
    Regarding your dry eyes, I also have dry eyes (last 5 months). I have never had my T tested before in the past - however a few weeks ago I did and it came back at 337 (332-896). My symptoms have basically been text book (low energy, low libido, etc.) in addition to having dry eye. My doc started me yesterday on a 200 mg injection hoping that it helps with the dry eye.

I have not seen many other mentions of dry eye in Men with low T. You stated that you had dry eyes, and when your t level went up they stopped. How long did it take for your eyes to bounce back? Were you T levels similar to my numbers (before treating)?

Any thoughts you have on it would be helpful.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thisAngelBites View Post
    I've been reading recently that someone has found a correlation between at least some cases of dry eyes and low testosterone levels . Based on this there are now ophthalmic creams containing testosterone to treat dry eyes, but I am wondering about systemic testosterone and the effect on dry eyes.

Has anyone here used TRT and noticed that their previously dry eyes improved?
    I ride Harleys, so dry eye is part of the business I suppose. and no, there hasn't been any changes.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    My god...look who crawled out from under her rock. I miss your posts/knowledge. I read a lot of posts, but my stupidity doesn't allow me to give advice. I think to myself, "If Angel was here, she'd be able to help the this person". So, don't be a stranger

Roman, since then I've had some TRT and it has not materially impacted my eyes (I wear contacts most of the time, and that is just begging for dry eyes as you get older), even though I wish it would have. Oh well.

Rusty, great to see you, and we know you are not even in the same universe as stupid. I've had some personal stuff going on and haven't had the time to spend online as I normally do. AND that is coinciding with me getting more done in my life instead of being online all the time. So I'm reluctant to get re-addicted!

Thread Information