Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Sox

Thread: How much will Hematocrit be reduced after blood donation?

jump100 is offline Junior Member

How much will Hematocrit be reduced after blood donation?

I had to donate blood today because my hematocrit was 51.9%. I donated the standard amount at the red cross. The doctor on call told me that it would come down from 51.9% to about 45%. I did not believe her because most posts I have read in this forum claim that you can only lower your hematocrit a couple of points after donation. Any idea anyone?

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My experience has been a lowering of 2 to 3 points, at best.
    Beethoven likes this.

Spartans09 is offline Member
    I have watched this very closely in the past and sometimes it's a couple of points and surprisingly it can be as much as 5-7 points. You really need to have blood tests. There is no way to go on feeling, I thought I could and I was always wrong when blood tests came back. 45 is where you want to be.

Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Sox View Post
    My experience has been a lowering of 2 to 3 points, at best.
    2 points per donation for me.

jump100 is offline Junior Member
    I have something going against me, high altitude. I am in one of the highest cities in Latin America (about 8 thousand feet above sea level). From what I understand, this can increase your hematocrit by about 20%. Add to that, TRT, and you are looking at a very difficult treatment management. I took three shots of Nebido in 5 weeks and my hematocrit went up from 50% to 52%, but that was a lot or testosterone . THis has been the only side effect.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by jump100 View Post
    I have something going against me, high altitude. I am in one of the highest cities in Latin America (about 8 thousand feet above sea level). From what I understand, this can increase your hematocrit by about 20%. Add to that, TRT, and you are looking at a very difficult treatment management. I took three shots of Nebido in 5 weeks and my hematocrit went up from 50% to 52%, but that was a lot or testosterone. THis has been the only side effect.
    Probably not, as that would kill nearly everyone living at altitude. From what I've read (and what I'd imagine physiological possible), it is more an average of 5% higher, maybe 10% in more extreme cases.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I am at 49.3 and donating this weekend. i will update after labs.

Thread Information