Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By old cajun

Thread: Gave blood, Feel great

old cajun is offline Junior Member

Gave blood, Feel great

Its hard to believe the difference I feel since I gave blood. Thanks, I feel great.
    Chauffeur likes this.

Lifted1 is offline Member
    glad to hear! how high was your crit and what were your symptoms?

My crit was54.7 --38.5 to 54. When I gave blood the nurse told me my iron was really high. Symptoms were tiredness, just not feeling good. Since I gave blood my energy levels rose. My cholesterol was 99. Its one year Ihave been on TRT.

testytim is offline Associate Member
    Hate to brake it to you IMO you need two more draws.Normal in a healthy male is somewhere 44.to46%...3% a draw...

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by testytim
    Hate to brake it to you IMO you need two more draws.Normal in a healthy male is somewhere 44.to46%...3% a draw...
    that's not always the case because mine went from 51 to 45 on my last draw which I do myself. I think it differs in different individuals.

I know I need more draws from what the veterans say on here. Im trying to find another bloodbank in my area. If I have to wait two months will I be back at square one?

Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985 View Post
    that's not always the case because mine went from 51 to 45 on my last draw which I do myself. I think it differs in different individuals.
    Wow I have never heard of that. When I've had my blood draws, the phlebotomist have told me that usually it only drops 1 to 2 points.

Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old cajun View Post
    I know I need more draws from what the veterans say on here. Im trying to find another bloodbank in my area. If I have to wait two months will I be back at square one?
    Get your Dr to give you a theraputic blood draw script for multiple draws in a month and you'll be gtg. The down side is though you'll need a script from there on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven
    Wow I have never heard of that. When I've had my blood draws, the phlebotomist have told me that usually it only drops 1 to 2 points.
    I was surprised too. I have checked it when I didn't even give blood and had lower readings after a higher reading. IMO there are a lot factors when it comes to hemacrit. Idk what they are, lol. Maybe hydration?

The 1-2 points is your hemoglobin. Most males run in the 14-15 range. You multiply that number x3 and thats your hematocrit. Not perfect but close. This is were i went wrong on this .I have been on TRT for over 6 years.My blood got so thick in the 60% and over range.The way i have been told to keep my numbers in the 45% range then donate at the 48-50% mark. As you get older its best to keep your blood to the thin side..Thats what all the DRs have told me..

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by testytim View Post
    The 1-2 points is your hemoglobin. Most males run in the 14-15 range. You multiply that number x3 and thats your hematocrit. Not perfect but close. This is were i went wrong on this .I have been on TRT for over 6 years.My blood got so thick in the 60% and over range.The way i have been told to keep my numbers in the 45% range then donate at the 48-50% mark. As you get older its best to keep your blood to the thin side..Thats what all the DRs have told me..
    Correct. And the amount that your numbers decrease will depend on your total blood volume, which is largely dictated by your weight.
    Medscape: Medscape Access
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 08-31-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Will donating every two months get me to where im suppose to be? Or do I need to do it more often?

Right now IMO you need at least two more draws.Get your numbers back to were you started..For me at my age 59 i will micro manage my protocol. I will buy a hemoglobin machine they are cheap under 2 hundred.. That way i can keep myself in check no excuses. This i believe is the driving force behind strokes and heart attacks.. My symptoms of high RBC are extreme joint and muscle pain general fatigue and high B/P, always tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    If you weigh 180 and have a normal amount of blood (around 6 L), each pint donated should drop your hematocrit by around 4%.

That sounds about right .For me its only 3% i weight 210-215 6"0. In two months my numbers go up on average 3%. And i only do 30mgs e3d

Do you get anywhere giving every two months. Or you are back at square one. From what Im getting its the high RBC and iron that's making me feel like sh#t. Would I have to give more often. Thanks

No i feel i just go back and forth.As we speak i trying to get that changed. I feel you need to be down to 45% then go as high as 50% Seem that everyone goes to the 50%-55% side..That my be ok at 40 but at 60 do not think its so good Imo..

OK here is the facts just got back from hospital to have my hemoglobin checked.I had my phiebo on the 26 of last month my hemo was 18.1 today it was 16.9.. hope this helps everyone

MY STATS 6'0 215 59 years old

bigt405 is offline Junior Member
    I have giving almost every thirty days since my crit got up to 56......it is ever so slowly going down but it is better than having to come off trt. I think every two months might not be enough,but everyone is different.

Thanks, I will try to find another place to give blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte
    If you weigh 180 and have a normal amount of blood (around 6 L), each pint donated should drop your hematocrit by around 4%.
    Maybe I took out to much because I'm up to 264( 18% bf). I took out 500 cc.

Bigt405,When you give blood do you feel better. Like great

Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985 View Post
    Maybe I took out to much because I'm up to 264( 18% bf). I took out 500 cc.
    How do you figure?
    A pint is 473 ml.
    And you're huge.

Thread Information