Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active

Thread: Stupid IM needle queestion

jasondd1 is offline Member

Stupid IM needle queestion

So drawing 60 mg test cyp in a 25 gauge 1 inch needle you obviously fill it to .3 ml but what about the oil in the needle above the marks? If I pull all the oil out of the needle and measure it's more like 4 ml. So am I really taking 60 mg or 80 mg?

Quote Originally Posted by jasondd1
    So drawing 60 mg test cyp in a 25 gauge 1 inch needle you obviously fill it to .3 ml but what about the oil in the needle above the marks? If I pull all the oil out of the needle and measure it's more like 4 ml. So am I really taking 60 mg or 80 mg?
    If you draw in an air bubble big enough to clear the syringe when you inject then you are in fact getting 80mg or .4ml. If not, then the oil in the needle hub and needle is "wasted" and you will receive 60mg or .3ml.

I have found that my needle and hub hold a little over .05ml. Therefore, when I want to inject .25ml, I fill the needle to .2ml. I then pull the needle out of the vial and draw in some air. This clears out the needle and hub and I now have .25ml in the syringe. I jet all of it and a little bit of air. (The little bit of air won't kill you.)

Baxter35 is offline Member
    You're really taking 60mg. The rest stays in the tip of the syringe and you never really get it all out. There's really no way around wasting a little every time you pin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    If you draw in an air bubble big enough to clear the syringe when you inject then you are in fact getting 80mg or .4ml. If not, then the oil in the needle hub and needle is "wasted" and you will receive 60mg or .3ml.

I have found that my needle and hub hold a little over .05ml. Therefore, when I want to inject .25ml, I fill the needle to .2ml. I then pull the needle out of the vial and draw in some air. This clears out the needle and hub and I now have .25ml in the syringe. I jet all of it and a little bit of air. (The little bit of air won't kill you.)
    How do you keep the air bubble from clearing the syringe first and still leaving a little test in the pin? I get the theory as long as the air is the last to leave. In your experience, does the air always stay as the last to leave?

Baxter do you pull out with one needle tip and inject with another?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter35
    How do you keep the air bubble from clearing the syringe first and still leaving a little test in the pin? I get the theory as long as the air is the last to leave. In your experience, does the air always stay as the last to leave?
    I pin in my quads and the needle is pointing down thus the air rises to the top. Thus the air empties last.
    This only works where you can point the needle down.

Chauffeur is offline Associate Member
    I pin in my quads and the needle is pointing down thus the air rises to the top. Thus the air empties last.

This.

Or if I'm injecting my delt I just lean to the side so the needle is still pointing down.

Or you can always just switch to one-piece insulin needles where there is virtually zero loss since there is no needle hub in which the oil can become trapped.

Got it. Makes sense, but figured id ask. Thanks. Personally I'm just not concerned with the bit that's wasted, but nothing wrong with conserving either.

Quote Originally Posted by jasondd1 View Post
    Baxter do you pull out with one needle tip and inject with another?
    No, I've always drawn and pinned with same pin.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    No, I've always drawn and pinned with same pin.
    you really should switch them as they will dull during the draw

I've tried it both ways and honestly can't tell any difference. I know a lot of guys switch pins, and a lot don't. Personal preference more than anything else.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    I've tried it both ways and honestly can't tell any difference. I know a lot of guys switch pins, and a lot don't. Personal preference more than anything else.
    they are so in expensive I can't imagine why you wouldn't. I also use a bigger pin to draw with
    lovbyts likes this.

Its not cost. I've got boxes of pins stockpiled, lol. Like I said, I can't tell any difference so it seems like an unnecessary step. But that's just my experience, I'm not knocking anyone who prefers switching pins.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Ive never been concerned about the little bit left in the pin. If you think about it you will realize it only adds up to about 1 drop.

Truejew15 is offline New Member
    How many times can you use the same needle

Quote Originally Posted by Truejew15
    Once.

Quote Originally Posted by Truejew15 View Post
    I hope that's a joke, but I'm going to answer anyway. Never reuse a needle. We're talking about using a fresh needle to draw the test out of the vial then immediately injecting with that same needle. Once the needle has entered your body, its garbage 100%.

-Horus- is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondd1 View Post
    its calculated man, just follow the markings, and understand you also lose a drop every pin you take so a good rule of thumb is look at every 10ml bottle you got as 9ml, to be safe.

why the heck are you taking such a low dose? even for hrt that seems way to low IMO. how often are you pinning? and why?

-Horus- is offline Junior Member
    ... double..

3 marks equals 60 mg. When i fill with 18 gauge needle I pull out the oil from the needle when i reach the 3rd mark. Now it equals four marks of test once the oil is out of the 18 gauge needle. So when i replace the tip to 25 gauge am I really injecting 80 mg or 60 mg? There doesn't appear to be any test left in the 25 gauge needle when I'm done at least no where near as much as i pull our of the 18 guage first so it seems to me i'm really injecting 80 mg ?

It' doesn't really matter as Ive always done it this way and I'm dialed in Ive just been curious.

I'm pinning twice a week and that seem to be the average dose and puts me over 1000 for total and like 26 free.

Quote Originally Posted by -Horus- View Post
    its calculated man, just follow the markings, and understand you also lose a drop every pin you take so a good rule of thumb is look at every 10ml bottle you got as 9ml, to be safe.

why the heck are you taking such a low dose? even for hrt that seems way to low IMO. how often are you pinning? and why?

Its common to split doses, and 60mg twice a week is a very common dose range for trt. That's where I'm at as well.

Thread Information