Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bonaparte

Thread: donating blood confusion. kelkel bonparte austinte .

Roger11 is offline Member

donating blood confusion. kelkel bonparte austinte .

OK so I know its a must to lower hemacrit.

But browsing an Aussie forum they say they will not donate blood as there steroid users but instead self let.

How come especially on this forum no one questions the ethics of donating blood while using drugs(steroids )??

People just say donate . but doesn't the person who receives the transfusion receive blood with steroids in it or what? Can someone explain why you technically shoulsnt donate while using steroids?

Cheers guys.

bigdil511 is offline Associate Member
    That's a good question Roger I've actually had the same thought curious to see what they say.

jasondd1 is offline Member
    I don't think there is much active steroids in a 700 ml of blood. I could be wrong.

Also reading the red cross's guidelines I don't think a trt patient on doctor prescribed test is barred from giving blood. The question asks if i remember if you've taken any injections not prescribed by your doc. When my hemo is above 18 they ask if im on trt and i say no. i get the feeling that if i said yes they wouldn't care but I'm not sure. I think they are more worried about sharing dirty needles or something then the actual test.

J DIESEL3 is offline Associate Member
    Both the Red Cross and the central blood bank I go to are fine with doctor prescribed trt.

Now if someone is on a huge cycle of say tren or anadrol you may want to rethink donating. I'm sure one of the vets know about if this matters or not.

But I know what you are saying being that a weak and sick person could be on the other end.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    If someone is in bad enough shape to require a transfusion, getting an extra dose of steroid hormones should be the least of their worries.
    Just don't share/reuse needles or show up sick.

PS: I sometimes worry about those on a large dose of 19-nors donating. This is why I also encourage double RBC donations, so that the plasma portion that contains steroids is returned to the donor.
    NACH3 likes this.

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    If someone is in bad enough shape to require a transfusion, getting an extra dose of steroid hormones should be the least of their worries.
    Just don't share/reuse needles or show up sick.

PS: I sometimes worry about those on a large dose of 19-nors donating. This is why I also encourage double RBC donations, so that the plasma portion that contains steroids is returned to the donor.
    Ok my question don't they test the blood before the transfusion. But I guess they wouldn't be testing for steroids .

Was under the impression they just dump the unusable blood.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondd1 View Post
    I don't think there is much active steroids in a 700 ml of blood. I could be wrong.

Also reading the red cross's guidelines I don't think a trt patient on doctor prescribed test is barred from giving blood. The question asks if i remember if you've taken any injections not prescribed by your doc. When my hemo is above 18 they ask if im on trt and i say no. i get the feeling that if i said yes they wouldn't care but I'm not sure. I think they are more worried about sharing dirty needles or something then the actual test.
    X2. Red Cross doesnt care about supervised TRT. My Doc has actually corresponded with Red Cross mgmt on this subject and their position was actually positive towards the increase of TRT patients having to donate on a regular basis. The Red Cross questionnaire specifically refers to/asks about injecting/taking steroids (not prescribed) by a Doctor...

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfla80 View Post
    Ok my question don't they test the blood before the transfusion. But I guess they wouldn't be testing for steroids .

Was under the impression they just dump the unusable blood.
    Check out my amazing Google skills: Blood donor screening: Laboratory testing

"performing infectious disease screening for the following agents: HIV-1, HIV-2, human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV)-I, HTLV-II, hepatitis C virus, hepatitis B virus, West Nile virus (WNV), T. pallidum (syphilis), and T. Cruzi (Chagas disease, only required to be performed on the first donation by a particular donor)."
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 05-14-2015 at 03:55 PM.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Check out my amazing Google skills: Blood donor screening: Laboratory testing
    LOL...

I've had problems in the states - requiring a prescription from my GP(or a letter to take w/me regarding its ok to use a different location)... So this is why I'm learning to self let instead of going through this everytime - but I do have Drs orders)... Also I've run into if you have any type of irritated skin(ie; shaving etc - the iodine they say will irritate the skin and could have a possible reaction) this is the reasons I was turned away even though I met all other criteria(Red Cross) Just now have to try w/the script!

Thread Information