Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    ks1234 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    103

    Why is trt for life but steroids arent?

    I've been thinking about this? Trt is taken in much lower doses than steroids (I know not all steroids are testosterone but you get the point). So why can someone cycle steroid 's but not trt. idk. It was just a thought

  2. #2
    aussie made's Avatar
    aussie made is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    272
    Trt is replacing the testosterone that you would normally have. To keep levels in the normal range. Cycling steroids is doses that the body could never produce. That is like 10 times natural production. Our body's cannot handle them doses. There not made for that permanently. .

  3. #3
    booku is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    218
    whether you take 100 mg a week or 1000 mg a week a couple times a year, the same risks apply to everyone, albeit its a much smaller risk at 100 mg versus 1000 mg
    Last edited by booku; 05-28-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: thank you for editing OP

  4. #4
    hawk14dl's Avatar
    hawk14dl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,592
    Umm.. trt is taken when your body doesn't produce enough natural test. Once you've reached that point, your body will never make enough, ever again. That's one reason it's for life.

    Another reason is, the longer youre on exogenous test, the less likely your body will recover.

    I'm not sure what booku is talking about up there. . Huge difference between trt and cycling

  5. #5
    booku is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk14dl View Post
    Umm.. trt is taken when your body doesn't produce enough natural test. Once you've reached that point, your body will never make enough, ever again. That's one reason it's for life.

    very true, all i meant was the shutdown risk applies the same to everyone who injects testosterone, just at different degrees of risk but its the same risk

    Another reason is, the longer youre on exogenous test, the less likely your body will recover. correct, but not definitive

    I'm not sure what booku is talking about up there. . Huge difference between trt and cycling
    yes, if you assume that someone at 250 ng/dl cant reasonably live a full life, which they can, therfore same risk applies, just the odds change

  6. #6
    ks1234 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by booku View Post
    yes, if you assume that someone at 250 ng/dl cant reasonably live a full life, which they can, therfore same risk applies, just the odds change
    The reason I ask the question is because pretty much everything I've read says once you start trt you can never stop. It's even been said on this board many times by the experts on here. They say exhaust all options before starting because it's a for life decision. That's why I was wondering the differences

  7. #7
    marcus300's Avatar
    marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    40,922
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1234 View Post
    The reason I ask the question is because pretty much everything I've read says once you start trt you can never stop. It's even been said on this board many times by the experts on here. They say exhaust all options before starting because it's a for life decision. That's why I was wondering the differences
    Trt is to replace your natural testosterone because your not producing its naturally anymore. Its testosterone replacement therapy which would be for life because you don't produce testosterone anymore. You wouldn't take it if you produce it naturally.

  8. #8
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    29,673
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1234 View Post
    The reason I ask the question is because pretty much everything I've read says once you start trt you can never stop.
    If your natural testosterone production is sub-optimal, why would you ever choose to come off to only return to those same (or worse) levels?
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  9. #9
    booku is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    If your natural testosterone production is sub-optimal, why would you ever choose to come off to only return to those same (or worse) levels?

    Exactly, yes you CAN come off and restart and be perfectly fine (as in you'll live) but why would you ever do that if you are legit hypogonadal.

  10. #10
    ks1234 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by booku View Post
    Exactly, yes you CAN come off and restart and be perfectly fine (as in you'll live) but why would you ever do that if you are legit hypogonadal.
    That's what I was wondering about. I was wondering this because I've gone for months feeling like crap and it takes forever to get appts. With specialists but there's a place called the low t center that can start me on trt right now. So I was basically wondering if I could use trt as a band aid for now until I get everything cheked out and figure out what is causing my low test. That's why I was wondering because everyone says figure out what's wrong with you before you start trt bc it's for life But I knew you could cycle steroids so I was wondering what the difference was. Anyway, question answered, ty

  11. #11
    Beethoven's Avatar
    Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Fla
    Posts
    1,472
    Cycling is for a desired athletic effect and is done at much higher doses and with a mixture of different drugs together for a desired physical/athletic effect.

    TRT is simply replacing your body's testosterone levels which it can no longer produce. And although it may help with physical/athletic effects, at TRT level it would be what you would have naturally produced on your own.
    Last edited by Beethoven; 05-29-2015 at 07:47 PM.

  12. #12
    booku is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1234 View Post
    That's what I was wondering about. I was wondering this because I've gone for months feeling like crap and it takes forever to get appts. With specialists but there's a place called the low t center that can start me on trt right now. So I was basically wondering if I could use trt as a band aid for now until I get everything cheked out and figure out what is causing my low test. That's why I was wondering because everyone says figure out what's wrong with you before you start trt bc it's for life But I knew you could cycle steroids so I was wondering what the difference was. Anyway, question answered, ty
    I feel your pain and I have been there as a 22 yr old w/ a T level of 70 only marginally above a high functioning female. You say you need to figure out what is wrong with you, I mean you can take the first step, all you need to do is go get full blood work (lh, fsh, thyroid panel, full blood count, cortisol, prolactin, Total T, free T, etc) and if hormonal blood work is abnormal, you might need say an MRI of the pituitary gland, and an ultrasound of your testicles. Once everything checks out, then you could start TRT, someone I know has had the same problem, can only get appts like 2 months away, my skeptical side wants to say they give you that info to discourage people with low T from coming to their office, most endos dont like treating low T and are pretty much diabetes doctors, so thats why we always say try and find a doc that knows whats up. Low T and mens health is in a sad, archaic state of affairs, but you can do it if you demand what you want and just always keep moving forward and focusing on what you do want, and never getting reactive or angry with these people. But either way you go, you can definitely restart just fine if you started TRT and ran that for say 2-3 months. and post blood work on here, me and some other vets can help you out, good luck

  13. #13
    Bonaparte's Avatar
    Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,506
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1234 View Post
    That's what I was wondering about. I was wondering this because I've gone for months feeling like crap and it takes forever to get appts. With specialists but there's a place called the low t center that can start me on trt right now. So I was basically wondering if I could use trt as a band aid for now until I get everything cheked out and figure out what is causing my low test. That's why I was wondering because everyone says figure out what's wrong with you before you start trt bc it's for life But I knew you could cycle steroids so I was wondering what the difference was. Anyway, question answered, ty
    If you start using exogenous test, you won't be able to troubleshoot your original issue. And your T levels will only be worse than before if you come off.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •