• 1 Post By marcus300
  • 4 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By Youthful55guy
  • 2 Post By tarmyg
  • 1 Post By Youthful55guy

Thread: One needle to draw, another needle to inject technique

High Desert Bill is offline New Member

One needle to draw, another needle to inject technique

I haven't seen this talked about on here, but a cool trick that my doctor showed me was to use an 18 gauge needle to draw from the bottle, then change needles to a 22 gauge to do the actual injection. The reason being, when you stick a needle into that bottle, it dulls it a little bit, and if you use it to inject, it will hurt more. Using a fresh needle to inject goes in like butter, with no pain. Makes me want to go yell at every nurse that stuck me with a dull needle . Just thought I'd throw that out there, in case anybody can benefit from it.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Yes, the larger needle draws quicker too. I dont bother swapping though.
    High Desert Bill likes this.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Bill View Post
    I haven't seen this talked about on here, but a cool trick that my doctor showed me was to use an 18 gauge needle to draw from the bottle, then change needles to a 22 gauge to do the actual injection. The reason being, when you stick a needle into that bottle, it dulls it a little bit, and if you use it to inject, it will hurt more. Using a fresh needle to inject goes in like butter, with no pain. Makes me want to go yell at every nurse that stuck me with a dull needle . Just thought I'd throw that out there, in case anybody can benefit from it.
    Yes that's correct, always stay sharp and use a new needle for pinning.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You might want to go smaller for the injection to minimize the scar tissue. I draw with a 23 and inject with a 25.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Youthful55guy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Bill View Post
    Personally, I think it's a bunch of BS. I've seen the microscope photos of the dull needles floating around the internet, but they are always conveniently devoid of any details of how many times the needle was pushed through the bung, or what time of bung material was in use. I have been using a sing piece 28G insulin syringe for nearly 6 years and there is nothing resembling scar tissue in my Quads. The method is simple and painless. I'd also propose that the risk of needle contamination is much, much greater with the needle swapping technique.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Youthful55guy View Post
    I have been using a sing piece 28G insulin syringe for nearly 6 years
    Could you clarify this because I am not understanding. Have you been using the exact same needle for 6-years?

High Desert Bill is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Youthful55guy View Post
    Personally, I think it's a bunch of BS. I've seen the microscope photos of the dull needles floating around the internet, but they are always conveniently devoid of any details of how many times the needle was pushed through the bung, or what time of bung material was in use. I have been using a sing piece 28G insulin syringe for nearly 6 years and there is nothing resembling scar tissue in my Quads. The method is simple and painless. I'd also propose that the risk of needle contamination is much, much greater with the needle swapping technique.
    You may be right. I saw those photos, as well. The only testimony I can give is that in 10 months of giving myself injections, I've yet to have one hurt...while in the past, it always seemed like a crapshoot when the nurse would stick me...sometimes, in like butter, other times, it felt like a blunt nail.

I've got a microscope here...I'll try using a smaller needle on an empty vial, then see what it looks like, and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Could you clarify this because I am not understanding. Have you been using the exact same needle for 6-years?
    They are disposable syringes. One use only.
    tarmyg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    They are disposable syringes. One use only.

jwh7699 is offline Member
    I use the same size needle, drawing and injecting, 28G 1/2in to inject SubQ in my stomach.

I've never had any pain when the needle goes in, only sometimes I have to push a little harder or find a less tough area to stick.

Nixter is offline Associate Member
    I like to preload a few weeks of syringes. This also allows you to use a single needle to fill all the syringes and reduce waste.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thread Information