Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog

Thread: Help my dad out here

GymHero is offline Senior Member

Help my dad out here

I've been trying to get him on TRT for awhile. My dad just turned 70 yo and is in great health. He recently had bloodwork done and went back today for the results and to go over it with the doctor. I told him to call me but he didn't until he was leaving and told me what his doctor put him on. She is starting him on " 75mgs " Test E, 1 shot a month... She wants him to take one shot a month of 75mgs for 4 months and then go back and go over how he feels. I had him go back in and he's currently waiting for her to come back out so I can speak to her on the phone about this protocol. I see this issue over and over, so many doctors are not qualified to be prescribing TRT. They know nothing about it and either give you absurd amounts weekly (200mg+) or in my dads case barely any and have you doing 1 shot a month. I'll be talking to her shortly and will update how the phone conversation goes. I wanted to make this thread for my dad so he can read everyone's thoughts on this and hear it not just from me but the whole community here on why 75mgs once a month is a terrible choice. Thank you

SampsonandDelilah is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It comes to the half life of a testosterone cypionate shots, it’s not designed to be administered monthly. Weekly at best, otherwise he susceptible to peaks and valleys.

Bloodwork monitoring for at least 3 months is the only way to tell. Steady state blood work is evidence of that monthly administration in such low doses is not feasible. Symptoms are also such an important component as well. How does he feel?!

Quote Originally Posted by GymHero View Post
    I've been trying to get him on TRT for awhile. My dad just turned 70 yo and is in great health. He recently had bloodwork done and went back today for the results and to go over it with the doctor. I told him to call me but he didn't until he was leaving and told me what his doctor put him on. She is starting him on " 75mgs " Test E, 1 shot a month... She wants him to take one shot a month of 75mgs for 4 months and then go back and go over how he feels. I had him go back in and he's currently waiting for her to come back out so I can speak to her on the phone about this protocol. I see this issue over and over, so many doctors are not qualified to be prescribing TRT. They know nothing about it and either give you absurd amounts weekly (200mg+) or in my dads case barely any and have you doing 1 shot a month. I'll be talking to her shortly and will update how the phone conversation goes. I wanted to make this thread for my dad so he can read everyone's thoughts on this and hear it not just from me but the whole community here on why 75mgs once a month is a terrible choice. Thank you

Last edited by GymHero; 08-12-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SampsonandDelilah View Post
    It comes to the half life of a testosterone cypionate shots, it’s not designed to be administered monthly. Weekly at best, otherwise he susceptible to peaks and valleys.

Bloodwork monitoring for at least 3 months is the only way to tell. Steady state blood work is evidence of that monthly administration in such low doses is not feasible. Symptoms are also such an important component as well. How does he feel?!
    He hasn't started yet. He feels like shit in general, has most of the symptoms of low test. I'm going to look at his bloodwork soon, I'm seeing him in about 45 mins.

He didn't bring back a copy of his bloodwork, he said he didn't want to wait for the copy. I also didn't get to talk to the doctor, the assistant told him she was to busy with other patients. He's very stubborn and the type of guy to not want to deal with anything or put his foot down when needed. I'm trying to help him but it's frustrating when he's barely helping himself. Any other that can post why his current protocol isn't the best option would be appreciated.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by GymHero View Post
    He hasn't started yet. He feels like shit in general, has most of the symptoms of low test. I'm going to look at his bloodwork soon, I'm seeing him in about 45 mins.
    I was on once per month protocol @ 200mg and it totally sucked. First 5-7 days were great. The rest of the month was hell. You will literally feel worse than you did prior to TRT. I worked up from once/ month, to every 2 weeks, to once/ week and self injections, and then to 2x/week injections.

If the Dr is too busy to answer patient questions and doesn't provide a copy of your labs or at least a health portal when you can access lab values, I would consider finding a different Dr.

I,m currently on .3cc (~66mg) of 200mg/ml test cyp twice per week and it's a much, much better protocol. Less T fluctuations, less E2 fluctuations....just better all the way around)

Moving this to TRT forum.
    Last edited by almostgone; 08-12-2020 at 07:22 PM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Listen...

Your dad is 70yrs old.

We here are 20 or 30 or 40 or gasp 50 years old or even more.
    We are very pro-TRT and gear in general.

However at a certain age caution is warranted.

That being said...

75mgs once a month is ridiculusly low.

I can see a doctor prescribing 40mgs a week or if they are idiots, 80mgs every two weeks.
    I am 49yrs old and 225lbs and 80mgs/week keeps me above 400 at my trough.

But once a month injections are against what the medical community recommends.
    "The half-life of testosterone cypionate when injected intramuscularly is approximately eight days."
    https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme...5&type=display

At the end of the month, your poor dad will have about less than 10% of the injection still in his system.

I would highly recommend getting a second opinion.
    almostgone likes this.

^^^^^ Yep, I'm 55 years old, almost 56, and I'm not the oldest.

Thread Information