Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By almostgone

Thread: Suggestions to help female put on weight

LD1812 is offline New Member

Suggestions to help female put on weight

This may be the wrong section but I wasn't sure where to post it. My wife has struggled her whole life to put on weight no matter what she does. We've tried increasing her calorie intake by shakes, making her eat until she is about to throw up all etc with no help. She may put on a pound or two but the next week she is right back down where she was. She is 30 years old and only weighs 93-95 lbs sitting at 12% bodyfat (which isn't healthy obviously). We are wondering if this could possibly be a hormone issue. We have an appointment to meet with a doctor and see what they say but figured I'd hope on here and ask if anyone knows anything about this or has any ideas of something she could take to possibly help her out.

Some symptoms she has is extremely painful menstrual cramps (kind of irregular) thinning hair, low sex drive, obviously weight and body fat issues, always exhausted, but doesn't sleep well overnight often.

Any advice or ideas are welcomed and appreciated.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LD1812 View Post
    This may be the wrong section but I wasn't sure where to post it. My wife has struggled her whole life to put on weight no matter what she does. We've tried increasing her calorie intake by shakes, making her eat until she is about to throw up all etc with no help. She may put on a pound or two but the next week she is right back down where she was. She is 30 years old and only weighs 93-95 lbs sitting at 12% bodyfat (which isn't healthy obviously). We are wondering if this could possibly be a hormone issue. We have an appointment to meet with a doctor and see what they say but figured I'd hope on here and ask if anyone knows anything about this or has any ideas of something she could take to possibly help her out.

Some symptoms she has is extremely painful menstrual cramps (kind of irregular) thinning hair, low sex drive, obviously weight and body fat issues, always exhausted, but doesn't sleep well overnight often.

If she were a man, I would say low t, but this is outside my wheel house for sure.

Probably ought to pull a thyroid panel, cbc and lipids at least. Lots of sites will let you order your own bloodwork if you are in the US. I like ultalabtests and privatmdlabs, but there are others. Always look for a discount code,BTW.

Maybe have your wife sign up here and get access to the ladies sections. No clue how active it is, but there are definitely some sharp ladies here.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by LD1812 View Post

I'd definitely see her Dr. and if warranted, an endocrinologist, and her gynecologist. You're correct, hormones, including thyroid can cause thinning of the hair.

The painful and very irregular menstrual cramps was something my wife dealt with for years. In her case, it was endometriosis, but it could be quite a few things.

Her best resource is starting with her primary care Dr. and then proceed as needed from there.
    Cuz and LD1812 like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information