signalman is offline New Member

Drop in free T levels - Lipitor to blame?

I'm 42, 5"10", 240, very muscular around 15% bodyfat and on trt for 3 years now. My cholesterol has always been just above "normal" (total 224, tri 124, HDL 29 in January) the whole time with a fairly clean diet. April bloods showed total of 133, tri 96, HDL 31 after 30 days of Lipitor 20mg I bought online to stop my Doc from lecturing me (also ran super clean diet since January).

My total T stayed in the high 800s, but free went from 28.2 to 6.7! I have to think Lipitor was the reason for this. Does anyone else have an issue with cholesterol meds and free T? I realize 20mg is a high dose but will my free levels increase now that I'm off it?

I'm thinking of adding in Proviron tp up free T levels.

Trt protocol:
    200 cyp/week (I use 100 e4d)
    250iu HCG 2x week
    12.5 Aromasin 2x week (I add to keep E low)

rplante7 is offline Junior Member
    How did you feel with your free T level at the lower level??

Youthful55guy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by signalman View Post
    I'm 42, 5"10", 240, very muscular around 15% bodyfat and on trt for 3 years now. My cholesterol has always been just above "normal" (total 224, tri 124, HDL 29 in January) the whole time with a fairly clean diet. April bloods showed total of 133, tri 96, HDL 31 after 30 days of Lipitor 20mg I bought online to stop my Doc from lecturing me (also ran super clean diet since January).

My total T stayed in the high 800s, but free went from 28.2 to 6.7! I have to think Lipitor was the reason for this. Does anyone else have an issue with cholesterol meds and free T? I realize 20mg is a high dose but will my free levels increase now that I'm off it?

I'm thinking of adding in Proviron tp up free T levels.

Trt protocol:
    200 cyp/week (I use 100 e4d)
    250iu HCG 2x week
    12.5 Aromasin 2x week (I add to keep E low)
    I'm taking half that dose, 10 mg of Lipitor (Atorvastin). I've been taking this since October of 2013. It definitely brought my cholesterol and lipids in line. They started creeping up and slightly high (like you) soon after I started TRT, so I do believe that the elevated lipids are T related and Atorvastin has countered this well.

I've always had high and ever increasing SHBG, but did not see any correlation to the use of Atorvastin. The constant rise from already high levels is much more closely related to thyroid meds in my case.

I started very low doses of Winstrol (Stanozolol ) several years ago, and even at very low levels (0.25mg 2X per day), it has been EXTREMELY effective at bringing the high SHBG (mid-70's-90's nmol/L) in range. Anavar (Oxandrolone) has also been effective, but I had to use a higher level (5 mg 2X per day) and it is about 4X the price. I did not see any advantage to Anavar over Winstrol. About the only advantage (in the USA) is that Anavar is commercially available but Winstrol is not. So if you can get a friendly doc to prescribe it, then you can get it legally and possibly under insurance.

I've never tried Proviron, I investigated using it, but the price per effective dose was even higher than Anavar, so I've never gone down that avenue.

So, in answer to your question, my experience says that the increase in SHBG is not related to Atorvastin, but your experience says the opposite. Perhaps I need to reevaluate my thinking?

signalman is offline New Member
    Lower free is reducing libido for sure, doc says it's only total to be concerned with but I feel a big difference. I'm not going to run Lipitor in between next blood and see what happens. I have a feeling there is a connection to the cholesterol meds as my free was never this low in 3 years of trt with labs.

Youthful55guy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by signalman View Post
    Lower free is reducing libido for sure, doc says it's only total to be concerned with but I feel a big difference. I'm not going to run Lipitor in between next blood and see what happens. I have a feeling there is a connection to the cholesterol meds as my free was never this low in 3 years of trt with labs.
    Your doc knows Jack $#it about TRT. Total T is at best a rough screening tool. It's free T that matters.

You got my interest up and I put Lipitor (Atorvastin) on my list of things to research relative to SHBG. probably won't get to it for a while, but I'd be interested in knowing if you learn anything more.

Thread Information