Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded

Thread: hypothyroidism help?

Ybk993 is offline Junior Member

hypothyroidism help?

I'm a hypogonadism patient.
    I've been using testosterone for 4 years.
    I had a blood test. hypothyroidism.
    I've been using t4 for 3 weeks.
    I have fatigue, fatigue, weight, edema problems.
    When do I recover?

Youthful55guy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ybk993 View Post
    When do I recover?
    It would be helpful if you posted labs (with their normal ranges too).

Ybk993 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Youthful55guy View Post
    It would be helpful if you posted labs (with their normal ranges too).
    I did not understand you

Marcus G is offline Knowledgeable Member
    When do I recover?
    This isn't something that can't easily be answered without knowing your blood test results and medical history. It is worth mentioning though that elevated estrogen (amounts plenty of other things) can cause all of the above symptoms. Another point that is worth mentioning is that alot of doctors miss diagnose thyroid issues by only testing TSH and T4 rather than testing T3. Also the most common prescribed medication is T4 but the problem is you could have an issue with the convertion of T4 to T3 so more T4 wouldn't change anything. You need to see an endocrinologist rather than a GP. Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

KittyO1 is offline Female Member
    ^^ I agree with Marcus! More details on your blood work would help see if there is any other underlying reason for the symptoms. Also, it can take several weeks to months for the dr to figure out the right dosage of t3/t4 to get your levels right. Unfortunately your symptoms will remain until the right dosage is reached.

~“We believe that we are all saved the same way, by the undeserved grace of the Lord Jesus.” Acts 15:11~‬ *NLT‬‬
    ‬‬

Testlolblast is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus G View Post
    This isn't something that can't easily be answered without knowing your blood test results and medical history. It is worth mentioning though that elevated estrogen (amounts plenty of other things) can cause all of the above symptoms. Another point that is worth mentioning is that alot of doctors miss diagnose thyroid issues by only testing TSH and T4 rather than testing T3. Also the most common prescribed medication is T4 but the problem is you could have an issue with the convertion of T4 to T3 so more T4 wouldn't change anything. You need to see an endocrinologist rather than a GP. Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.
    Totally agree with Marcus G about the T4 to T3 convertion rate. Well if you can't get your hands on prescription t3 to add to your levothyroxine, by the moment you can try over - counter product which active ingredient is bioavailable selenium (in drops form). There is the evidence that adding selenium supplements to a diet can increase t4 to t3 convertion rate. And also ask your doctor about checking the vit d.

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    I've been using t4 for 3 weeks
    When do I recover?
    if your doc diagnosed you with hypothyroid and prescribed you T4 , then I'm guessing blood work showed either high levels of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) or low T4 (or both). the actual 'active' form of Thyroid, T3 should also have been checked.

IF your TSH was high, this means that your pituitary gland is producing a lot of TSH, in an attempt to stimulate thyroid production from the thyroid gland. Its essentially over producing TSH because theres not enough active thyroid available in attempt to stimulate more thyroid production. This is why high levels of TSH on a blood test indicates thyroid problems.

however, we need to go 'down stream' to keep looking for where the problem may lay. Ok so your pituitary gland is doing its job and producing TSH, but maybe your thyroid gland is having trouble producing T4 . and if this is the case, the diagnosis you got is "ok" and the prescription T4 should begin helping.

BUT (as was mentioned already about T4 to T3 conversion) there are further steps to get to actual 'active' thyroid production. This final step happens in the Liver, where T4 is converted to T3 and then released into the blood stream as 'active thyroid' and what your body uses.
    IF you have problems at this stage of thyroid production, the T4 is NOT going to help you.

more blood work needs to be done to check T3 levels and to check for nutritional and mineral deficiencies . a deficiency in Iodine or in Zinc for example can cause your Liver to struggle to convert T4 into T3.

my point is, further investigation is needed and you need to look at the beginning point (the pituitary and TSH), mid point (the thyroid gland) and further downstream (the liver) to try and pin point where the real heart of the problem lays.
    Marcus G likes this.

Thread Information