Like Tree1Likes

Thread: TRT dose too low

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member

TRT dose too low

I was diagnosed with secondary hypogonadism. The endo I'm working with started me with clomid at 25mg daily which improved my total T to 600 (up from 220) and free T to 17.7 (up from 7.48) after 8 weeks. Despite the improved numbers I felt no difference (still fatigued). During my recent visit with the endo he asked how I would like to proceed and we agreed to go with testosterone .

My endo wants me to start with 50mg Test 1x week and revisit in 6 weeks. My understanding is that 50mg per week is too low. I have 2 small vials of 200mg/ml test with 1 refill for 2 more vials. I'm not sure what to do? I would have been much happier if he prescribed 100mg/wk but I didn't want to push.

I know a clinic would start me off with a higher dose but my insurance is covering this and I'd prefer to get a higher dose prescribed by my endo.

Should I not take the test and get my bloodwork in 6 weeks which would show low levels then ask for 100mg/wk? I don't like being dishonest with the endo but shutting myself down with 50mg/wk seems like a bad idea.

NEMESIS RR is offline Associate Member
    Take 25mg, this will have your levels in the gutter . Then hopefully he will prescribe 100mg. Or just find a doctor that is a bit more liberal on dosing.

Hoss34 is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Cylon. It does seem your doc is looking to adjust your level in a short time frame.

Are you looking to feel better (less fatigue), is there a certain number you are looking to hit, or are you looking to put on size? 600 isn't a bad number IMO if you're just looking to feel a few years younger.

What is your vitamin intake like?

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    No HCG prescribed just the test. I'm mainly looking for energy but a modest increase in muscle/strength would be welcome too.

My current test levels look good but I feel no different than when levels were low before the clomid. I take vitamin D and a multi. My D levels are in the upper range of the scale. Stress and sleep are good too.

I am curious to see what my numbers are without the clomid. I'd like to get to 700-800 range maybe a little higher and the studies I've looked at show most needing more than 50mg to get there.

I would wait the 6 weeks and see what your levels are at. Coenzyme Q10 and some other vitamins are good for fatigue.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    The standard medical practice would be to start low or moderate and get additional bloodwork 7-8 weeks after cypionate is started. The bloodwork will guide the titration thereafter. 100mg/wk, typically prescribed as 200mg every two weeks, is the standard level for most men. Also note that when taking exogenous T your bioavailable and free T levels will be higher ceteris paribus. My recommendation would be to stick with the Dr's orders for 7-8 weeks, i.e., up to blood work date, and then just see what happens. If it comes back low, up the dose on your own and call in for another appointment.

Thread Information