Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kelkel
  • 1 Post By Beefcheeks7

Thread: Lab results 11 years on HRT

  1. #1
    bethdoth's Avatar
    bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Drunkest City in the USA
    Posts
    1,342

    Lab results 11 years on HRT

    I am currently 61 and started on HRT when I was 50. My Doc proscribes 200mg CYP a week IM. I do 70mg subq every 3.5 days. I do full lab work at least twice a year and it seems over the past 5 years my RBC and RDW are High and MCV and MCH low. I try to give blood every 8 weeks to keep my hemoglobin in check. I typically do my injections on Sunday morning and Wednesday evening and do my labs on a Wednesday morning where I think they should be at their lowest levels. I have noticed that my test total and free seem to be a bit higher. My labs last week total was 1,015ng/dl (scale 280-1100). I wonder if I should cut back to say maybe 60 mg every 3.5 days or lower for HRT? Would this improve my other labs? I have been feeling pretty crappy lately fatigue always tired and my motivation to workout hard at the gym is lower. Is there nay other things I can do to improve my RBC, RDW, MCV and MCH?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lab results 11 years on HRT-capture.jpg  

  2. #2
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    25,099
    I'd be curious to see what your ferritin values are and at least a TIBC, iron, and ferritin panel may not be a bad idea. I'm not a medical professional, but I think some of these things go along with getting older (I'll be 58 soon).

    Just curious, do you take Omeprazole or a PPI. Seems like I recall reading that someone here had an issue with Omeprazole and iron deficiency which could explain your MCV and MCH. If you do use a PPI, run a Google on "omeprazole and iron".

    Also, I've tanked my ferritin before and had almost exactly the same issues. On the other hand, my blood is stupid and generally acts nuttier than a tree full of squirrels.

    IDK, maybe that will help you either find an answer or rule out some things.

    Please post up in this thread when you eliminate possibilities or get any answers. Ain't none of us getting any younger.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  3. #3
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    29,758
    Everything AG said. There are studies showing multiple blood donations in older subjects directly lead to anemia. Very common.
    AG's on point with ppi's and iron deficiency as over time it inhibits iron absorption. Personal knowledge of that aspect!
    Last edited by kelkel; 09-23-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    almostgone likes this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  4. #4
    Beefcheeks7's Avatar
    Beefcheeks7 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Scv
    Posts
    101
    Lab results 11 years on HRT-22032baf-b897-4732-bace-7b61a25954e8.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I'd be curious to see what your ferritin values are and at least a TIBC, iron, and ferritin panel may not be a bad idea. I'm not a medical professional, but I think some of these things go along with getting older (I'll be 58 soon).

    Just curious, do you take Omeprazole or a PPI. Seems like I recall reading that someone here had an issue with Omeprazole and iron deficiency which could explain your MCV and MCH. If you do use a PPI, run a Google on "omeprazole and iron".

    Also, I've tanked my ferritin before and had almost exactly the same issues. On the other hand, my blood is stupid and generally acts nuttier than a tree full of squirrels.

    IDK, maybe that will help you either find an answer or rule out some things.

    Please post up in this thread when you eliminate possibilities or get any answers. Ain't none of us getting any younger.
    Does AAs directly effect ferritin levels? Tell me what you think of these levels, this is 3-4 weeks after getting off a cycle. I mean I figure the more and larger rbc's would cause ferritin to be low right?
    Last edited by Beefcheeks7; 09-25-2022 at 08:15 PM.

  5. #5
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    25,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcheeks7 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22032BAF-B897-4732-BACE-7B61A25954E8.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	182112

    Does AAs directly effect ferritin levels? Tell me what you think of these levels, this is 3-4 weeks after getting off a cycle. I mean I figure the more and larger rbc's would cause ferritin to be low right?
    Frequent donations/over donations are commonly the cause of low ferritin levels.

    Your ferritin levels are low, your iron is lowish and supplementation is a long roundabout way to increase iron levels, but there are lots of other issues that could be responsible.

    I would make sure I was incorporating iron rich foods, particularly meats; personally beef and fish ( I prefer steelhead when available....just my preference on that).

    Another thing I would suggest is a good iron supplement that contained Vitamin C as well. It seems like Amazon carried Vitron-C, which worked well for me.

    Keep monitoring those levels.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  6. #6
    Beefcheeks7's Avatar
    Beefcheeks7 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Scv
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Frequent donations/over donations are commonly the cause of low ferritin levels.

    Your ferritin levels are low, your iron is lowish and supplementation is a long roundabout way to increase iron levels, but there are lots of other issues that could be responsible.

    I would make sure I was incorporating iron rich foods, particularly meats; personally beef and fish ( I prefer steelhead when available....just my preference on that).

    Another thing I would suggest is a good iron supplement that contained Vitamin C as well. It seems like Amazon carried Vitron-C, which worked well for me.

    Keep monitoring those levels.

    Yeah there may be an underlying issue here because I haven't donated any blood in years, my diet is pretty good a lot of red meat I thought maybe too much to be honest. I am supplementing right now iron and vitamin C and I go back tomorrow for some other blood works to start TRT So we will see if anything has changed.
    almostgone likes this.

  7. #7
    bethdoth's Avatar
    bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Drunkest City in the USA
    Posts
    1,342
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    I'd be curious to see what your ferritin values are and at least a TIBC, iron, and ferritin panel may not be a bad idea. I'm not a medical professional, but I think some of these things go along with getting older (I'll be 58 soon).

    Just curious, do you take Omeprazole or a PPI. Seems like I recall reading that someone here had an issue with Omeprazole and iron deficiency which could explain your MCV and MCH. If you do use a PPI, run a Google on "omeprazole and iron".

    Also, I've tanked my ferritin before and had almost exactly the same issues. On the other hand, my blood is stupid and generally acts nuttier than a tree full of squirrels.

    IDK, maybe that will help you either find an answer or rule out some things.

    Please post up in this thread when you eliminate possibilities or get any answers. Ain't none of us getting any younger.
    Sorry for the delay but had to go out of town for a funeral. I don't take Omeprazole or a PPI. I have my annual physical today and I will be talking to my doc about fixing these numbers. I will add to the debate, I do a low (200mg a week) tren Ace with 200mg test cyp 8 week cycle twice a year and came off on July 10th. I don't give blood to often, this year I did on 3/28 & 5/23 In 21 I gave blood 5 times.

  8. #8
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    25,099
    Quote Originally Posted by bethdoth View Post
    Sorry for the delay but had to go out of town for a funeral. I don't take Omeprazole or a PPI. I have my annual physical today and I will be talking to my doc about fixing these numbers. I will add to the debate, I do a low (200mg a week) tren Ace with 200mg test cyp 8 week cycle twice a year and came off on July 10th. I don't give blood to often, this year I did on 3/28 & 5/23 In 21 I gave blood 5 times.
    Please share whatever information you can after your Dr visit/lab values come in. Hopefully the labs will shed sone light.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  9. #9
    fossil is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    19
    I was in the same boat as you a few years back. If I got lazy and didn't donate for half a year or so, my Hct was over 60 and Hemaglobin was 21.
    At that time I was using 200mg/week of test cyp. If I donated once every 2 months I'd stay in the 53-55 hct range. But, before I started TRT 15 years ago, when my total test was 355 and my hct was 50.9, so I guess because of my heavy red meat diet, I was always in the upper range.
    After a few years I broke my pinning down into twice a week(same total dosage) and I still stayed high on hct, even with every other month donations, still in the mid/upper 50s. But, once I decided the best way to pin was daily, my hct numbers magically lowered. I now don't have to donate and stay around 52/53 hct and my hemaglobin in the 17s. The only other thing I changed at about the same time as I switched to daily pinning was starting taking Krill Oil(may or may not have helped). Plus, when I kept the same weekly dosage but switched to daily, my total went from 1100s to 1400s, and my free went from 20/30s to the 300/400s. I also feel better, kinda like when I first started TRT many years ago. I think all those begining years I was pinning my butt cheeks, I built up scar tissue, beause it got to be hard to push the needle in, and I don't think the test was being assimilated as well.
    When I now use the 23g/1" to backfill the 29g/1/2", I don't know how I could have used that harpoon, heck, my first doc, Larry Lipshultz, had me using 1 1/2" pipes to inject. I must have been desperate back then to do that!!!!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •