random321 is offline New Member

does TRT causes permenent suppression?

Hey,

I'm 22 and have pretty low levels of Testosterone . I really need it to be healthly, but I'm conflicted on whether to try TRT. I'm pretty certain I have secondary hypogonadism and nothing wrong with my testes, just my pituitary. I don't want to go on TRT because what I hear about permanent suppression of endo testosterone and testicular atrophy. I think that my body somehow got into survival mode from eating too little and exercising too much,after collapsing, and messed up a bunch of hormones. And I have faith that one day my body will send the signal to produce testosterone again. But I think it could take a year or more.

I just can't commit to TRT for life knowing that there's still a chance I could naturally get my T levels up. In the meantime I really need the extra Testosterone for general health and would like to be on it for the next year while I get my health back in order.

Is it possible to go on TRT and go off it in the future and at least get back to the natural level you started with?

Will taking HCG with TRT prevent this from happening and allow you to go off TRT and resume your natural levels?

Also, does anyone have experience with hcg only treatment of secondary hypogonadism?

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    welcome to ar bro

good questions and i'll bump this thread 4 you....what did the doctor suggest that told you your testosterone was low?

I've been to several doctors and one just prescribed testim gel. I haven't tried it. He didn't even mention that it could cause suppression. I recently tried Nolvadex on my own(from an offshore pharmacy) and it seems to be working...(test results not back yet).. but the side effects are too much. I think my liver is damaged from too much heavy drinking or something and I just can't handle the Nolvadex.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Theres your problem heavy drinking is very very bad for testosterone production. Try quitting the drinking and take some test boosters for a while to try and get things back to normal.

I forgot to mention that I quit drinking for good about 3 years ago. But when I did, it was pretty serious binge drinking, so it could have done some damage to my liver.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Have your liver values tested.

natureboy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by random321 View Post
    I've been to several doctors and one just prescribed testim gel. I haven't tried it. He didn't even mention that it could cause suppression. I recently tried Nolvadex on my own(from an offshore pharmacy) and it seems to be working...(test results not back yet).. but the side effects are too much. I think my liver is damaged from too much heavy drinking or something and I just can't handle the Nolvadex.
    Have you ever cycled before.

nope, I've never cycled before. However I would be open to doing a cycle of testosterone , if that was the only way to get some extra without suppressing my own forever. Provided that the crash of going off it isn't too bad. Is that a stupid idea?

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by random321 View Post
    nope, I've never cycled before. However I would be open to doing a cycle of testosterone, if that was the only way to get some extra without suppressing my own forever. Provided that the crash of going off it isn't too bad. Is that a stupid idea?
    All forms of test are suppressive to your natural level, hence it is called replacement therapy. If you have low test and doc prescribes it, it is for life.

This doesn't mean that they are permanently suppressive though, but taking external test won't aide or help your natural production in any way.

I would look into the HCG only route to see if you can get your natural levels going on their own.
    Last edited by FallenWyvern; 10-07-2008 at 06:19 PM.

GTOne is offline Associate Member
    In regards to running HCG with TRT, according my doc, this does give you the option to come off and never fully suppresses your own production. I am currently on TRT, but now also run HCG injections 3 times a week. Doc says this gives me the out.

The idea with TRT is it should be for life, but there are ways around it. I just had a hard time with committing anything for life.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOne View Post
    In regards to running HCG with TRT, according my doc, this does give you the option to come off and never fully suppresses your own production. I am currently on TRT, but now also run HCG injections 3 times a week. Doc says this gives me the out.

The idea with TRT is it should be for life, but there are ways around it. I just had a hard time with committing anything for life.
    If your life sucks before and it is great later, why wouldn't you want to be on for life.

FortKnox36 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOne View Post

it doesnt ever suppress it permanently. Just puts the phone on hold. HCG is really just perscribed after u get off trt (dont kno why u would) or its perscribed for fertility reasons (to increase sperm production) or guys take it while they r on trt to keep their testicle size normal.

Quote Originally Posted by FortKnox36 View Post
    it doesnt ever suppress it permanently. Just puts the phone on hold.
    Really?

Urhausen et al. (2003) studied serum parameters in 15 AAS users. The mean time after steroid cessation was 43 months with the minimum length of time 1 year and the maximum 10 years in the study. The average amount of medication used was a mean of 700 milligrams for 26 weeks, half a year, for 9 years. The long-term side-effects of anabolic steroid use were demonstrated to be most pronounced on the HPTA.

It was found 13/15 ex-AAS users were found in the lower 20 percent of the normal reference range for testosterone , 2/15 ex-AAS users were found below the normal range.
    Last edited by FallenWyvern; 11-11-2008 at 05:18 AM.

FortKnox36 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    Really?

Urhausen et al. (2003) studied serum parameters in 15 AAS users. The mean time after steroid cessation was 43 months with the minimum length of time 1 year and the maximum 10 years in the study. The average amount of medication used was a mean of 700 milligrams for 26 weeks, half a year, for 9 years. The long-term side-effects of anabolic steroid use were demonstrated to be most pronounced on the HPTA.

It was found 13/15 ex-AAS users were found in the lower 20 percent of the normal reference range for testosterone, 2/15 ex-AAS users were found below the normal range.
    That doesnt give baseline test before study was done (could of been low/normal or below normal b4 they used AAS). That study also doesnt account for age of the users studied (Age plays a part in test levels as we all know). And which users were tested 1 year after and which users were tested 10 years after?? (this could play a huge part in how the test levels are). Also 700mgs/week is a lot of test taken. With TRT usually no more than 200mgs/week is taken, if even that much.

LATS60 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FortKnox36 View Post
    That doesnt give baseline test before study was done (could of been low/normal or below normal b4 they used AAS). That study also doesnt account for age of the users studied (Age plays a part in test levels as we all know). And which users were tested 1 year after and which users were tested 10 years after?? (this could play a huge part in how the test levels are). Also 700mgs/week is a lot of test taken. With TRT usually no more than 200mgs/week is taken, if even that much.
    I agree with you mate, it doesn't suppress test levels permanantly.

Thread Information