JD8818 is offline New Member

At age 50, what testosterone level and should I use HCG?

I have been on Testim, one tube a day, for a month. I have also been taking Vitamin D-3, 1,000 IU a day. Below are my original lab results before taking Testim and my current labs results. What level of Testosterone would you shoot for? Would you add HCG ? Other recommendations? I do not plan on having any more kids. Energy level and libido has increased, but it could be better. Thanks for your help.

Age 50
    Height 6 1"
    Weight 185, 18% fat

Original Lab Results

Testosterone 199 ___Range: 241- 827 (ng/dl)
    SHBG 10 ___Range: 13 -71 (NMOL/L)
    Calc Free Test 6.3 ___Range: 6.0 - 27
    Estradol 30 ___Range: Less than 63 (pg/ml)
    Follicle Stim Hormone 2.9
    Luteinizing Hormone 1.9
    Vitamin D-25 Hydroxy 21 ____Range: 30 - 100

Current Lab Results
    Test 415
    SHBG 9
    Calc Free Test 14.1
    Estradol 27
    Vitamin D-25 Hydroxy 23

sirupate is offline Member
    I'd say the upper quartile of the range for free testosterone would be a good place to be. Question is, what does your doctor think? Some of them are content to just get you into the normal range and say "good enough". Others will treat you until you feel good again, as long as you don't go into supranormal levels of test. I don't know about HCG . I'm sure it helps get your levels up and keeps the boys from shrinking too much.

Jeff

dosXX is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sirupate View Post
    I'd say the upper quartile of the range for free testosterone would be a good place to be. Question is, what does your doctor think? Some of them are content to just get you into the normal range and say "good enough". Others will treat you until you feel good again, as long as you don't go into supranormal levels of test. I don't know about HCG . I'm sure it helps get your levels up and keeps the boys from shrinking too much.

Jeff
    Agreed. Most people in trt/hrt recommends 800 - 1200 ng/dl range and it all depends on the individual. If you're not planning to have kids then there is no need to take HCG. How you feeling at 415 by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by sirupate View Post

Jeff
    I will let you know. I am going to talk to him tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dosXX View Post
    Agreed. Most people in trt/hrt recommends 800 - 1200 ng/dl range and it all depends on the individual. If you're not planning to have kids then there is no need to take HCG. How you feeling at 415 by the way?
    Better, but I think there is room for improvement. Thanks to both who responded.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    half a tube to 1 more tube if your stuck with that shiat...or talk doc into 100-125 mg of injectable test and save all that smearing

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Nice to see your total test went up and your E2 went down! Your D did not change. When I started HRT my D was tested too, and was at 25. I started 10,000 IU of D a day (was taking 1,5000 IU of D daily before baseline testing). D is important for many things including hormone levels. You want to bump your intake of that to at least 5,000 IU a day. 10,000 is better unless you are getting D from the sun, which you obviously are not. I actually notice an energy benefit just from increasing my D.

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoBlueMilk View Post
    Nice to see your total test went up and your E2 went down! Your D did not change. When I started HRT my D was tested too, and was at 25. I started 10,000 IU of D a day (was taking 1,5000 IU of D daily before baseline testing). D is important for many things including hormone levels. You want to bump your intake of that to at least 5,000 IU a day. 10,000 is better unless you are getting D from the sun, which you obviously are not. I actually notice an energy benefit just from increasing my D.
    Didn't know that about D levels. I supplement, but only 1,000IU/day at current. Won't be much sun here for several more months.

Jeff

"At age 50, what testosterone level and should I use HCG ?
    I have been on Testim, one tube a day, for a month. I have also been taking Vitamin D-3, 1,000 IU a day. Below are my original lab results before taking Testim and my current labs results. What level of Testosterone would you shoot for? Would you add HCG? Other recommendations? I do not plan on having any more kids. Energy level and libido has increased, but it could be better. Thanks for your help."

I'll just add that I asked my endo when we were starting TRT what levels he wanted me at. He told me that he believed in a more "holistic" approach and that he was more interested in treating my symptoms than my levels. This approach is probably better than shooting for a certain level...as long as the doctor is willing to get you feeling how you want to feel.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GotNoBlueMilk View Post
    My doctor said at minimum for the first month I should be on 2,000 IU a day. On the web, I see recommendations of 3,800 to 5,000 a day. I will probably go to 3,000 to 5,000.

GotNoBlueMilk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD8818 View Post
    My doctor said at minimum for the first month I should be on 2,000 IU a day. On the web, I see recommendations of 3,800 to 5,000 a day. I will probably go to 3,000 to 5,000.
    3,000 - 5,000 IU a day is for the HCG diet protocol (and an older version at that), not prolonged treatment. If you are doing an HCG diet protocol then yes, the higher numbers are valid. If you are trying to keep the nads from shrinking or just supplementing Test, that is way too high and your will be de-sensitized by the end of 40 days. That means until you lay off the HCG for several months you won't get any benefit from it.

Thread Information