thephoenix25 is offline Associate Member

Border line low test - what should I do?

Hi all,

Of course I came here with the intention of improving my physique through the use of testosterone , but after having my blood tested pre cycle and now a few weeks into my first cycle, I'd like to ask what your opinions are :

My stats :
    37 yo
    183 cm
    83kg 182lb
    bf ~12-15%
    don't drink, smoke, drugs
    clean healthy diet ~2.5 years
    gym 3-4 p/w for ~2.5 years
    BP : resting averages at 120sys / 55dia

I've spent most of my adult life feeling very lethargic. I have a lot of trouble with sleeping and tiredness and have not woken up feeling refreshed and alert in many years. First thing in the morning (even when I don't have to go to work) it takes 1-1.5 hours before I am not a grumpy ****. I have a very low libido which has been a problem a number of times during relationships. I don't have any ED problems but on occasion I feel desensitised and cannot finish. Honestly, I've always felt like something was missing. I kinda got used to this as being just normal and didn't really think there was anything I could do. But since starting my cycle of test e 500mg p/w (currently 3 weeks into it) I have found all of these symptoms have disappeared. I have an abundance of energy, I wake up refreshed and much more easily, libido (as expected) is on the increase and my general well being feels really positive.

Now I guess I could be just wrapped up in the moment and enjoying the fringe benefits of cycling with testosterone but I cant help thinking that once my cycle is complete and PCT is done perhaps I should approach my doctor with my pre and post bw to see if I should look at TRT.

My pre bw is :

Test (total) : 14.9 nmol/L REF[8.6 - 29.0] (roughly converted 430 ng/dL)
    Free Androgen Index : 44.8 % [32.0 - 92.6]

I know this is not really low, as in, needs immediate treatment, but the improvements to my day to day well being so far are quite substantial.

Should I pursue TRT with these bw results?
    Last edited by thephoenix25; 05-20-2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: additional info

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Boarderline is not a range or number. But where numbers are considered....

if this bloodwork was done in the AM you are most likely in the 200-300 range by evening or during strenuous activity. You are peak in the AM.

You exhibit many symptoms but more information is needed from bloodwork.

Sensitive E2 assay (Estrogen)
    LH
    FSH
    CBC (Complete Blood Panel)
    CMC (Complete Metabolic Panel)

Testosterone level can be one reason. You might have more than one. You might have a simple solution to the issue but need more bloodwork.

rplante7 is offline Junior Member
    14.9 within a range of 8.6 - 29 is not that low. Did you have your free T level tested

BallSak is offline Associate Member
    Free T is what matters.

Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagotarsier View Post
    Boarderline is not a range or number. But where numbers are considered....

if this bloodwork was done in the AM you are most likely in the 200-300 range by evening or during strenuous activity. You are peak in the AM.

You exhibit many symptoms but more information is needed from bloodwork.

Sensitive E2 assay (Estrogen)
    LH
    FSH
    CBC (Complete Blood Panel)
    CMC (Complete Metabolic Panel)

Testosterone level can be one reason. You might have more than one. You might have a simple solution to the issue but need more bloodwork.
    ^^^^ This along with the other suggestions. Free t, SHBG, E2, full thyroid etc.

thephoenix25 is offline Associate Member
    Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I could only get a few of the tests suggested in the http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...rst-cycle.html thread as it took quite a bit to convince the doctor to do the tests for me and there are no private labs I could use. The tests I got where Testosterone (total), SHBG, Free Androgen Index and Prostate Specific Antigen(PSA).

Test (total) : 14.9 nmol/L [8.6 - 29.0] (roughly converted 430 ng/dL)
    Free Androgen Index : 44.8 % [32.0 - 92.6]
    SHBG : 33.3 nmol/L [16.5 - 55.9]
    Prostate Specific Antigen(PSA) : 1.20 ug/L [<1.40]

I'm mid cycle so cannot get bloods to look at this until after PCT, but I think I will get myself some proper off cycle tests when I'm back in the UK with the help of the good old NHS (for free).

If you paid for all the tests yourself without insurance or government aid, how much would you realistically expect to pay?

jump100 is offline Junior Member
    I would start treatment. There's only so much you can do to raise your T naturally. I have struggled for 6 months following strict diet, excercise and good night sleep, and T went down instead of going up. I started treatment a week a go. I am already feeling a little difference. If you can, do the slow acting TRT like nebido (AVEED in the US). It is great and you don't have to do weekly shots.

Thread Information