Thread: Iu

Score is offline Associate Member

Iu

What is an IU and why is HCG always measured this way?

Specifically how does it compare to a MG.

Are MG and CC the same thing?

Yes... I'm that dum

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Score View Post

Yes... I'm that dum
    it's not "dum"...

...it's "dumb"

I invested five whole seconds of my time copy and pasting this out of wiki to help explain the IU part of your question...

International unit

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

In pharmacology, the international unit is a unit of measurement for the amount of a substance; the mass or volume that constitutes one international unit varies based on which substance is being measured, and the variance is based on the biological activity or effect, for the purpose of easier comparison across substances. International units are used to quantify vitamins, hormones, some medications, vaccines, blood products, and similar biologically active substances.

The name international unit has often been capitalized (in English and other languages), although major English-language dictionaries treat it as a common noun and thus lowercase it. The name has several accepted abbreviations. It is often abbreviated as IU in English; as UI in Romance languages (for example, Spanish unidad internacional, French unité internationale); as IE in several Germanic languages (for example, German Internationale Einheit, Dutch internationale eenheid); or as other forms (for example, Russian МЕ, Международная единица, Hungarian NE, Nemzetközi Egység). In order to remove the possibility of having the letter "I" confused with the digit "1", some hospitals have it as a stated policy to omit the "I", that is, to only use U or E when talking and writing about dosages, while other hospitals require the word "Units" to be written out entirely.[1]

Many biological agents exist in different forms or preparations (e.g. vitamin A in the form of retinol or beta-carotene). The goal of the IU is to be able to compare these, so that different forms or preparations with the same biological effect will contain the same number of IUs. To do so, the WHO Expert Committee on Biological Standardization provides a reference preparation of the agent, arbitrarily sets the number of IUs contained in that preparation, and specifies a biological procedure to compare other preparations of the same agent to the reference preparation. Since the number of IUs contained in a new substance is arbitrarily set, there is no equivalence between IU measurements of different biological agents. For instance, one IU of vitamin E cannot be equated with one IU of vitamin A in any way, including mass or efficacy.

Despite its name, IU is not part of the International System of Units used in physics and chemistry. The IU should not be confused with the enzyme unit, also known as the International unit of enzyme activity and abbreviated as U.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Yes... I'm that dum
    milligram is a measurement of weight
    cubic centimeter is a measurement of volume

not the same thing

Sadly I still have no idea how to pull an IU into a 1ML syringe.

The spelling error was an attempt at humor

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    milligram is a measurement of weight cubic centimeter is a measurement of volume not the same thing
    I meant ML versus CC, sorry. That was not intentional, ugh!

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    ml and cc are the same.
    Your IUs per ml will be determined by how much water you use to reconstitute a certain number of IUs.
    (I.e. 5000 IU in 5ml of bac water will yield 1000 iu per ml).

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte
    ml and cc are the same. Your IUs per ml will be determined by how much water you use to reconstitute a certain number of IUs. (I.e. 5000 IU in 5ml of bac water will yield 1000 iu per ml).
    Awesome. I have a 5000 IU vile but it does not appear as if it would hold more than 2ML of water.

Does that sound normal?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Awesome. I have a 5000 IU vile but it does not appear as if it would hold more than 2ML of water.

Does that sound normal?
    Yeah. You add 1ml of water, then transfer it to a bigger vial and add 4 more.

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    (Yes, cc and mL are the same thing and are used interchangeably. Don't ask me why.)

Or you can add 2mL of water which is what I do.

Some basic math:

5000iu hcg /2mL water. Reducing further:

2500iu/1mL

250iu/0.1mL (If you want to inject this dose, fill up the 1mL (cc) syringe to the #1 mark)

This means each little line between 0 and 1 is equal to 25iu.

So if you want to inject daily you can figure it out. I inject 100iu daily so I fill up four little lines.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sox
    (Yes, cc and mL are the same thing and are used interchangeably. Don't ask me why.) Or you can add 2mL of water which is what I do. Some basic math: 5000iu hcg/2mL water. Reducing further: 2500iu/1mL 250iu/0.1mL (If you want to inject this dose, fill up the 1mL (cc) syringe to the #1 mark) This means each little line between 0 and 1 is equal to 25iu. So if you want to inject daily you can figure it out. I inject 100iu daily so I fill up four little lines.
    Awesome!

[QUOTE="Bonaparte"] Yeah. You add 1ml of water, then transfer it to a bigger vial and add 4 more.[/QUOT

Thanks!!

Thread Information