Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 2Sox
  • 1 Post By numbere

Thread: Finasteride

ZenFitness is offline Associate Member

Finasteride

Hey all,

Since this forum contains anti-aging topics, I thought I would bring up a hair loss discussion. I'm 38 with hair thick but thinning on to p, and I've been at Rogaine for about a year and a half. Initially Rogaine helped, but I think my hair is starting to think on top a bit. I was reading about finasteride which admittedly spooks me due to the reported sexual side effects. Then I read this:Finasteride and sexual side effects. Does anyone know much about finasteride?

2Sox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There it is: Blunts libido and develop ED. If it's a toss up between libido and hair.........

I'd shave my head and enjoy life.
    Last edited by 2Sox; 06-21-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    NACH3 likes this.

highpsi is offline Junior Member
    I took that crap around the age of 22 and I don't think I ever recovered.

OingoBoingo is offline Member
    Gotta agree with 2Sox.

I was bummed when I started losing my hair, but in my case, shaving my head was a very good move!

NEMESIS RR is offline Associate Member
    Don't do it.

I've been using minoxidil for 10 years. It has slowed my hair loss and thinning a very great deal. Hair isn't as thick as it used to be and there's a little receding but I'm grateful for the help. Cheap on Amazon.

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    I have been researching 5ar inhibitors for the past few weeks. Dutasteride is far superior to finasteride. Dutasteride is roughly 3 times more effective as finasteride at inhibiting type 2 5ar and more than 100 times more effective at inhibiting the type 1 5ar enzyme.

I don't mean to be rude, but did you guys really read the article in the OP? This article refers to the Nocebo effect and how finasteride really doesn't cause sexual side effects.

The following quotes are directly from the article provided in the OP.

The role of nocebo effect in the causation of ED due to finasteride has been investigated.[7] Nocebo effect refers to an adverse effect that results from the psychological awareness of the possibility of the side effects, but is not a direct result of the specific pharmacological action of the drug. In this study, the group informed about the sexual adverse effects of finasteride reported increased incidence of ED, when compared to the group without information.
    Two studies in 1998 and 1999 showed that the incidence of these side effects with finasteride therapy was generally comparable to that observed with the treatment with placebo,[8,9] and there was no evidence of dose dependency or increased incidence with longer therapy out to 12 months.
    To date, there is no evidence-based data substantiating the link between finasteride and persistent sexual side effects in the numerous double blinded, placebo controlled studies using finasteride 1 mg for hairloss. Reports of persistent sexual side effects have come from a variety of sources with some internet sites attracting individuals claiming to have sexual and psychological issues related to finasteride.
    A number of studies have looked at the problem of side effects caused by finasteride.[6–11] These studies which are discussed below reveal that sexual adverse effects occur at the rates of 2.1% to 3.8%, erectile dysfunction (ED) being the commonest followed by ejaculatory dysfunction and loss of libido. These effects occurred early in the therapy and returned to normal on stopping or over a time on continuous use of the drug. The only causal relation between finasteride and sexual adverse effects is decreased ejaculatory volume because of predominant action of DHT on prostate.
    Last edited by numbere; 06-22-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    ZenFitness likes this.

highpsi is offline Junior Member
    I don't need to read the article, I took it and experienced it 16 years ago, it took 1 month to screw me up for years. And that was without knowing that there was a hint of possibility it could do that until a few years ago.
    Last edited by highpsi; 06-22-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by highpsi View Post
    I don't need to read the article, I took it and experienced it 16 years ago, it took 1 month to screw me up for years. And that was without knowing that there was a hint of possibility it could do that until a few years ago.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if someone posts an article and then asks a question you should read the article before commenting.

The following is a paraphrase.

Antiandrogens like finasteride are often thought of by the lay person to induce impotence. The truth is even an individual with low testosterone levels can achieve an erection. In addition to androgens, visual, olfactory, tactile, auditory, and imaginative stimuli influence the libido.

Your loss of libido could have been simply coincidental and related to other factors such as a high propensity to sexual dysfunction, and/or the placebo effect.

xcraider37 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if someone posts an article and then asks a question you should read the article before commenting.

The following is a paraphrase.

Antiandrogens like finasteride are often thought of by the lay person to induce impotence. The truth is even an individual with low testosterone levels can achieve an erection. In addition to androgens, visual, olfactory, tactile, auditory, and imaginative stimuli influence the libido.

Your loss of libido could have been simply coincidental and related to other factors such as a high propensity to sexual dysfunction, and/or the placebo effect.
    Wow you believe what they sell you, I have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona, I'll sell it to you cheap.

Stay off the sh!t and shave your freak'in head.

Quote Originally Posted by xcraider37 View Post
    Wow you believe what they sell you, I have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona, I'll sell it to you cheap.

Stay off the sh!t and shave your freak'in head.
    Thank you.
    From the article:

Doses of 0.2 mg are adequate to suppress both scalp skin and serum DHT levels. While 0.2 mg caused 55% DHT suppression, 5 mg per day achieved 69% DHT suppression. Efficacy has been demonstrated for all end points for finasteride at doses of 0.2 mg/day or higher, with 1 and 5 mg demonstrating similar efficacy that was superior to lower doses.[8,9,19]

DHT is the driver behind our libido. If they made an injectable, I'd be one of the first on line to get it. Anything that suppresses DHT levels - like finasteride - has its libido deadening effects. Nocebo, placebo or just plain bullshit. That's how it works.

That's why I use minoxidil.

To each his own I suppose. I prefer to use dutasteride. After much research I believe the benefits outweigh the risks, making the juice worth the squeeze.

If you are interested in an indictable version of DHT then you should look into masteron . Masteron is a form of the DHT hormone that has been methylated to circumvent being metabolized.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Sox View Post
    There it is: Blunts libido and develop ED. If it's a toss up between libido and hair.........

I'd shave my head and enjoy life.
    Exactly. Shaving for the past 15 years. F all those miracle hair products. Bald has been good to me

Hi numbere, thanks for responding... you are 100% right, the article made me rethink finasteride. I'm not planning to take it at this point, but the article (among other things) is making me rethink the popular misconception of the side effects.

Ryanmcd is offline Associate Member
    Read this 1st:

Go to first new post Sticky Thread Sticky: Official Finasteride Thread
    Started by Dr. John Crisler, 06-23-2009
    drjohns, finasteride, hairloss, official, stop, sucks, thread, topical, works
    Replies: 1,096
    Views: 115,276

Everyone here is screwed up for years....

Thanks Ryan - do you have a link? I don't see that in our forums.

Just goto dr crislers forum all things male I think that's his forum.

Wildcat23 is offline New Member
    Been on finasteride for 8 yrs, it works! Didn't effect my libido at all, plus being on trt for the last year my sex drive is sky high.

100% worth it for me. Funny shaped head bald is a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat23 View Post
    Been on finasteride for 8 yrs, it works! Didn't effect my libido at all, plus being on trt for the last year my sex drive is sky high.

100% worth it for me. Funny shaped head bald is a no go.
    Nice 1st post, did you save this account for something

Wildcat23 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanmcd View Post
    Nice 1st post, did you save this account for something
    Huh? Joined forum, been reading and learning about trt. Thought I would chime in bc I have been on fin for a while and have experience with it......

Thread Information