charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Testosterone production

I am trying to wrap my fingers around what all of this means. There are alot of different tests and results and I want to better understand. Your body produces testosterone and some adhere to shbg, albumin, and some stays free. Is there any way to manipulate this combination without taking testosterone? What determines which category the natural test will reside?
    I have read a number of studies and some think total test is the important factor in determining hypergonadism and others feel free test is the best method. Free test seems to me to be the best method. I realize that these are all just numbers but I want to know more of the mechanics.
    Also, how is it possible to have total test way low and the shbg, albumin, and free test be within the ranges? Is it the overlap of ranges? If that is the case, then I do see issues with only using free test.
    Each laboratory has its own range of acceptable levels. Why do the labs make the acceptable ranges and not the Dr.? I originally thought that it was because of a standard that they used to obtain a reading, but I recently went to another lab and they had something like 150 total test was acceptble however the other lab was 240. My results were about the same (152 vs 169). In one case I was right near the low limit but within and the other i was clearly under.

I am sure that someone out there knows these answers or can direct me to where i can find the answers (or confuse me more) lol. I have probably seen something at one time but never really understood it.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Bump

Thread Information