Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience

Thread: TRT causes me to get cholinergic urticaria

Relogic is offline New Member

TRT causes me to get cholinergic urticaria

Every time I try TRT, I get cholinergic urticaria aka painful heat hives.

My last protocol was 50mg Test C Mon, Wed, & Fri and 250 iu HCG Tue & Thur. No AI.

Other supplements: Fish Oil - 4g a day

My results with the above protocol after 8 weeks:
    Hematocrit: 48.9%
    Hemoglobin: 16.5 g/dL
    LDL: 128
    HDL: 43
    TSH: 3.9 uIU/ML
    Sensitive Estradiol: 36.8 pg/mL
    SHBG: 37.9 nmol/L
    Serum Testosterone : 1057 ng/dL
    Free Testosterone: 25.6

These results look pretty good, although my cholesterol could use some improving. Luckily I can increase my fiber intake to lower my LDL.

The cholinergic urticaria usually occurs 2 - 3 months after starting TRT, and goes away 3 - 6 months after stopping TRT. I can't find much info about why it would be happening. I feel great when doing TRT and would love to stay on it, however I can't handle the hives.

In the past, I've been on AI's and HCG while on Test C, and I've been off both while on Test C. The only common denominator for the cause of cholinergic urticaria is Test C. So I'm wondering if it's dose related or maybe even the ester the testosterone is attached to.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this? I've tossed around the idea of lowering the dose to 50mg Test C every 3.5 days to see if that helps. Either way, I'm fairly certain it's the testosterone injections that are causing it to flare up.
    Last edited by Relogic; 11-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Youthful55guy is offline Senior Member
    I have no experience with that side-effect and this is the first I've ever seen of someone describing it.

My first reaction is consistent with what you've already thrown out, you can probably cut back on the amount of T-cyp you are using. I usually recommend a starting dose of about 100mg per week split into either 2X per week or E3D injections. Then increase from there if needed to bring Free (or bioavailable) T into the upper 75th percentile of the normal range. Usually this starting dose will get you close unless your SHBG is off, but yours seems to be good (as best I can tell without a normal range for comparison).

My second reaction is also consistent with your posted thoughts, that you try another form of T (perhaps T-eth).

Here are my labs when not on TRT:

Hematocrit: 44.8%
    Hemoglobin: 15.1 g/dL
    LDL: 146
    HDL: 56
    TSH: 2.82 uIU/ML
    Sensitive Estradiol: 10.9 pg/mL
    SHBG: 57.7 nmol/L
    Serum Testosterone : 384 ng/dL
    Free Testosterone: 6.8

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Relogic View Post
    These results look pretty good, although my cholesterol could use some improving. Luckily I can increase my fiber intake to lower my LDL.
    I don't think it looks bad . in fact, I recently heard a stat (given by a cardiologist) that lower LDL levels are linked to a higher rate of mortality. . given that and that its not all that high, I'd see no reason to try and lower it

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    I don't think it looks bad . in fact, I recently heard a stat (given by a cardiologist) that lower LDL levels are linked to a higher rate of mortality. . given that and that its not all that high, I'd see no reason to try and lower it
    Yep, if you have lower cholesterols your risk of death Increase. Especially in older adults 55 and older, there seems to be a much stronger need for higher cholesterol numbers. The last study I read was of 37,000 participants. So good statistical power, however it’s being shit on because there is a lot of money at stake when it comes to statin drugs etc.
    GearHeaded likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Yep, if you have lower cholesterols your risk of death Increase. Especially in older adults 55 and older, there seems to be a much stronger need for higher cholesterol numbers. The last study I read was of 37,000 participants. So good statistical power, however it’s being shit on because there is a lot of money at stake when it comes to statin drugs etc.
    this is also what this cardiologist said. he's been practicing for over 25 years. he's expected to prescribe statins. yet this information is out there that LDL is not a 'bad' cholesterol and lower levels of it have health consequences. . information the drug companies don't really want to be out there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    this is also what this cardiologist said. he's been practicing for over 25 years. he's expected to prescribe statins. yet this information is out there that LDL is not a 'bad' cholesterol and lower levels of it have health consequences. . information the drug companies don't really want to be out there.
    It’s sad, how many premature deaths and morbidities could have been prevented by following the science.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

BG

OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

Tips For Young Lifters

hrm, that's the first I've heard that lower LDL could be bad...I've always heard blanket statements on how there is a lot of incorrect/incomplete information out about cholesterol and it's affects on health, but nothing too concrete or specific...suppose I need to take some time to study up on it

hrm, that's the first I've heard that lower LDL could be bad...I've always heard blanket statements on how there is a lot of incorrect/incomplete information out about cholesterol and it's affects on health, but nothing too concrete or specific...suppose I need to take some time to study up on it
    heres a podcast that touches on some things you may find interesting

Blog Entries
    There is actually a lot of papers out there dating back at least 30 years. It’s just been mainly ignored, overlooked or outright suppressed. It will take a long time to change the medical community minds on things. Believe it or not, but the medical profession is many years behind the current state of the art if you will. Some of that is with good reason as they are not chasing the newest study that’s not had the benefit of reproduction and scrutiny over time. Someof it’s just a pure time factor, Dr. are crazy busy and some of it’s special interest. Which can’t be avoided in any human system.

BG

OB

BG

Tips For Young Lifters

Thread Information