Phunkophonic is offline Junior Member

"Crohns Disease & HGH"

Female, 34. Crohns Disease 135 lbs
    Question: Can HGH help in anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkophonic
    Female, 34. Crohns Disease 135 lbs
    Question: Can HGH help in anyway?
    The problem with GH and Crohn's is that GH increases type I immunity (cell-mediated immunity), which is the "arm" of the immune system acting to cause Crohn's. That's just one aspect of it though.....the subsequent boost in serum IGF-1 will cause a more rapid turnover of the epithelial cells that constitute the intestine and therefore increase the amount of "antigen" that Crohn's is recognizing as foreign. I know there are other, more indirect mechanisms I'm overlooking, which could be both in favor or detrimental to the overall cause, but these two are by far the most relevant.

Phunkophonic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    The problem with GH and Crohn's is that GH increases type I immunity (cell-mediated immunity), which is the "arm" of the immune system acting to cause Crohn's. That's just one aspect of it though.....the subsequent boost in serum IGF-1 will cause a more rapid turnover of the epithelial cells that constitute the intestine and therefore increase the amount of "antigen" that Crohn's is recognizing as foreign. I know there are other, more indirect mechanisms I'm overlooking, which could be both in favor or detrimental to the overall cause, but these two are by far the most relevant.
    Very much appreciated, Thank you.

kitchenSinkChemist is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by einstein1905
    Actually, Crohn's is thought by some to be an immune deficiency disease, and one of the most promising drugs in clinical trials is GM-CSF is a potent immune stimulant that acts on Th1 dendritic cells.

http://www.biospace.com/news_story.c...6635020&full=1

I do not have Crohn's but have taken both GM-CSF and GH (not at the same time). I can tell you that in terms of immune system benefits, GH is over-rated. If I had Crohn's I would foremost want to be on GM-CSF (I think Gensci makes it). I would perhaps add GH if I had the money but don't expect too much from it.

Quote Originally Posted by kitchenSinkChemist
    Actually, Crohn's is thought by some to be an immune deficiency disease, and one of the most promising drugs in clinical trials is GM-CSF is a potent immune stimulant that acts on Th1 dendritic cells.

http://www.biospace.com/news_story.c...6635020&full=1

I do not have Crohn's but have taken both GM-CSF and GH (not at the same time). I can tell you that in terms of immune system benefits, GH is over-rated. If I had Crohn's I would foremost want to be on GM-CSF (I think Gensci makes it). I would perhaps add GH if I had the money but don't expect too much from it.
    The link you provided tried to imply that Crohn's is the result of the ensuing inflammation AFTER breaching the mucosal lining.......there are many schools of thought that think the reason for the weakened mucosal lining is due to autoimmunity.

Why would you, an assumedly healthy person, be taking GM-CSF?

Thread Information